Less time on computer

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
joy&peace

Less time on computer

Post by joy&peace »

Some of us spend much time on the computer, some little.

How is a good method if one would like to spend less time?

Not a personal matter, more a discussion piece.
Vasana

Re: Less time on computer

Post by Vasana »

Identify the websites, platforms, apps you feel you frequent too much. Set a date in the very near future where you simply don't visit those sites or use that app for a fixed ammount of time. See how it feels once the initial impulses have subsided and you have more time on your hands to pursue what is meaningful.

Identify time wasted and replace it with time spent doing something useful. Replace mindless scrolling and visiting for deliberate study of set topics,books or cultivation of skills etc

You can also use a timer to allocate fixed ammount of time for your computer activities.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
PSM

Post by PSM »

This is a big, important subject and I think it's becoming more important to address as time goes on.

With regards to smartphones, I would strongly recommend getting an app to monitor your usage. Just seeing what you're doing makes you much more aware.

In general, I have found it best to learn about the dopamine reward systems in the brain which are being highjacked deliberately by things like Facebook, plus the detrimental effects of them. They are literally addictive. I was very much hooked for a long time until I just became sick of wasting my life online. This is roughly how it works, as a feedback loop:

Of course loading up your browser with ad blockers and other things really help, as does deleting any social media accounts.

Cal Newport has some very, very good points to make on the matter:

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

joy&peace wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:49 pm Some of us spend much time on the computer, some little.

If being on the computer gets you in touch with people around a topic (say developing siddhi) that you do not have access in real life, it’s useful. If being on the computer puts you out of touch with people in your real life (family, school, work) then you need to evaluate and balance it. Saying more time or less time is not important. Sometimes in real life people use up all your time and leave you with little or none. Playing a computer game for a few minutes is actually balanced. But if it’s a few hours, that would have been time wasted. Now it’s not a people problem it’s a computer addiction problem. But it all depends on the person and circumstance. How to limit the time spent? Since I’m a meditator, that’s what I’d do
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
fuki

Post by fuki »

SunWuKong wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:28 am
joy&peace wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:49 pm Some of us spend much time on the computer, some little.

If being on the computer gets you in touch with people around a topic (say developing siddhi) that you do not have access in real life, it’s useful. If being on the computer puts you out of touch with people in your real life (family, school, work) then you need to evaluate and balance it. Saying more time or less time is not important. Sometimes in real life people use up all your time and leave you with little or none. Playing a computer game for a few minutes is actually balanced. But if it’s a few hours, that would have been time wasted. Now it’s not a people problem it’s a computer addiction problem. But it all depends on the person and circumstance. How to limit the time spent? Since I’m a meditator, that’s what I’d do
:good:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

Return to “Lounge”