An interesting book...

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
shankara

An interesting book...

Post by shankara » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:36 pm

...So the author is not strictly Buddhist in the sense of actually being a part of one of the traditions. He does however write a lot about Buddhist ideas, give mantras such as the one from the Heart Sutra. He also affirms the doctrine of not-self, that there is no permanent self. His own way of describing his doctrine was as a synthesis of Buddhism and Esoteric Christianity (the form of Christianity found in Gurdjieff's work)... Anyway it's my personal opinion that if he was not a Bodhisattva trying to tame beings through Upaya, he was at the very least an interesting person worth making some studies of...

The person I am speaking of is known as Samael Aun Weor. I have recently finished translating one of his books called "The Social Christ" which contains some very interesting discussion of many social problems and comprehensive critique of Marxism in which he mentions the reconditioning of Tibetan children by the Chinese Maoists.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, personally I'm not even entirely convinced, but I think that for anyone who considers themself any sort of social activist or Engaged Buddhist this book in particular is worth reading. You'll get from it whatever you get from it, which I think is the author's intention, he says "I am just a signpost, do not follow me, seek your own self-realisation".
Last edited by Grigoris on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed link.

steveb1

Re: An interesting book...

Post by steveb1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Thank you for sharing this. Sounds interesting.

:)

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:41 pm

He was a nutjob:

".... Samael Aun Weor is my true name as a Boddhisattwa. Samael is the name of my Monad! I am perfectly cognizant of the dawn of life in this Solar System! I saw the dawning of Creation! I am here with this humanity, from the very first moment, since the heart of this solar system started to palpitate after the long Cosmic Night. I came here (to this planet) because my Internal God, my Father who is within me, sent me! My only purpose is to serve and help this humanity! This is why I am serving my fellowmen. This is why I am working for the sake of this humanity! ..."
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:01 am

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:41 pm
He was a nutjob:

".... Samael Aun Weor is my true name as a Boddhisattwa. Samael is the name of my Monad! I am perfectly cognizant of the dawn of life in this Solar System! I saw the dawning of Creation! I am here with this humanity, from the very first moment, since the heart of this solar system started to palpitate after the long Cosmic Night. I came here (to this planet) because my Internal God, my Father who is within me, sent me! My only purpose is to serve and help this humanity! This is why I am serving my fellowmen. This is why I am working for the sake of this humanity! ..."
:rolling:
To be fair though, these are just very eccentric choices of terminology. No crazy ideas yet.

Wasn't Crowley guided by his higher genius? How is that exceptionally dissimilar to an internal God, your father within you?

"My monad" is a bit weird because it implies there is more than one. That not what a "monad" is obv, its not a dyad.
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.

吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

steveb1

Post by steveb1 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:03 am

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:41 pm
He was a nutjob:

Oops...thanks for the explicit corrective, which was not included in the OP.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:05 am

Not particularly relevant to Buddhism, so unless someone has a particular interest in discussion i'm closing this.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Return to “Lounge”