DNA TESTS

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Norwegian

Re: DNA TESTS

Post by Norwegian »

Depending on service used, you can also upload your file(s) to other companies, like https://www.promethease.com/ and which "is a computer program developed by the SNPedia team which allows users to compare personal genomics results against the SNPedia database, generating a report with information about a person's attributes, such as propensity to diseases, based on the presence of specific single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) within their genome. Promethease will accept data from all the major autosomal DNA testing companies. They can also generate reports from whole genome data from companies such as Full Genomes Corporation."

Also:

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Singl ... lymorphism
https://snpedia.com/index.php/Glossary

So this is a DNA test more on the medical side of things.

I feel like doing one of these genealogy DNA tests now, to see what results I can get :)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 am ...
I just wondered if others have had the test done and what it means to them.
I had no DNA test, but my brother did some ancestor's research. This is possible in Sweden, because they wrote down births, marriages and deaths since about 1500. So, this was only the research from my father's side, but it was interesting anyhow. There was Swedish, Finnish and German influence and a long line of grandfathers got married very late in their lifes. They became fathers at the age of 50 and 60 - like my Swedish brother and my father, too. Funny. Good to know. So, there is no need to get impatient when my son's take a long time to find a good woman. :shrug:

For me, it explains why I always make friends with Finns on travels. When I visit Sweden, I feel way more at home than in Germany. Germany is a foreign country for me since my childhood. I do not really fit here. And my sons say the same. They understand better now what's going on since they saw Sweden and our Swedish relatives.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Ayu wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:50 am
Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 am ...
I just wondered if others have had the test done and what it means to them.
I had no DNA test, but my brother did some ancestor's research. This is possible in Sweden, because they wrote down births, marriages and deaths since about 1500. So, this was only the research from my father's side, but it was interesting anyhow. There was Swedish, Finnish and German influence and a long line of grandfathers got married very late in their lifes. They became fathers at the age of 50 and 60 - like my Swedish brother and my father, too. Funny. Good to know. So, there is no need to get impatient when my son's take a long time to find a good woman. :shrug:

For me, it explains why I always make friends with Finns on travels. When I visit Sweden, I feel way more at home than in Germany. Germany is a foreign country for me since my childhood. I do not really fit here. And my sons say the same. They understand better now what's going on since they saw Sweden and our Swedish relatives.
It's really important to find a place where you feel at home. Sometimes our ancestry contributes, and sometimes I wonder how much past lives help.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 am
In reality of course, all of our distant ancestors were black.
Amoeba, even.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:16 pm
Amoeba, even.
One of my closest acquaintances in a unicellular lifeform.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

The Cicada wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:12 pm
Queequeg wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:16 pm
Amoeba, even.
One of my closest acquaintances in a unicellular lifeform.
Are you telling us you have dysentery?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:49 pm Are you telling us you have dysentery?
:lol:

But seriously, folks, as interesting as the results of DNA testing might be, I would under no circumstances willingly submit such personal information to a faceless corporation which can be counted on to use it in deleterious ways in the future. People thought Facebook was harmless, too.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tingdzin wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:02 pm
Queequeg wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:49 pm Are you telling us you have dysentery?
:lol:

But seriously, folks, as interesting as the results of DNA testing might be, I would under no circumstances willingly submit such personal information to a faceless corporation which can be counted on to use it in deleterious ways in the future. People thought Facebook was harmless, too.
Submit? They can take it anyway. We have no more right to our DNA than we have right to our shit once we have passed it.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

tingdzin wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:02 pm But seriously, folks, as interesting as the results of DNA testing might be, I would under no circumstances willingly submit such personal information to a faceless corporation which can be counted on to use it in deleterious ways in the future. People thought Facebook was harmless, too.
DNA = Do Not Authorize!! :techproblem:

In all seriousness, we live in an information world now. Privacy is not what it used to be. Also, that is one of the reasons I've never had FB. As I have been saying to people for a long time, that none of your info there is protected.

Refuge is a protection, wholesome actions are a protection. The rest isn't.

Kevin
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 am In reality of course, all of our distant ancestors were black.
Shakyamuni broke off some wicked beats. Omniscient and all.

I haven't done the testing myself, but a family member has, so based on what I was told, our Indian family is shockingly NOT "the Indian we thought it was," but a mix of Ladakhi and Romany (this by the highest percentage.... Oukei we're gypsies) ... The facility for language is clear in the history of translators and Brahmin academics we know of and on modern times lots and lots of engineers and judges/lawyers/doctors. The Italian family o vaguely remember something about Slavic, Jewish, and romany (more gypsy).

