Dog thread

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DGA
Former staff member

Dog thread

Post by DGA »

Let's talk about dogs.

I have two of them, both mutts. They are pretty great. We let them sleep under the covers with us at night because we are indulgent and bad, but also because we like to be warm.
Motova

Re: Dog thread

Post by Motova »

My dog is named Chevy. He's a border collie, Australian shepherd, and Brittany spaniel mix. I think he is 13, he is a little over weight, has a lot of warts on his face and head and body, sometimes he shakes like he has a minor seizure while standing, and he is very sensitive and smart.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

In my life I have shared my life with and trained quite a few, as well as run a branch of a now-defunct dog charity called Pro Dogs. All dogs seem to like me; even the wild dogs in India would bring me their puppies or come to me to die. Guess I'm part canine.

Dogs in my life:

As a kid:

Border Collie cross Cocker Spaniel - Candy

As an adult:

Border Collie - Sally
Dalmatian - Stella
Golden Retriever (an agility champion) - Sandy
Lurcher (part fox I swear) - Bruno
Working Sheepdog - Samson
Dalmatian - Danny
Lurcher - Claude
Weimaraner/Collie cross - Max (aka Maximilian) curently with me and sitting with his 33Kg on my neck, like a scarf, as I type. :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
boda

Post by boda »

Our new pup Red. Australian Shepard, and quite the rascalian.

shaunc

Post by shaunc »

As a kid, a kelpie x cattle dog = Sharon
As a teenager, a whippet = shillbe
As an adult; a whippet = diamond
As an adult, a greyhound = Lucy
As an adult, a whippet = smokey
I've always liked short haired sight hounds.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

When i was a little kid we had a HUGE Boxer. His name was Maharaja. We called him Raj. He ate out of huge mixing bowls.
That's all i remember.....
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

boda wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:19 pm Our new pup Red. Australian Shepard, and quite the rascalian.
Perfect name for a blue-eyed dog.

My brother-in-law has an Australian Shepherd and she's among the top five smartest dogs I've ever met. Great family dog. SO MUCH FUR
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

shaunc wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 pm As a kid, a kelpie x cattle dog = Sharon
As a teenager, a whippet = shillbe
As an adult; a whippet = diamond
As an adult, a greyhound = Lucy
As an adult, a whippet = smokey
I've always liked short haired sight hounds.
One of mine is some kind of whippet mutt. She has the body of a whippet but the snout of a beagle and a big square noggin. She was badly abused as a pup before we rescued her, and she gets outsmarted by the cats, but she's the sweetest and most sincere creature in our household.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:58 pm In my life I have shared my life with and trained quite a few, as well as run a branch of a now-defunct dog charity called Pro Dogs. All dogs seem to like me; even the wild dogs in India would bring me their puppies or come to me to die. Guess I'm part canine.
Dogs know who their friends are.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:40 pm When i was a little kid we had a HUGE Boxer. His name was Maharaja. We called him Raj. He ate out of huge mixing bowls.
That's all i remember.....
My spouse grew up with a boxer who was a little undersized due to a heart condition. She was a very intelligent and devoted dog. I think she was bored a lot of the time because she would devise games to play. Example: today I will gather one shoe out of every pair I can find and hide them under the dining table
boda

Post by boda »

DGA wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:35 am
boda wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:19 pm Our new pup Red. Australian Shepard, and quite the rascalian.
Perfect name for a blue-eyed dog.
We his aunt has ghost-eyes, white irises. Trippy looking.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Motova wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 pm My dog is named Chevy. He's a border collie, Australian shepherd, and Brittany spaniel mix. I think he is 13, he is a little over weight, has a lot of warts on his face and head and body, sometimes he shakes like he has a minor seizure while standing, and he is very sensitive and smart.
Of course. He's a good dog!
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

What's not to love about animals? I tend to like cats more though, well maybe about the same. My favorite thing about animals is their honesty. Outside of a few tricks they learn to get food, and attention they are pretty much purely honest creatures.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

I have a penchant for dogs. Perhaps partly due to being an only child whose dog, a sweet little Sheltie, was my closest companion. My mother married a man, and one day I came home and my little friend was gone. My step-dad didn't care for her and so they gave her away, while I was at school, and never told me of their plans. I was totally gutted.

Fast forward to me as an adult, I have three dogs right now. I love all animals, but I'm partial to pups for their loyalty, wonderful charm and upbeat attitude.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

@Boda - Beautiful pup. Piercing blue eyes!

I have a 'sheltie cross' called River (co-incidentally!) 'Sheltie' is 'Shetland sheepdog' but they're a smallish breed, our guy is a medium dog, we think he might be a kelpie cross. Rescue dog, nine years old, totally devoted to his owner (i.e. me); generally very well-behaved but hates being left alone. Terrific (and constant) companion.
RiverJuly2016.jpg
RiverJuly2016.jpg (69.05 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
krodha

Post by krodha »

I don't like dogs. Ha
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Blue-eyed or white-eyed dogs here are sometimes called 'Wally' ( usually means 'Idiot') as the term used for the condition is having a 'wall eye'. Give a dog a bad name........

See, Max was a demon as a puppy... :

But he grew up OK:

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

TharpaChodron wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:43 am I have a penchant for dogs. Perhaps partly due to being an only child whose dog, a sweet little Sheltie, was my closest companion. My mother married a man, and one day I came home and my little friend was gone. My step-dad didn't care for her and so they gave her away, while I was at school, and never told me of their plans. I was totally gutted.

Fast forward to me as an adult, I have three dogs right now. I love all animals, but I'm partial to pups for their loyalty, wonderful charm and upbeat attitude.
What a sad story. Glad you've made up for it now!

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Beautiful dogs everyone. ....
I've always been especially attracted to Afghan's. I've moved around so much, the thought of having a pet escaped me...maybe in my next life...I'm also a horse lover & love cats ....life is amazing all the beautiful creatures.. :heart:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

More of a cat person, but I've had some great dogs. Right now we have an eight year old rat terrier we got from a shelter. She has one of the most unique dog personalities I've seem, different than what I expected for my first little dog.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Lounge”