Discussion/debate/argument

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: Discussion/debate/argument

Post by Grigoris » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:03 am

After some thinking I guess that saying: "God does not exist and thus cannot create the universe." is more a contradiction then a refutation. But then, the onus is not on me to prove the lack of existence of God.

It is not a counter argument, which would be more along the lines of: "God did not create the universe, the universe was created by the Big Bang".
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Mantrik

Re: Discussion/debate/argument

Post by Mantrik » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:30 am

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:03 am
After some thinking I guess that saying: "God does not exist and thus cannot create the universe." is more a contradiction then a refutation. But then, the onus is not on me to prove the lack of existence of God.

It is not a counter argument, which would be more along the lines of: "God did not create the universe, the universe was created by the Big Bang".

I think the technical term is a 'Premise Objection'.

You are not contradicting the argument, which may be logically valid; you are objecting to the unproven premise(s) underlying it..such as the notions of a Beginning, a defined Universe, and God.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Return to “Lounge”