Fantasy

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
beer

Fantasy

Post by beer »

I see a lot of so called practitioners living in a fanttasy. People play dress up and act like ngakpa"s or yogini"s. Some say they are dakini"s and vwear chubpas and ornaments.. Others act wildly and say what ever comes into there mind. They think they arre being spontaneous and beyond right and wrong. They talk about emptiness and tantra and give out advice like they are some kind of authority. Others talk about their teachers as if they know the eachers mind. They think they have pure vision and devotion but it is mostly there own projection. People run everwhere after wangs but they dont even know what wang it is, and the comitments they have supposedly taken. So much effort is put into receiving teachings but people just blindly believe what is being said. People simply allow themselves to become brainwashed. Some monks do three yar retreat, serve their teacher and live in retreat places but the try to have sex with every western girl that comes to the retreat place for polgrimage. Othet so called Lama"s sit in palaces whilst beggars sit outside their palace walls People need to wake up. They need to look at themselves and there situation honestly. Most dharma practitioners struggle to be a good citizen, friend or neighbour. Whats the use of all this complicated philosophy and esoteric practice if you cant even be a good human being?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Fantasy

Post by Grigoris »

beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:20 am I see a lot of so called practitioners living in a fanttasy. People play dress up and act like ngakpa"s or yogini"s. Some say they are dakini"s and vwear chubpas and ornaments.. Others act wildly and say what ever comes into there mind. They think they arre being spontaneous and beyond right and wrong. They talk about emptiness and tantra and give out advice like they are some kind of authority. Others talk about their teachers as if they know the eachers mind. They think they have pure vision and devotion but it is mostly there own projection. People run everwhere after wangs but they dont even know what wang it is, and the comitments they have supposedly taken. So much effort is put into receiving teachings but people just blindly believe what is being said. People simply allow themselves to become brainwashed. Some monks do three yar retreat, serve their teacher and live in retreat places but the try to have sex with every western girl that comes to the retreat place for polgrimage. Othet so called Lama"s sit in palaces whilst beggars sit outside their palace walls People need to wake up. They need to look at themselves and there situation honestly. Most dharma practitioners struggle to be a good citizen, friend or neighbour. Whats the use of all this complicated philosophy and esoteric practice if you cant even be a good human being?
Samsara is a bitch, huh?

How is your practice going?

As long as even a drop of ignorance remains we will engage in afflicted actions. It is that simple.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
cyril

Post by cyril »

beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:20 am I see a lot of so called practitioners living in a fanttasy. People play dress up and act like ngakpa"s or yogini"s. Some say they are dakini"s and vwear chubpas and ornaments.. Others act wildly and say what ever comes into there mind. They think they arre being spontaneous and beyond right and wrong. They talk about emptiness and tantra and give out advice like they are some kind of authority. Others talk about their teachers as if they know the eachers mind. They think they have pure vision and devotion but it is mostly there own projection. People run everwhere after wangs but they dont even know what wang it is, and the comitments they have supposedly taken. So much effort is put into receiving teachings but people just blindly believe what is being said. People simply allow themselves to become brainwashed. Some monks do three yar retreat, serve their teacher and live in retreat places but the try to have sex with every western girl that comes to the retreat place for polgrimage. Othet so called Lama"s sit in palaces whilst beggars sit outside their palace walls People need to wake up. They need to look at themselves and there situation honestly. Most dharma practitioners struggle to be a good citizen, friend or neighbour. Whats the use of all this complicated philosophy and esoteric practice if you cant even be a good human being?
"Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in every thing
That's how the light gets in"
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
beer

Post by beer »

Grigoris wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:42 am
beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:20 am I see a lot of so called practitioners living in a fantasy. People play dress up and act like ngakpa"s or yogini"s. Some say they are dakini"s and wear chupas and ornaments.. Others act wildly and say what ever comes into their mind. They think they are being spontaneous and beyond right and wrong. They talk about emptiness and tantra and give out advice like they are some kind of authority. Others talk about their teachers as if they know the teachers mind. They think they have pure vision and devotion but it is mostly there own projection. People run everwhere after wangs but they dont even know what wang it is and the comitments they have supposedly taken. So much effort is put into receiving teachings but people just blindly believe what is being said. People simply allow themselves to become brainwashed. Some monks do three year retreat, serve their teacher and live in retreat places but the try to have sex with every western girl that comes to the retreat place for pilgrimage. Other so called Lama"s sit in palaces whilst beggars sit outside their palace walls People need to wake up. They need to look at themselves and there situation honestly. Most dharma practitioners struggle to be a good citizen, friend or neighbour. Whats the use of all this complicated philosophy and esoteric practice if you cant even be a good human being?
Samsara is a bitch, huh?

