What is a Man?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: What is a Man?

Post by Queequeg »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:37 pm A man is someone born into the male gender.
When I was a student, I interned with a labor law firm that counted many Teamsters locals as their clients (for those who may not know, the Teamsters is the name for the union representing truck drivers and warehousemen). This was one of the war stories I heard one of the attorneys tell.

A foreman in one of the locals apparently was a 6'2" man who wore dresses. I don't know what the PC nomenclature is for that.

He/She wanted to use the women's bathroom and the employer didn't want to permit it. This was twenty or so years ago before all this gender stuff became what it is now. The dispute ended up in binding arbitration, as required for almost all disputes arising under a collective bargaining agreement. The arbitrator himself was a grizzled old fella who had been in the trucking industry since Jimmy Hoffa was alive. The sides made their opening statements and then the arbitrator looked at the foreman and asked, "Do you stand or sit?"

The foreman wasn't expecting the question and stammered, "I stand."

The arbitrator said, "You use the men's bathroom."
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:56 pm
He/She wanted to use the women's bathroom and the employer didn't want to permit it. This was twenty or so years ago before all this gender stuff became what it is now. The dispute ended up in binding arbitration, as required for almost all disputes arising under a collective bargaining agreement. The arbitrator himself was a grizzled old fella who had been in the trucking industry since Jimmy Hoffa was alive. The sides made their opening statements and then the arbitrator looked at the foreman and asked, "Do you stand or sit?"

Oh, by that standard Buddhist monks have to use the lady's room. They are required to squat or sit when urinating. No pulling up the robes and standing...
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:49 pm nonbinary gendered people were incapable of being a basis for receiving Buddhist discipline.
'Nonbinary gendered' .............

This definition applies only to a handful of people each year born with both male and female genitalia. Hermaphroditism isn't a dirty word.

Good that the ancient folk thought of them, but I can't help thinking you are applying a modern trendy term very inaccurately.......you mean those who think of themselves as 'nonbinary gendered' and may behave that way, rather than people who actually are.

The modern gender creation industry should not be encouraged by using their invented fantasies as if they are in any way applicable.
Last edited by Mantrik on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:59 pm Oh, by that standard Buddhist monks have to use the lady's room. They are required to squat or sit when urinating. No pulling up the robes and standing...
Well, urinating in one of those squats can get kind of messy... that's quite a bit of vertical to a hard surface.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:59 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Oh, by that standard Buddhist monks have to use the lady's room. They are required to squat or sit when urinating. No pulling up the robes and standing...
Never been to Tibet. Traditionally, squat hole-in-the floor? In India, squatting for men avoids spraying piss all over the walls........or is that just me? :)

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:52 pm
Norwegian wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:39 pm
In some more radical extremist corners today, this Buddhist point of view would be regarded as hate-speech and as an act of violence...
In other parts of the world, just being a Buddhist may very well get you killed.
In those parts of the world your mere existence is enough to get you killed, whether you are Buddhist or not.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:02 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:49 pm nonbinary gendered people were incapable of being a basis for receiving Buddhist discipline.
"Nonbinary" is the direct translation of the Tibetan term for such folks, ma ning.
Quay

Post by Quay »

This is Violet Chachki. He may be more man than most here and more woman than any will ever see or get.

"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:36 pm
"Nonbinary" is the direct translation of the Tibetan term for such folks, ma ning.
In that context containing the unity of both? As with Mahakala Maning.

'Nonbinary' seems to mean unable to identify as either, which is a different thing of very modern coinage.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:42 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:36 pm

In that context containing the unity of both? As with Mahakala Maning.

'Nonbinary' seems to mean unable to identify as either, which is a different thing of very modern coinage.
Not really.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Honestly, I think it's about time we all started ma ning up.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

dzogchungpa wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:38 pm Honestly, I think it's about time we all started ma ning up.
Mahakala Maning is a eunuch, so unless you have no need for your family jewels...

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:39 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:38 pm Honestly, I think it's about time we all started ma ning up.
Mahakala Maning is a eunuch, so unless you have no need for your family jewels...

Sorry, that was autocorrect.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Inaccurate. Maning combines both male and female attributes. Not the same as a male eunuch.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Actually, this is a mistake made frequently by Western translators who do not understand the meaning as they have not received teachings on this form of Mahakala. Maning in Maning Gonpo refers to nonduality, and also the fact that it is the source of all the other Mahakala emanations.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I guess we need a "What is a Maning?" thread now.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

dzogchungpa wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:35 pm I'm going for Christian Grey.
That's funny, I had you picked out as more of a Dorian.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Sorry for any misinformation about Mahakala Maning, I got the info from himalayanart.org which normally is quite good.

Return to “Lounge”