DNA TESTS

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Malcolm

Re: DNA TESTS

Post by Malcolm »

The Cicada wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:33 pm I am related to all Native American men on both continents.
My late paternal grandmother, like many Anglo-Americans, claimed to be part Native American. Cherokee, IIRC. Claims of Native American ancestry are fairly common in the States by people of whatever stock. ...When it comes to bragging about it, however, this takes the proverbial cake.

:lol:
Well, it is mostly surprising because there are no Indians in the woodpile in our family story.

Anyway, it is branch L232
The frequency of the lineage in Europe is highest in Scandinavian countries. It is 4 to 5 percent of male lineages in Iceland and Norway. It is about 6 percent of the male population in Sweden. The frequency across most of the rest of Europe is low and seldom reaches above 1 percent.

In the Americas, where it was a founding lineage, most pre-Columbian males are from this line. In Mexico, it is 82 to 91 percent of male lineages. It is 83 to 98 percent of the male population of Panama. In Greenland, it is over 80 percent of male lineages.
Be nice to me, I am your cousin. :-)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:30 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:55 pm
MiphamFan wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:44 pm How much Neanderthal DNA do you all have?
1.3 percent. People call me "blond," but I am really a redhead.
Which test shows that Neanderthal element up?
Actually, it is higher, 1.5. I guess the max is 5%.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:37 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:55 pm

1.3 percent. People call me "blond," but I am really a redhead.
Was it a separate test, or in there with the data on geographical origins? Some companies seem to go into far more detail than others.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:48 pm

Was it a separate test, or in there with the data on geographical origins? Some companies seem to go into far more detail than others.

I did the Geno thing like Cone.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:53 pm
Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:48 pm

I did the Geno thing like Cone.
Interesting, thanks. I wonder how many forms of DNA testing there are.

cyril

Post by cyril »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 am So, I had my DNA ancestry test done as a birthday present recently.

Armed with the results and my family tree I can now confirm that I am mostly Irish (from around Tipperary, rural poor) almost a third Austrian (Vienna, bastard royalty), about a fifth English (Yorkshire), and the rest mostly Scandinavian/NW Russia (no clue why, except the Vikings maybe).

But how do they figure this percentage ancestry?
When I did my DNA test (through National Genographics, about 10 years ago), they only provided your Y-dna and mt-dna haplogroups which you could subsequently match against various ethnic groups for frequency. So, best case scenario, you could only conclude you are half this and half that.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:02 pm
conebeckham wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:11 pm I'm awaiting results from LivingDNA.com, myself. Given my last name, and fairly extensive research on my mother's side (maiden name Lewin), it's a sure bet most of me is British/English. Definitely some German in there, whether Angle, Saxon or whatnot. LivingDNA breaks down the British Isles into more regions than any other test, which is why I chose them. My family lore has it that "Lewin" may be originally Welsh, Llewellyn, or something....but it could also be Leofwine, Anglo Saxon.

I anticipate some Native American, as well, given the family lore....Wampanoag, and possibly Cherokee, not that the test will tell me any of that.

Several of my Tibetan friends have had theirs done, and of course Mongolian figures in their DNA...but interestingly there's Native American markers in a few....also Korean and Japanese!
The acid test for English Beckham blood is undeniably the ability to play soccer and speak in a high pitched voice, but not necessarily at the same time. You can fake the latter after repeated scrotal impact, which may require a football or a Spice Girl.
I will fake it, no need for full contact groinal impact, thanks. As you likely know, there are two towns in Norfolk--Beckham and West Beckham, if I recall. I am Far West Beckham, of course...these things being relative.

Mantrik wrote:You may be assured of Welsh ancestry if you can complete an entire sentence without vowels but not without 4 pints of warm beer and singing 'Bread of Heaven' at the end. If it proves to be so, you are required to change your name to Dai and add a suitable suffix, so people can call you 'Dai the Bass' .