How is your practice going?

As long as even a drop of ignorance remains we will engage in afflicted actions. It is that simple.
Yes, samsara is a bitch.

Merely stating that it is does not change anything.

I don't consider myself a practitioner.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

This is the Kali Yuga after all.

The sense of self-righteousness or moral-outrage we may feel can't last long when we're still subject to the same root afflictions that we admonish others for.

'Pointing out faults to a short-tempered retinue
In these degenerate times, even with the wish to benefit,
Gives rise to negative states of mind.
‘To speak peacefully’ is my heart advice.

Giving advice with a wish to benefit and without self-interest,
Or lovingly pointing out someone’s hidden faults,
We might be honest, but still it creates heartache.
‘To speak pleasantly’ is my heart advice.'

Thirty Pieces of Heart Advice

by Longchen Rabjam (1308—1363)
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Vasana wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:31 am This is the Kali Yuga after all.

The sense of self-righteousness or moral-outrage we may feel can't last long when we're still subject to the same root afflictions that we admonish others for.

:good:
beer

Post by beer »

If we don't identify what is going wrong then we have no chance to change anything.
Critical intelligence is necessary. Judging things is necessary. Observing others actions and deciding what is right or wrong beneficial or non beneficial is necessary etc etc. Simply saying we are in samsara, the Kali Yuga is here, we should not judge others, we should only find fault in ourselves etc etc is no help at all. It is passive and irresponsible. Many people think not judging others or intervening in negative behaviour is acting ethically but it may be that they are just shit scared of confronting someone. The reality is most people are just piss weak and lazy.
I remember being at Swayambhunath on a holy day. Thousands of buddhists were there doing kora. A child was involved in a hit and run. No one ran to its aid. No one called the police or an ambulance. Thousands of so called buddhists and no one did shit. Why? People were to shit scared to get involved or they just didn't care. The child was beggar. his mother eventually came running from up the street and picked up his limp body and ran screaming. Sorry, we have to judge and act.
beer

Post by beer »

Tiago Simões wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:29 am

:good:
Judging others does not mean one is necessarily self righteous.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:39 am

If we don't identify what is going wrong then we have no chance to change anything.
Critical intelligence is necessary. Judging things is necessary. Observing others actions and deciding what is right or wrong beneficial or non beneficial is necessary etc etc. Simply saying we are in samsara, the Kali Yuga is here, we should not judge others, we should only find fault in ourselves etc etc is no help at all. It is passive and irresponsible. Many people think not judging others or intervening in negative behaviour is acting ethically but it may be that they are just shit scared of confronting someone. The reality is most people are just piss weak and lazy.
I remember being at Swayambhunath on a holy day. Thousands of buddhists were there doing kora. A child was involved in a hit and run. No one ran to its aid. No one called the police or an ambulance. Thousands of so called buddhists and no one did shit. Why? People were to shit scared to get involved or they just didn't care. The child was beggar. his mother eventually came running from up the street and picked up his limp body and ran screaming. Sorry, we have to judge and act.
This is not a relevant example. Of course you should help in the case of the hit and run. But you cannot help someone who you think is a weak or lazy practitioner by scolding them. The way to do it is to first remove yourself from samsara, and then you can help others.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:52 amMerely stating that it is does not change anything.
I didn't say it did. But now you are cherry picking.
I don't consider myself a practitioner.
Good for you! So you are just here to troll?
But you are not a practitioner, so why do you want to change anything?

PS When the child was hit-and-run, what did you do??? :shrug:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:41 amJudging others does not mean one is necessarily self righteous.
Of course it does. In order to judge one must consider that they are in a position to judge, ie one must consider themselves above those that they are judging. That is self-righteousness.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

:popcorn:
beer

Post by beer »

I could say that some of the responses to my comments are judgemental, that people are using crtical inteligence to decide what is right or wrong etc etc and I would be correct, and ithere is nothing wrong with you all doing that, because it is necessary.
Im glad that Malcolm is eating popcorn
also.
When the child was run over I yelled ou to the crowd to ring an ambulance. Igranbed people and asked if they new the number for an ambulance.. One person new the number butbdidnt call. I should have done more. I didnt run over to the kid. I should have though.

