Dog thread

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Meido

Re: Dog thread

Post by Meido » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Dog show and tell. Love it.

Behold, the oxytocin-addled eyes of the (soon-to-be) Korinji watchdog.

Faolan.jpg
Faolan.jpg (43.75 KiB) Viewed 569 times
It is relatively easy to accomplish the important matter of insight into one’s true nature, but uncommonly difficult to function freely and clearly [according to this understanding], in motion and in rest, in good and in adverse circumstances. Please make strenuous and vigorous efforts towards this end, otherwise all the teachings of Buddhas and patriarchs become mere empty words. - Torei

The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice

Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:11 pm

Meido wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 pm
Dog show and tell. Love it.

Behold, the oxytocin-addled eyes of the (soon-to-be) Korinji watchdog.

Faolan.jpg
He could be the 'face' twin of my dog Max, pictured above! :)
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Meido

Post by Meido » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 pm

I noticed that. I'm partial to black dogs...

This one is half-Lab, half-Border Collie.

~ Meido
It is relatively easy to accomplish the important matter of insight into one’s true nature, but uncommonly difficult to function freely and clearly [according to this understanding], in motion and in rest, in good and in adverse circumstances. Please make strenuous and vigorous efforts towards this end, otherwise all the teachings of Buddhas and patriarchs become mere empty words. - Torei

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:35 pm

Meido wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 pm
I noticed that. I'm partial to black dogs...

~ Meido
Mine is half Weimaraner, half Border Collie.........and the only sign of the latter is the white chin, which makes the poor dog look old before his time. :)
Sadly, he also has the brain of the Weimaraner!

boda

Post by boda » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 am

Meido wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 pm
Interesting mix. We had a Border Collie and he was a handful and a half! Never had a Lab but they seem very mellow.

Meido

Post by Meido » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 pm

boda wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 am
Interesting mix. We had a Border Collie and he was a handful and a half! Never had a Lab but they seem very mellow.
It is interesting. Seems to combine the best of both breeds: intelligence and energy of the collie, though dialed down a few clicks (and no herding behaviors). Affectionate, bonded nature of the lab: constant eye contact and problem-solving with reference to the humans. Comfortable in water. Perfect hiking/camping companion.

This one was a shelter rescue, but I'm told the mix is being done intentionally now because they do so well.

Meido

Post by Meido » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 pm

boda wrote:
It is interesting. Seems to combine the best of both breeds: intelligence and energy of the collie, though dialed down a few clicks (and no herding behaviors). Affectionate, bonded nature of the lab: constant eye contact and problem-solving with reference to the humans. Comfortable in water. Perfect hiking/camping companion.

This one was a shelter rescue, but I'm told the mix is being done intentionally now because they do so well.
Mantrik wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Mine is half Weimaraner, half Border Collie...
Beautiful dog.

~ Meido

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Meido wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 pm
boda wrote:

Mantrik wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Mine is half Weimaraner, half Border Collie...
Beautiful dog.

~ Meido
In the UK new 'breeds' have been created which were formerly just 'cross breeds'.
Anything crossed with a poodle acquired an 'oodle' suffix and a hefty price tag.
I have redesignated Max as a 'Weimarollie' . Sadly, although a brilliant new breed in principle, he failed to acquire a single brain cell from the Collie side, except for the 'stalking' creeping motion. :)

I think it is time all pedigree breeds were assessed for genetic health problems and compulsory cross breeding introduced.
Border Collies used to have a healthy amount of cross-breeding going on, and in fact are better described as Working Sheepdogs; ours was huge and had a touch of Golden Retriever back in his ancestry.
It is a crying shame our Kennel Club has introduced a breed standard for them as 'Border Collies', so in the coming years they will become increasingly more sick, deformed and stupid.

boda

Post by boda » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:11 am

Meido wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 pm
boda wrote:

Sounds perfect. I loved our Border Collie dearly but it would have been nice if he had liked the water better, and wasn't such a spazz. :smile:

KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:18 am

We have a retired racing greyhound. She'll be 9 this spring.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:36 am

cane corso

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

I hope all you dog lovers clean up after your pets, don't let them bark all night, don't assume that everyone loves them as much as you do, and don't let them off the leash in the back country. Otherwise, they are no more than extensions of your selfish egos.

So there.

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:27 am

KathyLauren wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:18 am
We have a retired racing greyhound. She'll be 9 this spring.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Lovely we used to have a retired greyhound too saved from Spain.
7.jpg
7.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Her name's Grady, a galgo espanjol (rough haired)
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

muni

Post by muni » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:34 am

tingdzin wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am
I hope all you dog lovers clean up after your pets, don't let them bark all night, don't assume that everyone loves them as much as you do, and don't let them off the leash in the back country. Otherwise, they are no more than extensions of your selfish egos.

So there.
Fully agreed! My extension is heavy, Newfoundlander.
May all beings have happiness and the cause of happiness.
May they be free of suffering and the cause of suffering.
May they never be disassociated from the supreme happiness which is without suffering.
May they remain in the boundless equanimity, free from both attachment to close ones and rejection of others.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:47 am

tingdzin wrote:

So there.
Can I still use my hound Max to track and destroy feral children whose parents need the above guidance? Pretty please? :)

I promise only to feed Max one pussy a day........I call it my 'Trump' rule. ;)

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:03 pm

More of a cat person but;
Attachments
9a670d359fd01cbb44b55e438bab2570.jpg
Mahasiddha Kukkaripa
9a670d359fd01cbb44b55e438bab2570.jpg (98.58 KiB) Viewed 417 times
FB_IMG_1515229758098.jpg
1000 armed Kwan Yin / Avalokoteshvara
FB_IMG_1515229758098.jpg (68.48 KiB) Viewed 417 times
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

muni

Post by muni » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:32 pm

I have a cat too, love it. Dog and cat live in harmony together. Sometimes they can even help each other, like this dog helps these two discussing cats.

May all beings have happiness and the cause of happiness.
May they be free of suffering and the cause of suffering.
May they never be disassociated from the supreme happiness which is without suffering.
May they remain in the boundless equanimity, free from both attachment to close ones and rejection of others.

KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm

tingdzin wrote:
Totally agree. We clean up after her, she never barks except if a stranger comes to the door, and then it's a single "woof". And she is never off the leash outdoors, ever, unless it is in our fenced running pen.
muni wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:32 pm
I have a cat too, love it. Dog and cat live in harmony together. Sometimes they can even help each other, like this dog helps these two discussing cats.
Ha,ha! I love it!

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:51 am

KathyLauren wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm
Totally agree. We clean up after her, she never barks except if a stranger comes to the door, and then it's a single "woof". And she is never off the leash outdoors, ever, unless it is in our fenced running pen.
:namaste:

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:52 am

Mantrik wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:47 am
Can I still use my hound Max to track and destroy feral children whose parents need the above guidance? Pretty please?

I promise only to feed Max one pussy a day........I call it my 'Trump' rule.
:D

Return to “Lounge”