Astrological marks of a Dharma person

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
cyril

Astrological marks of a Dharma person

Post by cyril »

For all astrologers who frequent this board, which aspects of a natal chart would indicate, in your opinion, a person's inclination towards studying and practicing Dharma?
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
Fortyeightvows

Re: Astrological marks of a Dharma person

Post by Fortyeightvows »

cyril wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 pm For all astrologers who frequent this board, which aspects of a natal chart would indicate, in your opinion, a person's inclination towards studying and practicing Dharma?
Anyone have any knowledge of this?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Must be some certain houses and planets in Scorpio. I think it was Uranus and Saturn within the 11th house in Scorpio.
But sorry, actually I forgot about it. It's too long ago that I bothered about astrology. :oops:
well wisher

Post by well wisher »

https://buddhism.stackexchange.com/ques ... d-buddhism
In terms of horoscopes, it is definitely not a Buddhist practice to explain one's future or decisions based on some external forces (planets).

However, phases of the Moon have some importance in Buddhism. Many significant events in Buddha's life coincided with the Full Moon - birth, giving first teachings or death, to name a few. Full Moon is also considered to be the Amitabha Buddha Day (Buddha of Limitless Light and the principal Buddha in Pure Land Buddhism). One can find full lunar calendars where different Moon phases are associated with various Buddhas, practices etc. One example of observance days based on the lunar calendar is Uposatha when practitioners intensify their practice and make conscious effort to keep the 5 precepts.
.... - Rabbit
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"Of course you are uncertain, Kalamas. Of course you are in doubt. When there are reasons for doubt, uncertainty is born. So in this case, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering' — then you should abandon them.
Sorry to be a downer, but the problem with any sort of astrology and divination is that it may be seen as biased superstitions for some folks. And the Kalama sutta seems to have warned us against such superstitious practices.
I prefer to believe that the doors to dharma gates are open to all who wishes to enter; so no barriers, no discrimination, and definitely not based on any astrologic or future telling. Just purely based on motivations.

Having said that, I am aware that some Asian / Chinese based tradition follow specific lunar calendar (akin to astrology) for more auspcicious days to for prayers & worship evemts. However I don't feel that all such predictions to be fully accurate all the time, as i prefer to think that ANY days are good days to practice the dharma, whenever the circumstances are fitting.
cyril

Post by cyril »

Ayu wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:53 pm Must be some certain houses and planets in Scorpio. I think it was Uranus and Saturn within the 11th house in Scorpio.
But sorry, actually I forgot about it. It's too long ago that I bothered about astrology. :oops:
It’s interesting that you’re saying this, Ayu. I’ve always suspected that Uranus, the 11th house and perhaps whatever planets you have in Aquarius could be one of the key indicators. Since Uranus is not among the seven classical planets, I obviously couldn’t find anything in this regard within the traditional literature. However, I found the birth charts of several Buddhist masters showing interesting Uranian aspects.

Dalai Lama, Tai Situ Rinpoche and Matthieu Riccard have all Uranus in the 11th house
https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Dalai_Lama_XIV
https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Situ_Rinpoche
https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Ricard,_Matthieu

Ajahn Chah has the 11th house cusp in Aquarius
https://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Ajahn_Chah

The Karmapa’s chart displays “mutual reception” or Parivatana Yoga, as they call it in the Vedic astrology between Uranus and Jupiter. That is, Jupiter is placed in Aquarius and Uranus in Sagittarius.
https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Og ... nley_Dorje

Now, of course, just five cases mean basically nothing and Uranus is not the only indicator but just sayin’.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Not the same as western astrology, but there are specific markers in Chinese astrology which used to exclude one from being ordained in certain lineages/schools.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

humble.student wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:42 pm Not the same as western astrology, but there are specific markers in Chinese astrology which used to exclude one from being ordained in certain lineages/schools.
Please share more :anjali:
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 pm
humble.student wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:42 pm Not the same as western astrology, but there are specific markers in Chinese astrology which used to exclude one from being ordained in certain lineages/schools.
Please share more :anjali:
The details are to be found in the book attributed to the Tang dynasty astronomer-monk Yixing, 《看命一掌金》, colloquially known as "Bodhidharma's Fistful of Gold."

And more info can be read at the end of this article on the subject: http://ishare.iask.sina.com.cn/f/ovnNei3KRE.html
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

thank you bro!
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

cyril wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 pm For all astrologers who frequent this board, which aspects of a natal chart would indicate, in your opinion, a person's inclination towards studying and practicing Dharma?
If the person has a lot of resource element they will have a very high technical understanding of the teachings. If the person has a lot of intelligence element they won't hesitate to practice what they have learned and will enjoy doing so (they will feel creative, free, and at home exploring the teaching). If the person has a lot of power/influence element in their birth chart, in the current year, or in their luck pillars, they will be respected in their group and can become a teacher. If both metal and water are favorable elements for the individual (especially yin metal) then they can learn a lot through online discussion. If they have a lot of water in their chart they can learn and retain many details and can study technical subjects as it produces a retentive mind. If they have a lot of fire, they will have optimism, a wish to bond with people, etc. Hidden Yogis will have the resource and intelligence elements, etc., on the earthly branches where they are not visible. Teachers will have power element. This is by way of the BaZi system. Analyzing the planets can also be particularly instructive.

Generally, resource and intelligence elements are important for Dharma practice. Wealth element can be good or bad. With a lot of wealth element people can sometimes be more interested in accruing wealth.

As far as if a person will become a practitioner or not one needs to analyze the condition of the 12'th lord, the 9'th lord, 5'th lord, 3'rd lord, Jupiter, the Sun, Moon, and Ketu primarily. I would recommend reading the chart using Systems' Approach primarily. Dashas and sub-dashas of the above lords are good entry points for meeting the teachings.

Virgo
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Are you a traditionalist or part of the Ophiuchus school?
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
cyril

Post by cyril »

Virgo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:35 am
As far as if a person will become a practitioner or not one needs to analyze the condition of the 12'th lord, the 9'th lord, 5'th lord, 3'rd lord, Jupiter, the Sun, Moon, and Ketu primarily. I would recommend reading the chart using Systems' Approach primarily. Dashas and sub-dashas of the above lords are good entry points for meeting the teachings.

Virgo
Excellent suggestions! Thank you!
- Robert Penn Warren -
cyril

Post by cyril »

Caoimhghín wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:09 pm
Are you a traditionalist or part of the Ophiuchus school?
I'm just a dabbler actually. A dilettante. But whatever little I have studied so far was approached from a traditionalist perspective.
- Robert Penn Warren -

Return to “Lounge”