No shit, we have to work kn ourselves. No shit being hyocritical is stupid and shameful. But no one needs a license to think and act critically and if one does it with a good intention then that is great in my book.
If we are trying to get to the truth then we need to do it.
Look, we can be vwise about it and stupid about it.

I dont consider my self a practitioner but I have been involved in Budfhism for nearly twety years. . Im not here to start shit with people. I say what I h ave seen over the years and I do it because Im.concerned and Ive been in the guts of it.

Sorry for the poor spellling etc, no glasses.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:08 pm I could say that some of the responses to my comments are judgemental, that people are using crtical inteligence to decide what is right or wrong etc etc and I would be correct, and ithere is nothing wrong with you all doing that, because it is necessary.
also.
When the child was run over I yelled ou to the crowd to ring an ambulance. Igranbed people and asked if they new the number for an ambulance.. One person new the number butbdidnt call. I should have done more. I didnt run over to the kid. I should have though.

No shit, we have to work kn ourselves. No shit being hyocritical is stupid and shameful. But no one needs a license to think and act critically and if one does it with a good intention then that is great in my book.

I dont consider my self a practitioner but I have been involved in Budfhism for nearly twety years. . Im not here to start shit with people. I say what I h ave seen over the years and I do it because Im.concerned and Ive been in the guts of it.

There are four immeasurables: love, compassion, sympathetic joy, and equanimity. It is a fault to allow equanimity to become indifference, nevertheless, of the four, equanimity is the most important.

Mahākāśyapa was walking through a town one day and saw a man eating a fish and kicking a dog to keep it away from his meal. Kāśypa started laughing at the sight and his student, frankly, was a little shocked. "Why are you laughing at that man kicking a dog?" he asked. Kāśyapa replied, "I am laughing because unbeknownst to that man, he is eating his mother and kicking his father. Samsara is a terrible place."

You should not concern yourself too much with what others do. Why? There is little one can do. You should focus on your bodhisattva path, and feel compassion for everyone, even those deficient Buddhists who don't call ambulances for injured children in Katmandu.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Critical intelligence is necessary. Judging things is necessary. Observing others actions and deciding what is right or wrong beneficial or non beneficial is necessary etc etc. Simply saying we are in samsara, the Kali Yuga is here, we should not judge others, we should only find fault in ourselves etc etc is no help at all. It is passive and irresponsible.
Of course. Judgement is productive when it leads to ethical interventions. We can act when we see it needs acting. But when considering the innumerable beings committing misdeeds,both dharma folk and not, judgement is resigned to rhetoric unless we are actually present in any given situation. By all means act when the circumstances present themselves.
beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:39 am Many people think not judging others or intervening in negative behaviour is acting ethically but it may be that they are just shit scared of confronting someone. The reality is most people are just piss weak and lazy.
Yes you're right, sometimes failing to act is unethical. Rather than people being piss-weak or lazy, it's easier in a Buddhist context to say people are simply ignorant of the causes and conditions that lead to suffering and those that lead to happiness, both personally and collectively. Calling people piss-weak and lazy rarely brings them any closer to not being piss-weak and lazy.

beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:39 am I remember being at Swayambhunath on a holy day. Thousands of buddhists were there doing kora. A child was involved in a hit and run. No one ran to its aid. No one called the police or an ambulance. Thousands of so called buddhists and no one did shit. Why? People were to shit scared to get involved or they just didn't care. The child was beggar. his mother eventually came running from up the street and picked up his limp body and ran screaming. Sorry, we have to judge and act.
That's an unfortunate story. I would put that more down to the 'bystander effect' than anything else. People feel less inclined to help when there are crowds of people because everyone assumes that someone else will step in. This is less a collection of personal failings and more symptomatic of our combined ignorance in knowing how best to respond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

'The bystander effect, or bystander apathy, is a social psychological phenomenon in which individuals are less likely to offer help to a victim when other people are present. The greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. Several factors contribute to the bystander effect, including ambiguity, cohesiveness and diffusion of responsibility.'
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
beer

Post by beer »

