Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
MatthewAngby
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 am

Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by MatthewAngby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:42 am

I started watching American horror story coven and was greatly interested in Wiccan arts. I’m not abandoning the dharma haha but this may just be my hobby. Anyways I once went to a Wiccan shop , smelled their herbs and investigated their products - a very weird and demonic presence I felt. ( I have a bit of six sense - told by someone )

Is there any witches or wiccans here that pratice the buddhadharma too? I for one personally feel that they are ok and are not to be outcasted. I have great respect for the arts of the occult and magic. But Wiccan and witches who are on dharma wheel , tell me about how compatible Wiccan religion and dharma is and if I can pratice both . ( keep in mind I only take the Wiccan craft as a hobby and not a main religion ).

amanitamusc
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by amanitamusc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 am

MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:42 am
I started watching American horror story coven and was greatly interested in Wiccan arts. I’m not abandoning the dharma haha but this may just be my hobby. Anyways I once went to a Wiccan shop , smelled their herbs and investigated their products - a very weird and demonic presence I felt. ( I have a bit of six sense - told by someone )

Is there any witches or wiccans here that pratice the buddhadharma too? I for one personally feel that they are ok and are not to be outcasted. I have great respect for the arts of the occult and magic. But Wiccan and witches who are on dharma wheel , tell me about how compatible Wiccan religion and dharma is and if I can pratice both . ( keep in mind I only take the Wiccan craft as a hobby and not a main religion ).
My Mom is an old wiccan and now she is a Dzogchen practitioner. :thumbsup:
She introduced me to wicca and i enjoyed it but Vajrayana is Magic and more.
Western magic has sketchy lineage.

MatthewAngby
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 am

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by MatthewAngby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 am

amanitamusc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 am
MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:42 am
I started watching American horror story coven and was greatly interested in Wiccan arts. I’m not abandoning the dharma haha but this may just be my hobby. Anyways I once went to a Wiccan shop , smelled their herbs and investigated their products - a very weird and demonic presence I felt. ( I have a bit of six sense - told by someone )

Is there any witches or wiccans here that pratice the buddhadharma too? I for one personally feel that they are ok and are not to be outcasted. I have great respect for the arts of the occult and magic. But Wiccan and witches who are on dharma wheel , tell me about how compatible Wiccan religion and dharma is and if I can pratice both . ( keep in mind I only take the Wiccan craft as a hobby and not a main religion ).
My Mom is an old wiccan and now she is a Dzogchen practitioner. :thumbsup:
She introduced me to wicca and i enjoyed it but Vajrayana is Magic and more.
Western magic has sketchy lineage.
What do you mean vajrayana is magic and more? You’re getting me interested. Main reason why I love Wiccan arts is because of their dancing naked in the moonlight and because they are so dark and look so scary ( which I love ).
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda

amanitamusc
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by amanitamusc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:43 am

MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 am
amanitamusc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 am
MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:42 am
I started watching American horror story coven and was greatly interested in Wiccan arts. I’m not abandoning the dharma haha but this may just be my hobby. Anyways I once went to a Wiccan shop , smelled their herbs and investigated their products - a very weird and demonic presence I felt. ( I have a bit of six sense - told by someone )

Is there any witches or wiccans here that pratice the buddhadharma too? I for one personally feel that they are ok and are not to be outcasted. I have great respect for the arts of the occult and magic. But Wiccan and witches who are on dharma wheel , tell me about how compatible Wiccan religion and dharma is and if I can pratice both . ( keep in mind I only take the Wiccan craft as a hobby and not a main religion ).
My Mom is an old wiccan and now she is a Dzogchen practitioner. :thumbsup:
She introduced me to wicca and i enjoyed it but Vajrayana is Magic and more.
Western magic has sketchy lineage.
What do you mean vajrayana is magic and more? You’re getting me interested. Main reason why I love Wiccan arts is because of their dancing naked in the moonlight and because they are so dark and look so scary ( which I love ).
Both Wicca and Vajrayana have to be experienced like smelling the one you love most .Enjoy!

