What Did You Eat Today ?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Simon E.

Re: What Did You Eat Today ?

Post by Simon E. »

Sounds good to me..
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

My spouse is currently baking chocolate chip cookies for us all to enjoy.

These will surely be the best things I eat all day--maybe all week.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Bristollad wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 am
DGA wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:31 am On the topic of Vegemite and/or Marmite: can I get some advice on what to do with the stuff? What is the best thing a body can do with a dollop of salty brown goop?
Best: on buttered toast, sparingly spread
Good: with cheese in a cheese sandwich, also dabbed on top of peanut butter on crackers or celery
Okay: with hot water in a mug - sort of broth, can also be used in cooking (sparingly) to replace stock

My personal favourite: marmite and marmalade on the same piece of toast - sweet, bitter, salty, savoury all at once

Maybe get some ideas here: https://www.marmite.co.uk/category/recipes though most of these try to complicate things too much. If you want a hit of salty, savoury goodness then you can use marmite :twothumbsup:
Thanks, I'll try to wrap my mind around it.

I was thinking of trying it on avocado & tomato sandwiches on toasted sourdough. Maybe?
boda

Post by boda »

Dragonwell green tea, and I got into a habit of mixing in some black. A banana, hearty wholefoods scone thingy, Ceaser salad with cucumber and bowtie pasta, and a small grill cheese sandwich made with cheddar and wholegrain bread.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

DGA wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:55 pm
Bristollad wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 am
DGA wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:31 am On the topic of Vegemite and/or Marmite: can I get some advice on what to do with the stuff? What is the best thing a body can do with a dollop of salty brown goop?
Best: on buttered toast, sparingly spread
Good: with cheese in a cheese sandwich, also dabbed on top of peanut butter on crackers or celery
Okay: with hot water in a mug - sort of broth, can also be used in cooking (sparingly) to replace stock

My personal favourite: marmite and marmalade on the same piece of toast - sweet, bitter, salty, savoury all at once

Maybe get some ideas here: https://www.marmite.co.uk/category/recipes though most of these try to complicate things too much. If you want a hit of salty, savoury goodness then you can use marmite :twothumbsup:
Thanks, I'll try to wrap my mind around it.

I was thinking of trying it on avocado & tomato sandwiches on toasted sourdough. Maybe?
I've heard of some people eating it with avocado but I've never tried it. I know it does work well with slices of tomato.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Breakfast: Yogurt & Raspberries

Lunch: Bacon & Eggs (fried in butter with mustard seeds & cumin seeds, pinch of gram masala, coriander salt & pepper), pineapple juice & sprouted grain bread (toasted )

Diner: a piece of leftover toast & leftover pineapple juice

This week i plan on getting some marmite.......
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:02 am Breakfast: Yogurt & Raspberries

Lunch: Bacon & Eggs (fried in butter with mustard seeds & cumin seeds, pinch of gram masala, coriander salt & pepper), pineapple juice & sprouted grain bread (toasted ) & COFFEE w/ sweetened condensed milk

Diner: a piece of leftover toast & leftover pineapple juice

This week i plan on getting some marmite.......
daibunny

Post by daibunny »

Breakfast: nofat vanilla yogurt mixed with dry oats with a banana cut up in it.

Lunch: a can of pinto beans with siracha sauce, about an ounce of extra sharp cheddar and a raw onion.

Dinner will probably be an orange an apple and a banana.
Nothing remains
Of the house that I was born in--
Fireflies.

- Santoka, 1882-1940
Mountain Tasting: Zen Haiku by Santoka Taneda, 1980, p.48
Translated by John Stevens
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I quit drinking fruit juice around puberty. Cola too. Could no longer handle the sweetness...
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

DGA wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:45 am I quit drinking fruit juice around puberty. Cola too. Could no longer handle the sweetness...
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

The Cicada wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:55 am
DGA wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:45 am I quit drinking fruit juice around puberty. Cola too. Could no longer handle the sweetness...
You Southern boys do take your sweet tea seriously.

:vomit:
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

DGA wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:59 pm You Southern boys do take your sweet tea seriously.

:vomit:
Honestly, I prefer properly prepared Kool-Aid. "Oh Yeah!"
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Today I fried a little garlic in olive oil, added fresh skinned tomatoes, a diced courgette, mixed herbs, a teaspoonful of sage, a pinch of sugar, mace and paprika. Cooked it down until the courgette ( zucchini) was soft, then stirred in a tub of crab meat and served over still warm cooked pasta.
I then committed a culinary blasphemy by grating parmigiano over it.

In my defence the Brit chef Jamie Oliver said that he travelled all over Italy to research a book he was writing about Cucina Della Nonna, and he said every Nonna he met combined parmigiano with seafood.

And if it's good enough for Nonnas it's good enough for me. :smile:

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Simon E. wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:17 pm Today I fried a little garlic in olive oil, added fresh skinned tomatoes, a diced courgette, mixed herbs, a teaspoonful of sage, a pinch of sugar, mace and paprika. Cooked it down until the courgette ( zucchini) was soft, then stirred in a tub of crab meat and served over still warm cooked pasta.
I then committed a culinary blasphemy by grating parmigiano over it.

In my defence the Brit chef Jamie Oliver said that he travelled all over Italy to research a book he was writing about Cucina Della Nonna, and he said every Nonna he met combined parmigiano with seafood.

And if it's good enough for Nonnas it's good enough for me. :smile:
That's an orgasm right there.... :jawdrop:
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Sounds very nice Simon :smile:

I'm back at university now so I'll have to bow out of the thread, my dinner rotates between spaghetti Bolognese, chicken bhuna and "The Hairy Bikers" all in one spicy rice.

I'm thinking of trying some Tibetan and Nepalese recipes, has anyone in the UK had any luck in sourcing tsampa?
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:58 pm
I'm thinking of trying some Tibetan and Nepalese recipes, has anyone in the UK had any luck in sourcing tsampa?
I think you can just use barley flour? Whole Foods or similar stores would carry that, probably in bulk, or would carry this stuff.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:05 pm
I think you can just use barley flour? Whole Foods or similar stores would carry that, probably in bulk, or would carry this stuff.
Great! Thanks for this Tom
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:58 pm Sounds very nice Simon :smile:

I'm back at university now so I'll have to bow out of the thread, my dinner rotates between spaghetti Bolognese, chicken bhuna and "The Hairy Bikers" all in one spicy rice.

It's barley flour that has been toasted. I have never done it but I assume you could put a thin layer on a baking tray and put it in a low oven keeping a close eye until it colours slightly.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:23 pm
Thomas Amundsen wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:05 pm
Great! Thanks for this Tom
I dry roast it in a frying pan over a medium to high fire. Needs constant stirring. Careful because it quickly goes from a golden brown to charcoal black if you are not watching and stirring.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Breakfast
Two eggs, over easy cooked on a hot pan, generously sprinkled with cayenne pepper - enough to feel that burn - and a twist of salt. Over a bowl of white and brown blended Japanese rice. Savored the runny yoke on the rice. Big mug of black coffee. Kicking Horse - Three Sisters. Absolute best beans and roast, IMHO.

Lunch
Salami and cheese on sourdough multigrain. Bottle of water.

Dinner
We will see. Probably something a little too fancy for my taste, but my wife is cooking so I won't complain.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Lounge”