Can other religions/philosophies/practises complement Buddhadharma?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Malcolm

Re: Can other religions/philosophies/practises complement Buddhadharma?

Post by Malcolm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:00 pm
No Mind,

I find the approach as outlined here quite rigid as well. Life/spiritual practice are organic, not formulaic. Signposts (as in the Dharma) and one-to-one guidance from a teacher who knows your heart are vital, I agree, but any dogmatic approach as to what one needs (without even knowing where one is coming from) is naive at best.

Fora being the way they are, the view you are exposed here is symptomatic of this Forum's culture rather than what you are likely to hear in Vajrayana or Zen centres (in my experience), especially as a newcomer.

_/|\_
Everyone needs right view to practice Dharma. There is no way out otherwise.
Last edited by Malcolm on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:00 pm
No Mind,

I find the approach as outlined here quite rigid as well. Life/spiritual practice are organic, not formulaic. Signposts (as in the Dharma) and one-to-one guidance from a teacher who knows your heart are vital, I agree, but any dogmatic approach as to what one needs (without even knowing where one is coming from) is naive at best.

Fora being the way they are, the view you are exposed here is symptomatic of this Forum's culture rather than what you are likely to hear in Vajrayana or Zen centres (in my experience), especially as a newcomer.

_/|\_
Also, these days most people are just into what feels good.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:20 pm

“Malcolm” wrote:The other reason why Wayfarer is completely mistaken on this point is that he believes there is something ultimate beyond phenomena which must be realized. He thinks the unborn, etc. refers to something real.
It is not something, but also not nothing.

But that’s not the reason. It’s because we all have to get along in a pluralistic world. Most of my relatives are Christian (or post-Christian). My sons both had Bible readings at their weddings. Of course the family understands and respects my commitment to Buddhism, and I don’t get involved in any conversion-type debates with my relatives - it’s live and let live. (Actually some of the younger generation of the extended family have been on the Goenka retreat - but then, Goenka doesn’t describe what he teaches as ‘Buddhism’, does he.)

The very least attractive aspect of Buddhists, to me, is when they criticise Christianity - and vice versa! When that happens, I just want to walk away from the whole business.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:23 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:55 pm
Norwegian wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:51 pm
Wayfarer wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:08 pm
I don't agree with any form of 'religious triumphalism' - this way is the only way. We live in a pluralistic society which can accommodate many ways. And besides:

As someone who goes for refuge to the Buddha, I have accepted the Buddha (indeed any Buddha) as the ultimate authority on Buddhadharma.

The Buddha then stating that outside of his teachings there is no liberation, means it's highly arrogant of me to question that statement (in the sense of implying that the Buddha is mistaken, and yet still after that say that I go for refuge to the Buddha). Or, if not arrogant, then just ignorant (how can I know more about these things than the Buddha himself?). The Buddha is a Buddha. This is supposed to mean something. If the Buddha says something, then I listen to it.

My attitude is that if I don't understand something, then I want to understand why it is so and so, instead of just discarding it. So far this has not disappointed me or let me down.

The other reason why Wayfarer is completely mistaken on this point is that he believes there is something ultimate beyond phenomena which must be realized. He thinks the unborn, etc. refers to something real.
And for however long you hold that kind of view, for that long you'll remain mistaken. It is honestly quite straightforward: A basic study of Madhyamaka should dispense with that kind of view (of there being something truly real, somehow).

Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:36 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:20 pm
But that’s not the reason. It’s because we all have to get along in a pluralistic world.
We can all respect each other while still maintaining our separate views. Besides a little friction is always fun.
Then, the Licchavi Vimalakīrti spoke to the elder Śāriputra and the great disciples: “Reverends, eat of the food of the Tathāgata! It is ambrosia perfumed by the great compassion. But do not fix your minds in narrow-minded attitudes, lest you be unable to receive its gift.”

- Chapter 9, The Feast Brought by the Emanated Incarnation
The Noble Mahāyāna Sūtra “The Teaching of Vimalakīrti”

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:38 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
It’s because we all have to get along in a pluralistic world.
I think you're misinterpreting something again.

The idea that, just because Buddhists (the Buddha really) somehow disagree with the conclusion of other religions or worldviews, that means Buddhists can't get along with other people, somehow.