MatthewAngby
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 am

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by MatthewAngby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:11 am

amanitamusc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:43 am
MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 am
amanitamusc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 am


My Mom is an old wiccan and now she is a Dzogchen practitioner. :thumbsup:
She introduced me to wicca and i enjoyed it but Vajrayana is Magic and more.
Western magic has sketchy lineage.
What do you mean vajrayana is magic and more? You’re getting me interested. Main reason why I love Wiccan arts is because of their dancing naked in the moonlight and because they are so dark and look so scary ( which I love ).
Both Wicca and Vajrayana have to be experienced like smelling the one you love most .Enjoy!
Well I think I have heard on the web that if one pratice Dzogchen , then u can pratice Wicca or any others ( correct me if I am wrong ). This I do not know to be from a legit source. But could you ask your mother if that is True?

Wicca is just some cool stuff for me but TB is still my favourite .
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda

Fortyeightvows
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 am

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:14 am

Its like picking out a product at a store.

Religion is supposed to move a person, to change a person. To hold the deitys in our hearts and in our homes, not to be consumed until we are finished with them.

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by Mantrik » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 am

Wicca is invented modern fantasy, as is Druidism. These days the fakers tend to offer Shamanism as the latest label for their drivel.
Having read you posts I think you should avoid anything of that Nature until you have attained some tranquility and stability. More bad dreams will not be at all helpful.

You'll easily find some poseur offering naked sweatlodge killbunny divination etc. but why chase after an expensive burger when you can have a banquet for free?

I'm sure quite a few of us found various 'occult' teachings and practices in our younger days........the fact that we now practise Vajrayana and Dzogchen should tell you something.

Maybe check out the 5 Elements practices of ChNN and spend time working with them, or Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's 'Healing with Form, Energy and Light'.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

MatthewAngby
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 am

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by MatthewAngby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 am

Mantrik wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 am


I'm sure quite a few of us found various 'occult' teachings and practices in our younger days........the fact that we now practise Vajrayana and Dzogchen should tell you something.

You mean it is safer and more reliable than these Wiccan arts?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by Mantrik » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:33 am

MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 am
Mantrik wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 am


I'm sure quite a few of us found various 'occult' teachings and practices in our younger days........the fact that we now practise Vajrayana and Dzogchen should tell you something.

You mean it is safer and more reliable than these Wiccan arts?
For me yes. It depends what you want.

No spiritual practice with rituals, spirits etc. is free of risk to your mind, which is why you should always begin with the Guru.

I do have a close friend who is a famous pagan author, but she abandoned the Wiccan stuff very early on. Most of the ones I respect follow a solitary nature-based path and eschew the newly invented formalised rituals. In the end, we all interact with the energies around us and want to find a happy way to live.

It is up to us to decide what we want to attain and follow the path best suited to our goals. Maybe make a list of what it is you want as your destination and then check out the paths available.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

MatthewAngby
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 am

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by MatthewAngby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:43 am

Mantrik wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:33 am
MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 am
Mantrik wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 am


I'm sure quite a few of us found various 'occult' teachings and practices in our younger days........the fact that we now practise Vajrayana and Dzogchen should tell you something.

You mean it is safer and more reliable than these Wiccan arts?
For me yes. It depends what you want.

No spiritual practice with rituals, spirits etc. is free of risk to your mind, which is why you should always begin with the Guru.

I do have a close friend who is a famous pagan author, but she abandoned the Wiccan stuff very early on. Most of the ones I respect follow a solitary nature-based path and eschew the newly invented formalised rituals. In the end, we all interact with the energies around us and want to find a happy way to live.