I always thought we are "nomads" due to how part of the family was indentured slavery to the british empire, it turns out there may be an even deeper karma there with all the gypsy blood.

I thought of doing the study more in depth and seeing precisely what's what.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Virgo wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 pm
tingdzin wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:02 pm But seriously, folks, as interesting as the results of DNA testing might be, I would under no circumstances willingly submit such personal information to a faceless corporation which can be counted on to use it in deleterious ways in the future. People thought Facebook was harmless, too.

In all seriousness, we live in an information world now. Privacy is not what it used to be. Also, that is one of the reasons I've never had FB. As I have been saying to people for a long time, that none of your info there is protected.

Kevin
There is a simple alternative - you lie to Facebook when entering any data. With DNA, an ancestry check is the least worrying - the police harvest it from everyone they come across. I suspect that in the near future people whose jobs require a police and criminal record check will also have their DNA included in the sweep.

justsit

Post by justsit »

Anyone here ever watch Orphan Black? :jawdrop:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kevin
Yes, this is likely.

Kevin
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Ogyen wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:05 am haven't done the testing myself, but a family member has, so based on what I was told, our Indian family is shockingly NOT "the Indian we thought it was," but a mix of Ladakhi and Romany (this by the highest percentage.... Oukei we're gypsies) ... The facility for language is clear in the history of translators and Brahmin academics we know of and on modern times lots and lots of engineers and judges/lawyers/doctors. The Italian family o vaguely remember something about Slavic, Jewish, and romany (more gypsy).
Now that's interesting.
Malcolm wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:45 pm Submit? They can take it anyway.
Well, I did say "willingly". I know the police state is getting more advanced than Hitler or Stalin would have dreamed possible.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tingdzin wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:58 pm
Ogyen wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:05 am haven't done the testing myself, but a family member has, so based on what I was told, our Indian family is shockingly NOT "the Indian we thought it was," but a mix of Ladakhi and Romany (this by the highest percentage.... Oukei we're gypsies) ... The facility for language is clear in the history of translators and Brahmin academics we know of and on modern times lots and lots of engineers and judges/lawyers/doctors. The Italian family o vaguely remember something about Slavic, Jewish, and romany (more gypsy).
Now that's interesting.
Malcolm wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:45 pm Submit? They can take it anyway.
Well, I did say "willingly". I know the police state is getting more advanced than Hitler or Stalin would have dreamed possible.
Our bodies shed DNA all the time. Our DNA can show up on things we have never even come into contact with through secondary transference.

M
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:19 am It's really important to find a place where you feel at home. Sometimes our ancestry contributes, and sometimes I wonder how much past lives help.
I've also wondered this because I've made the world my home... I've yet to find a specific place that clicks like some people talk about finding their match to a place where they "can be themselves".

Maybe there's a karmic resonance with some places over others...

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Ogyen wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:11 pm
Mantrik wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:19 am It's really important to find a place where you feel at home. Sometimes our ancestry contributes, and sometimes I wonder how much past lives help.
I've also wondered this because I've made the world my home... I've yet to find a specific place that clicks like some people talk about finding their match to a place where they "can be themselves".

I certainly felt that in Rajasthan, and that was strange, felt familiar, as did riding a camel. No bloodline that I know of so I put that down to past life traces.

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Mantrik wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:38 pm
Ogyen wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:11 pm

I certainly felt that in Rajasthan, and that was strange, felt familiar, as did riding a camel. No bloodline that I know of so I put that down to past life traces.
When I lived in Nepal as a child I felt the strongest connection ever to memories of past lives, I was young but I remember many experiences that were like small awakenings. I picked the language quickly... I spoke it within months. Nepal and I have unfinished business to date.

It was the only place I've ever felt such a powerful pull and not all of it was wonderful, but it was all very rich.

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Mantrik wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:56 am

Kevin
There is a simple alternative - you lie to Facebook when entering any data. With DNA, an ancestry check is the least worrying - the police harvest it from everyone they come across. I suspect that in the near future people whose jobs require a police and criminal record check will also have their DNA included in the sweep.
The police just caught a notorious serial killer using clues from family DNA from an ancestry website, pretty amazing.

https://www.livescience.com/62421-golde ... alogy.html

Return to “Lounge”