I get along perfectly fine with atheists, Christians, Muslims, and so on, that I have met over the years, and will continue to meet. I also don't proclaim to others that I'm a Buddhist, nor do I engage in conversations about "worldview" etc. outside of Buddhist circles, primarily because it's a waste of time, and also because if I truly were to state how I feel, it'd a.) Reveal me as a Buddhist and in many circumstances that's not something I am interested in, but b.) It may make other people uncomfortable to hear refutations of their views on things using Buddhist logic etc. It serves no purpose really. So, these discussions we're having here, are fit on a Buddhist forum for Buddhist people. Or if you're not a Buddhist and you come here, you do so knowing well that it is a Buddhist forum after all.

We can get along just fine with people. Let your outer conduct be informed by the ethics and morality of the Buddha's teachings, and let your inner view and experience be informed by Bodhicitta and Shunyata. You don't have to tell anybody if you're a Buddhist or not, people will appreciate you the way you are just fine. And if they don't, there's no problem anyways.

The Buddha in many sutras criticized wrong view, many different kinds of wrong views, and likewise did many other great masters after him. It is not done in order to hurt those people, but in order to clarify and inform, to bring clarity to the table. For those who are Buddhists already, it is important to know why something is a wrong view, because being sentient beings means we have a wrong view by default. If we are Buddhists, it is reasonable to assume it's because we want to do something about that problem, of being a sentient being. The Buddha is not a sentient being. How then can we become Buddhas? That is what the Buddha taught.

If there are texts outlining different views as being wrong views, we don't use those texts as hammers to hit other people with who holds those views, we use them to train ourselves to recognize those views if and when they arise in our own minds, and then we utilize the instructions we've received on this path to make sure right view takes root in our minds.

So, it's not a problem.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:39 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
“Malcolm” wrote:The other reason why Wayfarer is completely mistaken on this point is that he believes there is something ultimate beyond phenomena which must be realized. He thinks the unborn, etc. refers to something real.
And thus you stuck in the third extreme, positing something which is not nothing but also not something, which is just the extreme of existence restated.

But that’s not the reason. It’s because we all have to get along in a pluralistic world. Most of my relatives are Christian (or post-Christian). My sons both had Bible readings at their weddings.
Yes, but this a Buddhist forum, and not your parlor. In your parlor, I wouldn't even discuss Buddhism, unless there was clear interest.

I don't discuss Buddhism with people unless they show interest.

Here, it is a different story. We are here to discuss Buddhadharma, and part of that discussion involves why Buddhadharma is unique and why it alone offers ultimate freedom.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:23 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Norwegian wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:51 pm

As someone who goes for refuge to the Buddha, I have accepted the Buddha (indeed any Buddha) as the ultimate authority on Buddhadharma.

The Buddha then stating that outside of his teachings there is no liberation, means it's highly arrogant of me to question that statement (in the sense of implying that the Buddha is mistaken, and yet still after that say that I go for refuge to the Buddha). Or, if not arrogant, then just ignorant (how can I know more about these things than the Buddha himself?). The Buddha is a Buddha. This is supposed to mean something. If the Buddha says something, then I listen to it.

My attitude is that if I don't understand something, then I want to understand why it is so and so, instead of just discarding it. So far this has not disappointed me or let me down.

The other reason why Wayfarer is completely mistaken on this point is that he believes there is something ultimate beyond phenomena which must be realized. He thinks the unborn, etc. refers to something real.
And for however long you hold that kind of view, for that long you'll remain mistaken. It is honestly quite straightforward: A basic study of Madhyamaka should dispense with that kind of view (of there being something truly real, somehow).
Wayfarer has an aversion to Nāgārjuna, he understands it to be a form of nihilism.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 pm
Norwegian wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:23 pm
Malcolm wrote:

Wayfarer has an aversion to Nāgārjuna, he understands it to be a form of nihilism.
Yup, and he is sadly terribly mistaken about that.

Quay

Post by Quay » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 pm

Tiago Simões wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:36 pm
Wayfarer wrote:
But that’s not the reason. It’s because we all have to get along in a pluralistic world.
We can all respect each other while still maintaining our separate views. Besides a little friction is always fun.
Yes. And definitely yes.
"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.