It is up to us to decide what we want to attain and follow the path best suited to our goals. Maybe make a list of what it is you want as your destination and then check out the paths available.
Well I want to pratice magic , but why I take Wicca as a hobby, is because I know it’s not possible to attain enlightenment with that ( I think ). I want to pratice in a tradition where there’s magic involved and that I know that I will get enlightened in that tradition. In that case, what is the Buddhist tradition that fits my interest?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda

krodha
Posts: 2440
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by krodha » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:45 am

MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 am
Main reason why I love Wiccan arts is because of their dancing naked in the moonlight and because they are so dark and look so scary ( which I love ).
Vajrayāna ganacakras used to feature such activities as well.

Soma999
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by Soma999 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 am

Mahayana and Wicca are not the same. They are indeed very different. Wicca can be many things : a "new religion" which takes roots from some occultist in england, and it integrates also knowledge of a mystical apprach of nature. Well, it integrated many things, and there is not one wicca, but many wiccas.

You can find good things, you can find useless things, and you can find very dangerous and negative things, because you know when people are naive, predators of all kind (energetic, sectary, sexual ...) are always close.

Really reflect and investigate deeply what you really want.

My opinion is to follow a spiritual teaching first, based upon increase of consciousness. I already gave you advise and if you are interested you can read some answers i offered you. I won't repeat myself.

The spiritual base allow you then to come to magic and all the "tasty" stuff without danger, and with efficiency.

Be honest with yourself, and have coherence. Look for what you really want.

One of the best advise i feel for you is to connect to authentic teacher with whom you resonnate, and not necessarily buddhist, as wisdom is universal, and a true guru will never block you in a certain "case" but open the whole universe for you.

Personaly i find nothing wrong with experimentation. But do it with wisdom, and hold on to something authentic at the same time.

MatthewAngby
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 am

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by MatthewAngby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:05 am

krodha wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:45 am
MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 am
Main reason why I love Wiccan arts is because of their dancing naked in the moonlight and because they are so dark and look so scary ( which I love ).
Vajrayāna ganacakras used to feature such activities as well.
Do they still do?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda

MatthewAngby
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:51 am

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by MatthewAngby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:05 am

Soma999 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 am
Mahayana and Wicca are not the same. They are indeed very different. Wicca can be many things : a "new religion" which takes roots from some occultist in england, and it integrates also knowledge of a mystical apprach of nature. Well, it integrated many things, and there is not one wicca, but many wiccas.

You can find good things, you can find useless things, and you can find very dangerous and negative things, because you know when people are naive, predators of all kind (energetic, sectary, sexual ...) are always close.

Really reflect and investigate deeply what you really want.

My opinion is to follow a spiritual teaching first, based upon increase of consciousness. I already gave you advise and if you are interested you can read some answers i offered you. I won't repeat myself.

The spiritual base allow you then to come to magic and all the "tasty" stuff without danger, and with efficiency.

Be honest with yourself, and have coherence. Look for what you really want.

One of the best advise i feel for you is to connect to authentic teacher with whom you resonnate, and not necessarily buddhist, as wisdom is universal, and a true guru will never block you in a certain "case" but open the whole universe for you.

Personaly i find nothing wrong with experimentation. But do it with wisdom, and hold on to something authentic at the same time.
But can the non Buddhist teacher make me attain enlightenment still?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by Mantrik » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 am

MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:43 am
Mantrik wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:33 am
MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 am


You mean it is safer and more reliable than these Wiccan arts?
For me yes. It depends what you want.

No spiritual practice with rituals, spirits etc. is free of risk to your mind, which is why you should always begin with the Guru.

I do have a close friend who is a famous pagan author, but she abandoned the Wiccan stuff very early on. Most of the ones I respect follow a solitary nature-based path and eschew the newly invented formalised rituals. In the end, we all interact with the energies around us and want to find a happy way to live.

It is up to us to decide what we want to attain and follow the path best suited to our goals. Maybe make a list of what it is you want as your destination and then check out the paths available.
Well I want to pratice magic , but why I take Wicca as a hobby, is because I know it’s not possible to attain enlightenment with that ( I think ). I want to pratice in a tradition where there’s magic involved and that I know that I will get enlightened in that tradition. In that case, what is the Buddhist tradition that fits my interest?
Aro gTer? They allegedly do naked.
Celtic Buddhism? Mix of pagan and cod dharma.
Or one of those quasi-Buddhist cults where you get screwed in every respect?

