What Did You Eat Today ?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Simon E.

Re: What Did You Eat Today ?

Post by Simon E. »

Today, sausages with herby garlicky polenta, an onion gravy, and mixed steam veg. With a glass of very nice Valpolicella.

Followed by coffee with an oat biscuit.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:55 pm Today, sausages with herby garlicky polenta, an onion gravy, and mixed steam veg. With a glass of very nice Valpolicella.

Followed by coffee with an oat biscuit.

omg...that sounds so good...i'm starving.....been thinking about taking myself out for breakfast, as i don't have eggs & stuff for a proper breakfast...but then i think...just make the best with what you have....so i'll probably make coffee & eat some nuts....i have all kinds of those....pistachio, almond, spicy Indian style peanuts.....

(5 minutes later....)

So far pistachio's & kombucha ...now the coffee is ready....
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

:thumbsup:

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Blackbread with hazelnut spread and yogurt. Chinese noodle soup.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

For lunch today I made rice noodles with oyster mushrooms, bok choy and tofu in a coconut cream sauce.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Ogaf

Post by Ogaf »

This week I will be mostly eating cake.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

For dinner I made μπουγιουρντί. In a clay casserole pot you place layers of onion (sliced in rings), diced green pepper and chilli, slices of tomato, and top it with lots of crumbled feta and cubes of yellow cheese. This is spiced with oregano, cumin, fenugreek and black pepper, drizzled with olive oil and baked in the oven.

I ate it with bread made from locally grown barley.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

On the menu for dinner tonight: seitan and vegetarian pho.

Discovering seitan was just about the only good thing to come out of 2017 for me lol.

Also slowly working my way through the Thug Cookbook series. It's has been a real lifesaver for someone looking to go from vegetarian to vegan someday. As others can attest, 9 out of 10 of vegan recipes have bizarro expensive ingredients I'll never use again or are simply gross.
Namu Amida Butsu
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Grigoris, that sounds delicious.

Last night I had a little bit of baked brie with apricot preserves on bread (appetizer), then a main course of mushroom and cream pasta, sautéed green beans, salad and then chocolate mousse for dessert.

The food was good, but the best part was the company. I was at an event for our small town symphony, which included a wild polka dancing lesson by a Harvard professor of ethnomusicology who specializes in Nordic folk dancing and the intersection of dance and sexual orientation (something like that). And I was seated next to a philosophy professor and a truck stop mogul, among other fascinating individuals.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

All you can eat buffalo chicken wings with a couple pints of beer.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

oats :twothumbsup:
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

DGA wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:31 am On the topic of Vegemite and/or Marmite: can I get some advice on what to do with the stuff? What is the best thing a body can do with a dollop of salty brown goop?
Best: on buttered toast, sparingly spread
Good: with cheese in a cheese sandwich, also dabbed on top of peanut butter on crackers or celery
Okay: with hot water in a mug - sort of broth, can also be used in cooking (sparingly) to replace stock

My personal favourite: marmite and marmalade on the same piece of toast - sweet, bitter, salty, savoury all at once

Maybe get some ideas here: https://www.marmite.co.uk/category/recipes though most of these try to complicate things too much. If you want a hit of salty, savoury goodness then you can use marmite :twothumbsup:
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Dinner:
Moroccan-style tagine of chick-peas, sausage and red onion, with multigrain bread rolls instead of the traditional flat bread. Spanish-style chorizo, for that matter.
Not my turn to cook, and dinner is always "cook's choice" here, but good Aussie tucker to finish off the Australia Day weekend. :smile:

:stirthepot:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Bristollad wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 am
DGA wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:31 am On the topic of Vegemite and/or Marmite: can I get some advice on what to do with the stuff? What is the best thing a body can do with a dollop of salty brown goop?
Vegemite versions ...
Bristollad wrote: Best: on buttered toast, sparingly spread

Good: with cheese in a cheese sandwich,
:twothumbsup:
also dabbed on top of peanut butter on crackers or celery
:thinking:
Maybe.
Okay: with hot water in a mug - sort of broth,
Old-fashioned. Supposedly to build up the strength of invalids. When I was a kid it worked pretty well as an anti-malingerant (new word - work it out! :tongue: )
can also be used in cooking (sparingly) to replace stock
My personal favourite: marmite and marmalade on the same piece of toast - sweet, bitter, salty, savoury all at once
:alien:
Definitely a personal favourite. :rolleye:

Vegemite and honey, on the other hand, is surprisingly good. :smile:
If you wanted to be more Australian, try vegemite and golden syrup.

Maybe get some ideas here: https://www.marmite.co.uk/category/recipes though most of these try to complicate things too much. If you want a hit of salty, savoury goodness then you can use marmite :twothumbsup:

Ditto http://allrecipes.com.au/recipes/tag-2203/vegemite.aspx

Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:18 pm On the menu for dinner tonight: seitan and vegetarian pho.

Discovering seitan was just about the only good thing to come out of 2017 for me lol.

Also slowly working my way through the Thug Cookbook series. It's has been a real lifesaver for someone looking to go from vegetarian to vegan someday. As others can attest, 9 out of 10 of vegan recipes have bizarro expensive ingredients I'll never use again or are simply gross.
You could try the Moosewood Cookbook http://www.molliekatzen.com/books_moose ... okbook.php
Very sensible and straightforward, not many exotic ingredients, and the food tastes fine. Our copy is decades old and still in regular use.

Kim
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Bristollad wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 amMy personal favourite: marmite and marmalade on the same piece of toast - sweet, bitter, salty, savoury all at once.
Are you insane???
Kim O'Hara wrote:Vegemite and honey, on the other hand, is surprisingly good. :smile:
Dude, you just gave Bristollad the thumbs down for his combination and you come up with this heresy???

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:33 pm
Bristollad wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 amMy personal favourite: marmite and marmalade on the same piece of toast - sweet, bitter, salty, savoury all at once.
Are you insane???
Kim O'Hara wrote:Vegemite and honey, on the other hand, is surprisingly good. :smile:
Dude, you just gave Bristollad the thumbs down for his combination and you come up with this heresy???
Yup. :smile:

I did say "surprisingly" and I meant it. Everyone else gives it the :rolleye: treatment too, but don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Kim
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Ate out today at a little French place we are fond of in London's Pimlico.

Me, moules marinier and then steak frite with bearnaise sauce.

Madam, rillette de saumon followed by gigot of lamb with haricot beans.
:smile:

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Mock cheese souffle, brussel sprouts, fried wild mushrooms with caramelised onions, beetroot salad with Greek yogurt and walnuts.

For dessert it was a chocolate praline sponge cake and a cream and preserved fruit chocolate covered sponge roll. :pig:

Had the parents over for dinner today, so my wife and my my mother cooked! :twothumbsup:

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Does cellulose count? J.k.

H2O, starches, sugars, a number of types of oils, fats, and soluble terpenoids, and flavonoids. (Coffee.)

A chocolate bar for breakfast.

If I could eat like a king every day, my diet would be something like this:

Breakfast:
Homemade espresso + Eggs / Toast / Bacon

Lunch:
Sushi (Cali Rolls, Unagi Rolls, A special roll (Usually with shrimp tempura, unagi, avocado, Pineapple + Eel sauce on top. (then fried!)

Dinner:
Butter Chicken + Nan, and Rice, and a side of Samosa Chaat.

Dessert:
Machador Ladoos, Tiramisu, Fresh made potatoe donuts, Chocolate Lava cake.

...I'm really hungry now.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.

Return to “Lounge”