Quay

Post by Quay » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:45 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:39 pm
... We are here to discuss Buddhadharma, and part of that discussion involves why Buddhadharma is unique and why it alone offers ultimate freedom.
I sometimes show those who show interest a picture of the Wheel of Life as represented in Tibetan iconography and thangkas. I usually then explain of all the religions, paths, and, philosophies of the world only one knows the way off the wheel, so to speak. I think this is important, very much so, this unique aspect of Buddhism offering ultimate freedom. Otherwise, what really would be the point?

But otherwise I'm happy to get along with anyone and focus on what we have in common rather than what we hold in difference.
"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.

Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:50 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:39 pm
the third extreme, positing something which is not nothing but also not something, which is just the extreme of existence restated.
The usage of "neither the same nor different" also falls into that problem of establishing an object, yes?
Last edited by Losal Samten on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Wayfarer wrote:

But that’s not the reason. It’s because we all have to get along in a pluralistic world. Most of my relatives are Christian (or post-Christian). My sons both had Bible readings at their weddings. Of course the family understands and respects my commitment to Buddhism, and I don’t get involved in any conversion-type debates with my relatives - it’s live and let live. (Actually some of the younger generation of the extended family have been on the Goenka retreat - but then, Goenka doesn’t describe what he teaches as ‘Buddhism’, does he.)

The very least attractive aspect of Buddhists, to me, is when they criticise Christianity - and vice versa! When that happens, I just want to walk away from the whole business.
Strange isn't it. You join of your own volition a forum that says that its reason for existence is the discussion of Buddhism and then the sods turn round and insist on talking about Buddhism rather than whatever it is you want to talk about..its a scandal. :smile:
Taking advantage of a temporary situation. Back for a short time only folks.

Kunga Lhadzom

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:24 am

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:41 pm
Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:33 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:12 pm
If liberation does not come from right view, than liberation has no cause and can arise at any time in anyone, whether they realized emptiness or not.
But it would arise, if the karma for it ripened...maybe they practiced in a past life ?

Also if there is no begining. ...no cause to cause a begining....why couldn't liberation arise spontaneously ?
Why? It is because of the innate grasping at a nonexistent self which has not been eradicated by the realization of the emptiness of persons and phenomena that liberation cannot arise spontaneously. Since every other religion posits some kind of self as an ultimate reality, liberation is not possible for them.

Ok...i know you have studied and comprehend more than me...i only ask questions to understand ...not to think i know more than you....i think you are a genius by the way....and i have only average intelligence....but i think it is possible that someone could meditate on their own, and have the realization of Dependent Origination/Emptiness, without studying Buddhism/Buddhadharma.

Why ? Because it's just logic. No ?

Also....if it's logic, there should be a formula in physics to explain emptiness.
Would it be the symbol for infinity ?
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......rocks rolling in my head...lemon juice dripping down my chin....

https://drunklotus.blog

Motova

Post by Motova » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:38 am

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:24 am
....and i have only average intelligence....
Considering average IQ goes up each generation, relative to the people living at the time Buddha taught you would be beyond Einstein level intelligence. They just had a lot less distractions and afflictions.

Sandhi if you want to be as smart as Malcolm then get these books and develop a photographic memory (mnemonics + age regression), and extrapolate when you sleep (lucid dreaming).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/034537 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/156924 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/067121 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/161564 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/184590 ... UTF8&psc=1
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 am

Malcolm wrote:Wayfarer has an aversion to Nāgārjuna, he understands it to be a form of nihilism.
The way Nāgārjuna is presented often is nihilistic. To say that nothing is real, or nothing exists, is nihilist, and it's also not what Nāgārjuna says. Which is that things are empty of own-being, not merely or simply non-existent. Empty =/= non-existent. There are degrees of reality, that is why there can be 'two truths'.