Vasana wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Critical intelligence is necessary. Judging things is necessary. Observing others actions and deciding what is right or wrong beneficial or non beneficial is necessary etc etc. Simply saying we are in samsara, the Kali Yuga is here, we should not judge others, we should only find fault in ourselves etc etc is no help at all. It is passive and irresponsible.
Of course. Judgement is productive when it leads to ethical interventions. We can act when we see it needs acting. But when considering the innumerable beings committing misdeeds,both dharma folk and not, judgement is resigned to rhetoric unless we are actually present in any given situation. By all means act when the circumstances present themselves.
beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:39 am Many people think not judging others or intervening in negative behaviour is acting ethically but it may be that they are just shit scared of confronting someone. The reality is most people are just piss weak and lazy.
Yes you're right, sometimes failing to act is unethical. Rather than people being piss-weak or lazy, it's easier in a Buddhist context to say people are simply ignorant of the causes and conditions that lead to suffering and those that lead to happiness, both personally and collectively. Calling people piss-weak and lazy rarely brings them any closer to not being piss-weak and lazy.

beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:39 am I remember being at Swayambhunath on a holy day. Thousands of buddhists were there doing kora. A child was involved in a hit and run. No one ran to its aid. No one called the police or an ambulance. Thousands of so called buddhists and no one did shit. Why? People were to shit scared to get involved or they just didn't care. The child was beggar. his mother eventually came running from up the street and picked up his limp body and ran screaming. Sorry, we have to judge and act.
That's an unfortunate story. I would put that more down to the 'bystander effect' than anything else. People feel less inclined to help when there are crowds of people because everyone assumes that someone else will step in. This is less a collection of personal failings and more symptomatic of our combined ignorance in knowing how best to respond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

'The bystander effect, or bystander apathy, is a social psychological phenomenon in which individuals are less likely to offer help to a victim when other people are present. The greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. Several factors contribute to the bystander effect, including ambiguity, cohesiveness and diffusion of responsibility.'
bystander effect, maybe. More like cultural indoctrination miced with fear and lack of compassion. I asked different people there why no one called an ambulance the replies; we dont want to get involved due to police involvement , fear of retrribution and the kid was a beggar.
beer

Post by beer »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:34 pm
beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:08 pm I could say that some of the responses to my comments are judgemental, that people are using crtical inteligence to decide what is right or wrong etc etc and I would be correct, and ithere is nothing wrong with you all doing that, because it is necessary.
also.

There are four immeasurables: love, compassion, sympathetic joy, and equanimity. It is a fault to allow equanimity to become indifference, nevertheless, of the four, equanimity is the most important.

Mahākāśyapa was walking through a town one day and saw a man eating a fish and kicking a dog to keep it away from his meal. Kāśypa started laughing at the sight and his student, frankly, was a little shocked. "Why are you laughing at that man kicking a dog?" he asked. Kāśyapa replied, "I am laughing because unbeknownst to that man, he is eating his mother and kicking his father. Samsara is a terrible place."

You should not concern yourself too much with what others do. Why? There is little one can do. You should focus on your bodhisattva path, and feel compassion for everyone, even those deficient Buddhists who don't call ambulances for injured children in Katmandu.
Stopping the guy kicking the dog or at least trying to stop him is perfectly ressonable and probably achievable withbthe right frame of mind and physicality
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Thinking oneself into complacency in the face of suffering that can be alleviated and calling it a spritual perfection is abhorrent, imo. Across Asia where Buddhism has penetrated, we see a correlation with an anemic social charity movement. I think the connection is one of cause and effect. To me it seems like a vestige of the Vedic/Brahmanic soil from which Buddhism emerged. Why try to help another avoid suffering when it's just their karma? Buddhists could learn a thing or two from Christians and Muslims on this point.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:03 pm Thinking oneself into complacency in the face of suffering that can be alleviated and calling it a spritual perfection is abhorrent, imo. Across Asia where Buddhism has penetrated, we see a correlation with an anemic social charity movement.
Evidence? For all 2500 years of its existence?
Buddhists could learn a thing or two from Christians and Muslims on this point.
No, I don't think this is true on any level at all.
Last edited by Malcolm on Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

beer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:32 pm Stopping the guy kicking the dog or at least trying to stop him is perfectly ressonable and probably achievable withbthe right frame of mind and physicality
You missed the point of anecdote. And what about the fish?

Return to “Lounge”