DNA TESTS

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Malcolm

Re: DNA TESTS

Post by Malcolm »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:30 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:55 pm
MiphamFan wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:44 pm How much Neanderthal DNA do you all have?
1.3 percent. People call me "blond," but I am really a redhead.
Which test shows that Neanderthal element up?
Geno
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

23andme also gives you Neanderthal DNA percentage. I got IIRC about 3%
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:33 am
Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:30 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:55 pm

1.3 percent. People call me "blond," but I am really a redhead.
Which test shows that Neanderthal element up?
Geno
Thanks. :)

I uploaded the data to Ged Match (gedmatch.com) for free and their analysis was around 32% Neolithic, the rest being mainly Eastern Hunter Gatherer and Western Hunter Gatherer. They offer a range of tests and the results were broadly the same.

I think to obtain the Neanderthal I'll need another site like Promethease.

http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Mantrik wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:21 amI uploaded the data to Ged Match (gedmatch.com) for free and their analysis was around 32% Neolithic...
Well that explains a lot! :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:45 am
Mantrik wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:21 amI uploaded the data to Ged Match (gedmatch.com) for free and their analysis was around 32% Neolithic...
Well that explains a lot! :tongue:
Maybe that's why I ended up close to Avebury and Stonehenge!

I hereby rename my wife Wilma and the dog Dino. :)

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/01/ ... -heritage/

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Well, knock me over with a feather!

Results are in. As I anticipated, I'm 98.2% Europe, but it's the 1.7% that astounds me. Apparently, there's Pashtun on my Mom's side.
Mom's side Haplogroup is J2a, subclade J2a1a1. Lots of this haplogroup in Yemen!

Dad's Anglo-Saxon, no surprise.R-U106, R-L48. Germanic, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, etc......East Anglia, Scotland, a bit of North Wales, other parts of England. No Irish at all, it seems.

Still reviewing this, and I will send it in to GEDMatch, etc.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

conebeckham wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:46 pm Well, knock me over with a feather!

Results are in. As I anticipated, I'm 98.2% Europe, but it's the 1.7% that astounds me. Apparently, there's Pashtun on my Mom's side.
Mom's side Haplogroup is J2a, subclade J2a1a1. Lots of this haplogroup in Yemen!

Dad's Anglo-Saxon, no surprise.R-U106, R-L48. Germanic, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, etc......East Anglia, Scotland, a bit of North Wales, other parts of England. No Irish at all, it seems.

Still reviewing this, and I will send it in to GEDMatch, etc.
I'm really surprised they could be precise about Welsh but not Irish.
Pashtun is very cool :)

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Well, finally bought a test today. Will be a long wait though before I get results (shipping from them to me, and shipping from me to them). I'll add results here when I get it done :)
justsit

Post by justsit »

Punya

Post by Punya »

Thank you for starting this thread Mantrik. It's reignited my interest in family history.

I'm going to order the test through LivingDNA as all of the family connections we are aware of are in Britain. I'm most interested in our Jewish ancestry. My great grandmother migrated from Islington, London where there was a large Jewish community in the 1900s. Her documents also show a progressive anglicising of her name after her arrival in Australia.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

justsit wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:10 pm Interesting article in today's NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/27/heal ... alogy.html
Yes, the police upload a DNA file they can check the database for close matches. As well as killers it could catch rapists, thieves......although of course they would have had to have sent in their own sample for ancestry or medical checks.

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

justsit wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:10 pm Interesting article in today's NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/27/heal ... alogy.html
I thought the police did a brilliant job. DNA evidence can exonerate people as well as convict them. Personally, I think the good outweighs the risks. And in the article it seems people are worried that submitting their DNA might cause a relative to get caught for their crimes. Like, really???
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:34 am
I thought the police did a brilliant job. DNA evidence can exonerate people as well as convict them. Personally, I think the good outweighs the risks. And in the article it seems people are worried that submitting their DNA might cause a relative to get caught for their crimes. Like, really???
Some people only want others to pay for their crimes and they themselves feel exempt from reproach, it's a pride thing the human has in its ignorant phase... I am constantly shocked by how many people share this ideology (if it can be called that). Like, really.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Mantrik wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:05 pmAs well as killers it could catch rapists, thieves......although of course they would have had to have sent in their own sample for ancestry or medical checks.
Not necessarily, in this case, the police managed to track down the killer from 3rd cousins who had done so, then worked back from what? the great-great grandparents and narrowed it down using old fashioned police work. Big Brother, eh?
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

humble.student wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:35 am
Mantrik wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:05 pmAs well as killers it could catch rapists, thieves......although of course they would have had to have sent in their own sample for ancestry or medical checks.
Not necessarily, in this case, the police managed to track down the killer from 3rd cousins who had done so, then worked back from what? the great-great grandparents and narrowed it down using old fashioned police work. Big Brother, eh?
I thought the police started with DNA from the crime or from a suspect, uploaded it and did a search for matches on GED Match, turning up his close relatives, which then led to him. Ah well.

Without his personal DNA, the DNA of relatives it does't pin it on him. Samples of his DNA from a crime scene would do so for sure.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

What people fail to understand is that the same information that may be used right now to track down criminals, could easily be used by an (even more repressive government) for less noble purposes. Once the information is in the hands of the state, whoever controls the state can use the information as they see fit.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:07 am What people fail to understand is that the same information that may be used right now to track down criminals could easily be used by an (even more repressive government) for less noble purposes. Once the information is in the hands of the state whoever controls the state can use the information as they see fit.
I don't think people fail to understand it, in my experience. Many are shit scared by it.

Hopefully, some are deterred from crimes where it is hard to avoid leaving DNA.

I think the health and travel insurance companies will be first non-police organisations to exploit the system.
They will try to entrap people into allowing access, offering discounts etc. They will, of course, exclude your major risks, or offer cover at a huge premium which wipe out any discounts.

Then then will eventually move to make access to your DNA a precondition of providing cover.

THis will then extend to employers and government agencies for all sorts of purposes.

Just my guess at how it will pan out.

humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Mantrik wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:42 am I thought the police started with DNA from the crime or from a suspect, uploaded it and did a search for matches on GED Match, turning up his close relatives, which then led to him. Ah well.
Without his personal DNA, the DNA of relatives it does't pin it on him. Samples of his DNA from a crime scene would do so for sure.
What I meant was, the suspect himself didn't upload anything or do an ancestry check: the police did, using the samples from the crime scene, and then traced him back through his relatives.
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Grigoris wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:07 am What people fail to understand is that the same information that may be used right now to track down criminals, could easily be used by an (even more repressive government) for less noble purposes. Once the information is in the hands of the state, whoever controls the state can use the information as they see fit.
Cambridge Analytica and the election shenanigans aside, if this recent Facebook debacle has demonstrated anything, it's that this information is largely used to get people to consume more crap.

As Crass once sang: "Big Brother ain't watching you mate, you're frak watching him."

Return to “Lounge”