I recognise and salute the superiority of the Buddha, otherwise I wouldn't consider myself Buddhist. But I can't agree with the statement that Buddhism is the only source of truth. What I see in the world's' wisdom traditions, are accounts of the encounter with the Infinite, which is clearly embodied in Mahayana Buddhism. Buddhists have the best way of dealing with it - most consistent, most logical, and most profound. That's why I consider myself Buddhist. But it doesn't make everyone else's understanding wrong - that is just the kind of attitude that caused me to leave Christianity.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

ItsRaining

Re: Hello All

Post by ItsRaining » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 am

pael wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 am
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:14 pm
nonbuddhist masters, the height of their wisdom and words do not even reach the bottom slopes of the Buddha's incomparable wisdom.
Dao De Jing:
The Reason that can be reasoned
is not the eternal Reason.
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.
Could you tell wiser words than these, please?
Is it definition of Ultimate Truth or Emptiness?
Laotzu wasn't Buddhist.
pael wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 am
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:14 pm
nonbuddhist masters, the height of their wisdom and words do not even reach the bottom slopes of the Buddha's incomparable wisdom.
Dao De Jing:
The Reason that can be reasoned
is not the eternal Reason.
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.
Could you tell wiser words than these, please?
Is it definition of Ultimate Truth or Emptiness?
Laotzu wasn't Buddhist.
The Chan Master Hanshan Deqing points out Laozi's problems quite clearly. He mistakes the body of the Alaya which is referred to in the Surangama Sutra as the subtle thoughts of nothingness to be the course of the Dao. So he said that is was flurried and indistinct, “within it are semblances”. So that it cannot be seen through, it's entire essence is unseen/Avidya. He saw that the essence of it was impossible to comprehend, and had inconceivable transformation so he called it the mystery of mysteries. But in the end he didn't know what it truly was and how it existed at all so he called it 自然/Natural/Of itself which is no different to other relgions the Buddha encountered which posited that things to exist with no causes and could cause themselves.

So although he was close he didn't hit the mark.

认八识精明之体即楞严所谓罔象虚无微细精想者、以为妙道之源耳。故曰、惚兮恍、其中有象。恍兮惚、其中有物。以其此识乃全体无明、观之不透。故曰、杳杳冥冥、其中有精。以其识体不思议熏不思议变。故曰玄之又玄。而称之曰妙道。以天地万物皆从此中变现。故曰、天地之根、众妙之门。不知其所以然而然、故庄称自然。

Kunga Lhadzom

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:58 am

Motova wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:38 am
Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:24 am
....and i have only average intelligence....
Considering average IQ goes up each generation, relative to the people living at the time Buddha taught you would be beyond Einstein level intelligence. They just had a lot less distractions and afflictions.

Sandhi if you want to be as smart as Malcolm then get these books and develop a photographic memory (mnemonics + age regression), and extrapolate when you sleep (lucid dreaming).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/034537 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/156924 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/067121 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/161564 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/184590 ... UTF8&psc=1

Did you do this ? Did your intelligence improve ? Can people with average intelligence train to become a genius ????????
Does your brain grow bigger ? What does age regression do to your intelligence ???? Very interesting, thanks Motova :heart:
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......rocks rolling in my head...lemon juice dripping down my chin....

https://drunklotus.blog

Motova

Post by Motova » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:00 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 am
Malcolm wrote:Wayfarer has an aversion to Nāgārjuna, he understands it to be a form of nihilism.
The way Nāgārjuna is presented often is nihilistic. To say that nothing is real, or nothing exists, is nihilist, and it's also not what Nāgārjuna says. Which is that things are empty of own-being, not merely or simply non-existent. Empty =/= non-existent. There are degrees of reality, that is why there can be 'two truths'.

I recognise and salute the superiority of the Buddha, otherwise I wouldn't consider myself Buddhist. But I can't agree with the statement that Buddhism is the only source of truth. What I see in the world's' wisdom traditions, are accounts of the encounter with the Infinite, which is clearly embodied in Mahayana Buddhism. Buddhists have the best way of dealing with it - most consistent, most logical, and most profound. That's why I consider myself Buddhist. But it doesn't make everyone else's understanding wrong - that is just the kind of attitude that caused me to leave Christianity.
If any other path had the same realization then why wouldn't they teacher emptiness or dependent origination?
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:06 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:29 pm
And exactly the same thing is being said of Christianity on Christian forums, and I don't accept that, either. I think liberation is ultimately beyond religions altogether - it is what they are pointing out, or pointing to, but as the parable says, they are 'fingers pointing at the moon'. The ultimate goal is not Buddhist or Hindu or Christian, those distinctions only exist in the domain of phenomena. But I'm not going to get into a long polemical debate about it.
They clearly aren't pointing to the same moon lmao.

Return to “Lounge”