What Did You Eat Today ?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Re: What Did You Eat Today ?

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Maybe the title of this thread should be "What Did You Eliminate Today".....lol....
:toilet:

Sounds more Buddhist....but not as interesting.

Anywho....never heard of marmite. ..I find it very interesting how we eat...(one of my attachments/food )....although all things cause misery in this life....i think the pleasure of taste and smell have been my favorites. ...
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Marmite is a dark brown sandwich spread made from yeast extract..its salty and delicious..if you like that sort of thing. Often eaten by vegetarians because it is high in the 'B' group of vitamins.

It divides opinion so much that it is used as a metaphor here in the UK. Controversial people, plays, music etc are known as 'marmite' subjects..

There is a pallid Australian copy called 'Vegemite', but you can't beat the real thing.. ;)
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
sara_zen17

Post by sara_zen17 »

I ate a banana. It was very yummy :tongue:
Has anyone tried Chia pudding? My Dad made me some the other day and it was very good! I think you all should try it :twothumbsup:
I found the recipe in case you want to make it at home:
2 cups coconut milk (homemade or natural)
1/2 cup Chia Seeds.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
1/4 cup (or less) maple syrup (or sub any sweetener) :stirthepot:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Sounds delicious Sara. :smile:

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Crappy frozen pizza for breakfast and leftover beef stew. My body is a temple :twothumbsup:
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:26 pm Have you seen the new series of Marmite ads? Kids running out of the room shouting 'I hate it' etc. :lol:

I'm a huge fan myself...although I wouldn't go as far as my son who spreads it about 1/8 of an inch thick...
Nah, missed them, but I don’t tend to notice many adverts, TV adverts have always been a time to flick channels, make a cup of tea and grab a couple of digestives. Almost never watch them. I used to to do the thick spread like your son but now my tastebuds are more discerning :tongue:
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:01 pm Marmite is a dark brown sandwich spread made from yeast extract..its salty and delicious.
Well...I use to put Brewers Yeast in my OJ...it was yucky, but i did it for the health benefits...so now i will have to get some of this stuff & see how it tastes on toast...or maybe in gravy ? I didn't know they even sell it in my country ! (They do)

https://www.worldmarket.com/product/marmite.do

I'll probably find sacrilegious uses for it...like substituting it for anchovies on my pizza ?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Go sparingly with it at first...it's pretty strong.. :smile:

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:01 pm Marmite is a dark brown sandwich spread made from yeast extract..its salty and delicious..if you like that sort of thing. Often eaten by vegetarians because it is high in the 'B' group of vitamins.

It divides opinion so much that it is used as a metaphor here in the UK. Controversial people, plays, music etc are known as 'marmite' subjects..

There is a pallid Australian copy called 'Vegemite', but you can't beat the real thing.. ;)
Them's fightin' words, pardner!
:guns:

Vegemite is as important to Aussies as beer ... and that's saying something. :tongue:

Some have compared it to miso, but It's also the only food that Japanese school students visiting Australia are warned against. "Accept everything you are offered," they are told, "except Vegemite. You will find that so horrible that you won't be able to be polite enough to eat it but will want to spit it out." That's what one of our exchange students told us, anyway.

:namaste:
Kim
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Its actually very like Marmite of course.

A friend had a Scandinavian student staying with them. He tried Marmite and HATED it.. :smile:

The following Christmas my friend sent the young man the smallest size of Marmite for a laugh.

The student sent a thank you letter saying 'thanks for the 20 years supply of Marmite!...

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Well today I had
Brunch: fried egg on toast
Tea: Tuna Napolitano, then some apple and berry crumble
And plenty of tea throughout the day

Yesterday was a better day as I visited Kagyu Samye Ling so it was
Breakfast: mug of tea and toast
Lunch: jacket potato, rice and salad, followed by what I think was treacle cake
Tea: fajitas
Again plenty of tea during the day, although I had a few mugs of chai tea

Edit: tea as a meal is dinner
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

I had a Chipotle burrito with fajita veggies :)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 pm
Some have compared it to miso, but It's also the only food that Japanese school students visiting Australia are warned against. "Accept everything you are offered," they are told, "except Vegemite. You will find that so horrible that you won't be able to be polite enough to eat it but will want to spit it out." That's what one of our exchange students told us, anyway.
For context, the greater portion of Japanese cuisine is amazing. But too much of it tastes and smells like unwashed squid dicks for me to engage with it often.

On the topic of Vegemite and/or Marmite: can I get some advice on what to do with the stuff? What is the best thing a body can do with a dollop of salty brown goop?
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Best thing I ate today was a cup of Greek yogurt with black cherry bits blended in
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Wabi-sabi ramen with a bit of vinegar, some carrots, spinach leaves, and an air of pretentiousness. Eaten with chopsticks.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

DGA wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:31 am
Kim O'Hara wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 pm
For context, the greater portion of Japanese cuisine is amazing. But too much of it tastes and smells like unwashed squid dicks for me to engage with it often.

On the topic of Vegemite and/or Marmite: can I get some advice on what to do with the stuff? What is the best thing a body can do with a dollop of salty brown goop?
Rub a bit behind each ear as a drop-bear repellent.

:popcorn:
Kim
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

7 beef momos, with good soy sauce and home-made Tibetan Chili sauce. A nice Spring Green salad with almonds, dried cranberries and feta, and a sesame Rice vinegar "Asian" dressing. A glass and a half of Bogle Zin, And a chocolate "Flax Gluten Free" brownie thingie which was quite satisfying. Now I am making some nice oolong, and will do my evening practice.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

PS I enjoy marmite and vegemite, to some degree. Must be in the blood.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Oats.

Return to “Lounge”