Young people are loneliest?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Virgo

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by Virgo »

justsit wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:12 am
Virgo wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:30 am On a more serious note, I heard they are making sex robots now that are a kind of artificial intelligence, and they respond to you and so on.

Not too sure how this will effect intimacy, lol.
Great! Now the self-labeled "incels" who can't get a date (gee, why?) won't have an excuse to run over and kill young women walking down the street.
:jumping:

Kevin
madhusudan

Post by madhusudan »

PSM wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:42 pm I really recommend reading this book, or at least understanding its contents from other sources.

https://www.amazon.com/Hooked-How-Build ... op?ie=UTF8

"Attention engineers" have figured out how to make smartphones literally addictive by hacking the dopamine reward system. I don't think many people have realised how seriously terrible and deliberate this is.
Yep, this is Skinner's Box applied. Click the button, get a hit of something that feels good. Compliant rats monetized.

People I know think it's odd I don't own a smartphone. Grew up without it, and have no need for constant contact. Maps can be useful, but we seemed to get by without it back in the day.

I watched the transition from the beginnings of the Internet to nearly universal adoption of smartphones and the effects are clear: Total addiction.

I teach college age kids. When I tell them it's break time in a 3 hour class, it's silence. They're all on their smartphones. I feel really sorry for them, but it's their choice.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

As far as the incels, it seems to me that a cheaper and lower-tech solution would be to legalize prostitution. It exists in all but name now, but is accessible only by the rich.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

tingdzin wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:13 am As far as the incels, it seems to me that a cheaper and lower-tech solution would be to legalize prostitution. It exists in all but name now, but is accessible only by the rich.

I don't think it would be cheaper.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

tingdzin wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:13 am As far as the incels, it seems to me that a cheaper and lower-tech solution would be to legalize prostitution. It exists in all but name now, but is accessible only by the rich.
The proposed solution to the problem of no sex is a contemporary social issue though. In other words sex sells and the core message is that to have a happy fulfilling life one must be engaged fully and with abandon to the hyper-sexualised lifestyle. People who are not players, have poor social lives or are very low ranking attractive wise are at high risk in terms of becoming lonely (in this context meaning not having partners).

Ben Shapiro addressed and framed the issue of incels as sharing a victim mentality, and one of entitlement that society should provide. He stated that people should seek to better themselves socially, spiritually, cognitively, financially etc. To meet the :quoteunquote: right person become the right person; a person worthy of commitment and love. That is not to suggest that people who are emotionally stunted or damaged or otherwise compromised are unworthy or unlovable, only that they are a work in progress.

As far as the robot issue goes it's another problem of throwing options in order to fix something, which has the unwanted effect of actually reducing options. If power equals options it is not the power itself that corrupts. It's having those options and using them without restraint or caution that causes a lot of other issues. For example you might encounter decision paralysis with an overwhelming number of options effectively rendering most of them redundant. The brain has to work harder than ever leading to apathy and a sense of meaninglessness.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

At the risk of setting off an MGTOW riot, I will say the attention directed to girls in schools in the US has been at a cost to boys. A complimentary and commensurate attention and effort needs to be made to adjust the culturation of boys in a comparable manner that has been done for girls over the last generation.

Not sure if this related to the OP, but this incel thing seems to be a permutation of millennial loneliness.

:soapbox:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Queequeg wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:19 am At the risk of setting off an MGTOW riot, I will say the attention directed to girls in schools in the US has been at a cost to boys. A complimentary and commensurate attention and effort needs to be made to adjust the culturation of boys in a comparable manner that has been done for girls over the last generation.

Not sure if this related to the OP, but this incel thing seems to be a permutation of millennial loneliness.

Didn't you get the memo? The future is female, dude.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

dzogchungpa wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:10 am
Queequeg wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:19 am At the risk of setting off an MGTOW riot, I will say the attention directed to girls in schools in the US has been at a cost to boys. A complimentary and commensurate attention and effort needs to be made to adjust the culturation of boys in a comparable manner that has been done for girls over the last generation.

Didn't you get the memo? The future is female, dude.
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

I'm going to borrow from Karen Straughan here who has mentioned that Men (originally) have extrinsic value in that their worth lies in doing not being. Women have intrinsic value on account of having a womb. For a man to act feminine is not enough as he/she does not possess this trump card and simply being runs the risk of being thrown on what Karen called :quoteunquote: the trash heap of society.

:stirthepot:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

dzogchungpa wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:23 pmGodDAMN, I've got to see that movie.
It's not that good, relied a little too heavily on effects. The original was WAY better.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Why do people use the term "incels"? Why not call them by the old and trusted term: "wankers"? That is what they are, after all.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Grigoris wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 pm Why do people use the term "incels"? Why not call them by the old and trusted term: "wankers"? That is what they are, after all.

Well, you can be a wanker without being an incel.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

dzogchungpa wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:53 pm
Grigoris wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 pm Why do people use the term "incels"? Why not call them by the old and trusted term: "wankers"? That is what they are, after all.

Sorry: complete and utter wanker.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Grigoris wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:54 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Sorry: complete and utter wanker.

A bit of a mouthful, don't you think?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

dzogchungpa wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 pmA bit of a mouthful, don't you think?
Sounds like a "bit of a mouthful" is exactly what they need.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Grigoris wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 pmA bit of a mouthful, don't you think?
Sounds like a "bit of a mouthful" is exactly what they need.

Oh snap!

Wait, a mouthful of what? Image
PSM

Post by PSM »

Compassion and a guiding hand, I would hope. And then they would hopefully be able to claw their way out of the resentful pit which seems to be easier and easier to get stuck in these days.

Return to “Lounge”