Livable Alien Planet Finally Discovered

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: Livable Alien Planet Finally Discovered

Post by catmoon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:22 pm

I was just thinking (always dangerous) about the Project Orion nuclear pulse type of propulsion. If you build the thing in orbit, and successfully get it farting small nukes - wouldn't that EMP half the planet? Could any satellites survive the radiation? Would you want to be in a jet at 35,000 feet that was in line of sight? How much radiation would persist in the near-earth environment?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Here is some perspective on traveling at the speed of light...assuming that we even get the technology to do that...
A light year is how far light travels in a year...ok, so far so good..however keep in mind that light travels at 186,000 miles per second...
now do the math on how many seconds there are in a year and multiply that by 4 which how far the closest star system is ..... and therein lies the problem. Hope this didn't burst too many bubbles...
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:52 pm

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:11 pm

catmoon wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:39 am
Wayfarer wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:10 am
‘Only 20 light years’.

The famous little probe that passed out of the Solar System after having travelled for 30 years or something - point it towards that planet, and it will take hundreds of millions of years to get there.

A light year is an astronomical distance.

We’re never going to get there in a physical vehicle. It’s just too great a distance.

Actually a figure of 40,000 years has been used a lot. So it's not quite as bad as all that.
I fell asleep about a quarter of the way through, but Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets posits that we become a space faring species after building a space station that gets so big it needs to be released from Earth's orbit lest it throw the planet off its orbit around the sun. Its not that the space station travels particularly fast, it just floats through space and generations come and go as the ship make the voyage to who knows where. Like I said, I fell asleep. It was an interesting premise, though, and seems about right unless we have some sort of breakthrough where worm holes are really portals and we can manage to control them.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:24 pm

This "newly discovered" :quoteunquote: planet is probably where we came from in the first place. When we got here someone stole the supercomputer that contained all the useful info, so then we had to start cutting down trees to make into paper in order gather enough knowledge to 'invent' transistors and make supercomputer V2.

I think I read about this in a sci fi book, or maybe it was that monolith thingy from 2001?!

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:01 pm

Given we are incapable of making something that travels at the speed of light, or that can last 40,000 years*, I guess we have to get our shit together down here on Earth then...

*Except for aboriginal Australian culture. That has lasted more than 60,000 years.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

boda

Post by boda » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:13 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:01 pm
Given we are incapable of making something that travels at the speed of light, or that can last 40,000 years*, I guess we have to get our shit together down here on Earth then...

*Except for aboriginal Australian culture. That has lasted more than 60,000 years.
Human 'culture' has always existed in some form. Can it be said that indigenous Australian's had a civilization?

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:36 pm

boda wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:13 pm
Human 'culture' has always existed in some form.
Indeed. But aboriginal Australian culture is unbroken/continuous.
Can it be said that indigenous Australian's had a civilization?
I guess it depends on how you define the term "civilisation".

boda

Post by boda » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:20 am

Grigoris wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:36 pm
boda wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:13 pm
Human 'culture' has always existed in some form.
Indeed. But aboriginal Australian culture is unbroken/continuous.
Can it be said that indigenous Australian's had a civilization?
I guess it depends on how you define the term "civilisation".
Non-sustainability? In which case our species is screwed. Alpha Centauri (only 40 years via solar sail) here we come.