Keep asking and sooner or later someone will tell you it is OK to be a Wiccan Vajrayana Dzogchenpa, but by then you'll probably have started a thread asking if it is OK to be a hallucinogenic plant gobbler because you read Castaneda and want to fly whilst training your mind to travel to a Pure Land or two.

I hope you find out what it is you actually want and find a path, but I'll end where we began:

Ask Your Guru!!
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Soma999
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by Soma999 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm

There is no guarantee in life, buddhist or not buddhist.

Some awakened while going to the toilet, some awakened while washing their teeth. And some awakened with their Guru.

But one thing that is for sure is that by associating yourself with a true guru, certainly the wisdom you gain can change and transform your life.

Maybe you think too much. Live is also to be lived. And you can practice also. And the two helps each other : you integrate in your life what you practice everyday.

And everyday you grow, and you adapt. Don't be rigid. You will find Buddha more present in a compassionate heart than in a rigid mind, even if this "mind" is "buddhist".

User avatar
Dan74
Founding Member
Posts: 2486
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm
Location: Lyss, Switzerland

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by Dan74 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:36 pm

You can just play D&D, imagine yourself an enlightened wizard and go to Alternative Music festivals (they dance naked). Might satisfy most of your wishes better than either Wicca and Vajrayana.

These are all wishes and fantasies that the self produces out of desire and wanting to be more special. Buddhism of all kinds is about letting go of all that stuff.

marting
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by marting » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:41 pm

If you want to learn magic from the top magical grimoire published in the world today, start here.

User avatar
Carlita
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:51 am

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by Carlita » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:48 pm

MatthewAngby wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:42 am
I started watching American horror story coven and was greatly interested in Wiccan arts. I’m not abandoning the dharma haha but this may just be my hobby. Anyways I once went to a Wiccan shop , smelled their herbs and investigated their products - a very weird and demonic presence I felt. ( I have a bit of six sense - told by someone )

Is there any witches or wiccans here that pratice the buddhadharma too? I for one personally feel that they are ok and are not to be outcasted. I have great respect for the arts of the occult and magic. But Wiccan and witches who are on dharma wheel , tell me about how compatible Wiccan religion and dharma is and if I can pratice both . ( keep in mind I only take the Wiccan craft as a hobby and not a main religion ).
I dont see why it matters. I have a shrine for my ancestors and recently loved ones. I talk to them daily with their real ashes etc. The Buddha was more concerned with using these things in place of his teachings for enlightenment. So for example, if you used magic to follow Buddha's teachings, that wouls be wrong. If you follow The Buddha's teachings and not attach yourself outside of it, then it doesnt matter.

As for what type of magic, The Buddha does talk about sexual promiscuity and not to take pleasure in watching people die such as in action and horror movies. Meditate and find the connection between the magic and what The Buddha taught.

Also, it depends on the tradition. Tantra is somewhat magical. As for Wicca, its a Eureopean practice. I dont know any buddhist tradition close to wicca if going by practice depends on foundations of the religion. Like all god(s) faiths, The Buddha is opposed to it being a source of enlightenment.

As a hobby, The Buddha isnt god; so, I dont see How he could care nor why.
[The Buddha says to his monks], when he opens his mouth to expound or when he reads the sutra, he should not delight in speaking of the faults of other people or scriptures. He should not display contempt for other teachers of the Law or speak of the good or bad, the strong or weak points of others. -Saddharma Puṇḍarīka Sūtra
:anjali:

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 18010
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Wiccan arts and the Mahayana

Post by Grigoris » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:55 pm

Carlita wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:48 pm
As for what type of magic, The Buddha does talk about sexual promiscuity and not to take pleasure in watching people die such as in action and horror movies.
They had movies in the Buddha's time?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Locked

Return to “Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: deff, Rick and 73 guests