I know these things as I have enough Yorkshire blood always to be right about everything. Aye, lad. :)
Dw i'n hoffi cwrw gwres, diolch! Ydych chi'n gwybod "w" yn guhebydd yn Gymraeg, dde?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ashkenazi Jew, German, Dutch, Russian, Arab, North African (in that order).
Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 am I just wondered if others have had the test done and what it means to them.
I like the tests. It shows how we're all inter-connected genetically and that there is no pure race.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

cyril wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 pm But how do they figure this percentage ancestry?
When I did my DNA test (through National Genographics, about 10 years ago), they only provided your Y-dna and mt-dna haplogroups which you could subsequently match against various ethnic groups for frequency. So, best case scenario, you could only conclude you are half this and half that.
You can probably log back into NG and get updated info. I believe that's part of their deal, that they'll continually update.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

DNS wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm It shows how we're all inter-connected genetically and that there is no pure race.
Recently read an article describing the hand wringing among alt right boobs who discover heritage they've avowed to hate. You can imagine, it really hurts when they find out they're Jewish or black. Idiots.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:15 pm
DNS wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:10 pm It shows how we're all inter-connected genetically and that there is no pure race.
Recently read an article describing the hand wringing among alt right boobs who discover heritage they've avowed to hate. You can imagine, it really hurts when they find out they're Jewish or black. Idiots.
Yes, I've forgotten which UK white racist group's leader took a DNA test and discovered a significant black ancestry.

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:19 pm Yes, I've forgotten which UK white racist group's leader took a DNA test and discovered a significant black ancestry.
NSFW:
http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/chappell ... uncensored
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:29 pm
Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:19 pm Yes, I've forgotten which UK white racist group's leader took a DNA test and discovered a significant black ancestry.
NSFW:
http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/chappell ... uncensored
lol :)
Yes, it was a bit like that. One of them was Garry Bushell who found he was 8% african in a documentary named after its intention to debunk that anyone was '100% English'.

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

I took the Ancestry.com one, it doesn't seem as in depth as these other tests. The only surprise I got was that I'm only about 15% Iberian, since my family on my dad's side are 100% from Cuba. My father always said we were Spanish, Basque and French?! But my test showed about as much Mediterranean (Greek/Italian) as Spanish DNA. So, hi cousin Greg. :)

I'm mostly Irish, British and Scandinavian on my mom's side.

Oh, and I have a dash of African (North Africa, 2%) which I am claiming, gladly.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:19 pm
Yes, I've forgotten which UK white racist group's leader took a DNA test and discovered a significant black ancestry.
In reality of course, all of our distant ancestors were black.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 am

Are you saying Adam and Eve were black? :tongue:
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 am

Isn't there some doubt now about the 'all migrated from Africa' theory?

Next you'll be telling me Jesus, the Pharaohs, Shakyamuni and Mohammad weren't white either...but I won't believe you because on the films they are all white except Mohammed when he's a baddie.

Don't you just love it when Christians ask you why you are following a foreign religion? lol :)
Heppened to me a few days ago with a Catholic from Slovakia. The irony was lost on them.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

TharpaChodron wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:13 am I took the Ancestry.com one, it doesn't seem as in depth as these other tests. The only surprise I got was that I'm only about 15% Iberian, since my family on my dad's side are 100% from Cuba. My father always said we were Spanish, Basque and French?! But my test showed about as much Mediterranean (Greek/Italian) as Spanish DNA. So, hi cousin Greg. :)

I'm mostly Irish, British and Scandinavian on my mom's side.

Oh, and I have a dash of African (North Africa, 2%) which I am claiming, gladly.
That's the one I took - well, ancestry.co.uk, which I assume is the same company and labs.
My results were clairifed a lot by the family tree I had built up on their website, which made all the difference. Surnames also helped, and those on their database with very close DNA matches also have shared surnames in their past.

My wife's family literally moved a couple of streets over the last few hundred years, but of course immigration and invasion of the UK makes 'place of origin' less reliable. My side of the family travelled all over the world so once the database becomes global I expect to find a few more distant cousins.
I have 3% Iberian and 2% Italy/Greece so very few links with warmer climes - none so far on the family tree.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

gedmatch.com

GED MATCH accepts uploaded data files from several DNA companies and gives you a breakdown including things like Neanderthal .

It is free and only needs an email address and zipped or text file etc.

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

I haven't done a DNA test yet but I'd be interested to do one in the future.

I already know that on my mother's side of the family, my great grandmother traced the family tree, and traced back the Beattie family is Scottish and English (linked by different reiver families) and can be traced further back to the Vikings.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Return to “Lounge”