What is Shamanism

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Mantrik

Re: What is Shamanism

Post by Mantrik » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:37 pm

kalden yungdrung wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:22 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:09 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Ok, that is like it is. Personal i got a nice story, which i could recognize as partly (80%) true.
Got 3 totems / animals 35% / 25% / 40% .
Like with everything one can or not synchronize/integrate these in formations into one`s personality / character.
The example shows somehow the totem, out of the Shamanistic Indian culture, interesting these totems.
Wow. Talk about cultural insensitivity. You managed to insult shamans, medicine healers and native (first nation) americans all in one stupid remark. You're about as close to getting it right as calling Bon a branch of the Anabaptists or Catholics. The site is a joke for entertainment, and a poor joke at that.
Well i am not at all insulting here, i only give some examples of what totems could be.
The result of the "test" can be doubtful but can nevertheless serve as an indication about what totems could be.
Come on i never would call Bön a branch of Catholics etc., mabe you do so ?

Well then we keep it better :D for you as a joke, then we do not insult Bön religion, ok?
This is the problem when you post on a forum where the language is English.
The website you linked to is a stupid joke meant for entertainment.
Totems have nothing to do with shamanism.
Native American Medicine Healers are not Shamans.
Native Americans are not Indians.

What you wrote was insulting to all those groups, which I tried to explain to you by comparing it with calling Bon a branch of Catholicism.

Your thread is in the Bon forum. It is very sad to use it to ridicule another unrelated culture and its medicine practices, but that is what you are doing. It is also off topic as it has nothing to do with shamanism.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:37 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote:
Mantrik wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:09 pm

Wow. Talk about cultural insensitivity. You managed to insult shamans, medicine healers and native (first nation) americans all in one stupid remark. You're about as close to getting it right as calling Bon a branch of the Anabaptists or Catholics. The site is a joke for entertainment, and a poor joke at that.
Well i am not at all insulting here, i only give some examples of what totems could be.
The result of the "test" can be doubtful but can nevertheless serve as an indication about what totems could be.

Well then we keep it better :D for you as a joke, then we do not insult Bön religion, ok?

What you wrote was insulting to all those groups, which I tried to explain to you by comparing it with calling Bon a branch of Catholicism.

Your thread is in the Bon forum. It is very sad to use it to ridicule another unrelated culture and its medicine practices, but that is what you are doing. It is also off topic as it has nothing to do with shamanism.
Well i thought that American Indians would have some "shamanistic" rituals etc. which can be compared to other "Shamanistic" tribes in the world.In that sense i see animal totems.
The tread here is called "Shamanism" but maybe could better called nature religion etc.
See these things as word games.
The best meditation is no meditation

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:00 pm

kalden yungdrung wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:45 pm
Mantrik wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:

Well i thought that American Indians would have some "shamanistic" rituals etc. which can be compared to other "Shamanistic" tribes in the world.In that sense i see animal totems.
The tread here is called "Shamanism" but maybe could better called nature religion etc.
For the last time, they are not 'Indians', not 'Shamans'.
You are way off topic and deliberately so I reckon.
Not 'word games' just plain ignorance on your part.
I thought it was your poor language skills but it is actually just plain deliberate insult.

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:00 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:45 pm
Mantrik wrote:

For the last time, they are not 'Indians', not 'Shamans'.
You are way off topic and deliberately so I reckon.
Not 'word games' just plain ignorance on your part.
I thought it was your poor language skills but it is actually just plain deliberate insult.

- Well then, excuse me for my stupidity /plain deliberate insult
- And my poor language skills English ( you are the second person here who makes me attend on that)
- Plus my plain ignorance, which is really a bad thing :namaste:

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:31 pm

All this talk about totems...

Is anyone here familiar with Durkheim?

He definition of religion is illuminating.
" A religion is a unified system of beliefs and practices relative to sacred things, that is to say, things set apart and forbidden -- beliefs and practices which unite into one single moral community called a Church, all those who adhere to them."

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Fri May 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Tashi delek,

Shamans from over the whole world gathered as one family.
Seems that they have ties with each other.

========================

Most inclusive and biggest traditional shamanic gathering in the world! Deep gratitude to the organization for giving special permission to take pictures and visuals.

Hearty thanks to all shaman brothers and sisters.

Namaste and Dhanyabad

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri May 25, 2018 7:58 pm

kalden yungdrung wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:20 pm
Tashi delek,

Shamans from over the whole world gathered as one family.
Seems that they have ties with each other.

========================

Most inclusive and biggest traditional shamanic gathering in the world! Deep gratitude to the organization for giving special permission to take pictures and visuals.

Hearty thanks to all shaman brothers and sisters.

Namaste and Dhanyabad

Indeed. A gathering of people celebrating different paths, but what you posted is by a man who follows a family shamanic lineage in Nepal and would never corrupt it with new age nonsense, nor would he mistake a native american medicine tradition for shamanism. Lineage is everything in shamanism.

It is one thing to celebrate that all flowers are beautiful, but a rose is a rose.

Nepal shamanism is interesting, and this particular teacher, Bhola, is a pretty amazing person. :)

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Fri May 25, 2018 11:06 pm

For as long as space endures
And for as long as living beings remain,
Until then may I, too, abide
To dispel the misery of the world.