Young people are loneliest?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
User avatar
Virgo
Global Moderator
Posts: 3484
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by Virgo » Fri May 04, 2018 3:24 am

justsit wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:12 am
Virgo wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:30 am
On a more serious note, I heard they are making sex robots now that are a kind of artificial intelligence, and they respond to you and so on.

Not too sure how this will effect intimacy, lol.
Great! Now the self-labeled "incels" who can't get a date (gee, why?) won't have an excuse to run over and kill young women walking down the street.
:jumping:


Kevin

madhusudan
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by madhusudan » Fri May 04, 2018 4:58 am

PSM wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:42 pm
I really recommend reading this book, or at least understanding its contents from other sources.

https://www.amazon.com/Hooked-How-Build ... op?ie=UTF8

"Attention engineers" have figured out how to make smartphones literally addictive by hacking the dopamine reward system. I don't think many people have realised how seriously terrible and deliberate this is.
Yep, this is Skinner's Box applied. Click the button, get a hit of something that feels good. Compliant rats monetized.

People I know think it's odd I don't own a smartphone. Grew up without it, and have no need for constant contact. Maps can be useful, but we seemed to get by without it back in the day.

I watched the transition from the beginnings of the Internet to nearly universal adoption of smartphones and the effects are clear: Total addiction.

I teach college age kids. When I tell them it's break time in a 3 hour class, it's silence. They're all on their smartphones. I feel really sorry for them, but it's their choice.

tingdzin
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by tingdzin » Fri May 04, 2018 5:13 am

As far as the incels, it seems to me that a cheaper and lower-tech solution would be to legalize prostitution. It exists in all but name now, but is accessible only by the rich.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri May 04, 2018 5:25 am

tingdzin wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:13 am
As far as the incels, it seems to me that a cheaper and lower-tech solution would be to legalize prostitution. It exists in all but name now, but is accessible only by the rich.

I don't think it would be cheaper.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

DharmaN00b
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by DharmaN00b » Wed May 09, 2018 11:12 pm

tingdzin wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:13 am
As far as the incels, it seems to me that a cheaper and lower-tech solution would be to legalize prostitution. It exists in all but name now, but is accessible only by the rich.
The proposed solution to the problem of no sex is a contemporary social issue though. In other words sex sells and the core message is that to have a happy fulfilling life one must be engaged fully and with abandon to the hyper-sexualised lifestyle. People who are not players, have poor social lives or are very low ranking attractive wise are at high risk in terms of becoming lonely (in this context meaning not having partners).

Ben Shapiro addressed and framed the issue of incels as sharing a victim mentality, and one of entitlement that society should provide. He stated that people should seek to better themselves socially, spiritually, cognitively, financially etc. To meet the :quoteunquote: right person become the right person; a person worthy of commitment and love. That is not to suggest that people who are emotionally stunted or damaged or otherwise compromised are unworthy or unlovable, only that they are a work in progress.

As far as the robot issue goes it's another problem of throwing options in order to fix something, which has the unwanted effect of actually reducing options. If power equals options it is not the power itself that corrupts. It's having those options and using them without restraint or caution that causes a lot of other issues. For example you might encounter decision paralysis with an overwhelming number of options effectively rendering most of them redundant. The brain has to work harder than ever leading to apathy and a sense of meaninglessness.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6397
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by Queequeg » Thu May 10, 2018 2:19 am

At the risk of setting off an MGTOW riot, I will say the attention directed to girls in schools in the US has been at a cost to boys. A complimentary and commensurate attention and effort needs to be made to adjust the culturation of boys in a comparable manner that has been done for girls over the last generation.

Not sure if this related to the OP, but this incel thing seems to be a permutation of millennial loneliness.

:soapbox:
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu May 10, 2018 3:10 am

Queequeg wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:19 am
At the risk of setting off an MGTOW riot, I will say the attention directed to girls in schools in the US has been at a cost to boys. A complimentary and commensurate attention and effort needs to be made to adjust the culturation of boys in a comparable manner that has been done for girls over the last generation.

Not sure if this related to the OP, but this incel thing seems to be a permutation of millennial loneliness.

:soapbox:

Didn't you get the memo? The future is female, dude.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6397
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by Queequeg » Thu May 10, 2018 3:19 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:10 am
Queequeg wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:19 am
At the risk of setting off an MGTOW riot, I will say the attention directed to girls in schools in the US has been at a cost to boys. A complimentary and commensurate attention and effort needs to be made to adjust the culturation of boys in a comparable manner that has been done for girls over the last generation.

Not sure if this related to the OP, but this incel thing seems to be a permutation of millennial loneliness.

:soapbox:

Didn't you get the memo? The future is female, dude.
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

DharmaN00b
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by DharmaN00b » Thu May 10, 2018 8:51 am

Queequeg wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:19 am
At the risk of setting off an MGTOW riot, I will say the attention directed to girls in schools in the US has been at a cost to boys. A complimentary and commensurate attention and effort needs to be made to adjust the culturation of boys in a comparable manner that has been done for girls over the last generation.
I'm going to borrow from Karen Straughan here who has mentioned that Men (originally) have extrinsic value in that their worth lies in doing not being. Women have intrinsic value on account of having a womb. For a man to act feminine is not enough as he/she does not possess this trump card and simply being runs the risk of being thrown on what Karen called :quoteunquote: the trash heap of society.

:stirthepot:

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 18026
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by Grigoris » Fri May 11, 2018 7:37 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:23 pm
GodDAMN, I've got to see that movie.
It's not that good, relied a little too heavily on effects. The original was WAY better.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 18026
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by Grigoris » Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Why do people use the term "incels"? Why not call them by the old and trusted term: "wankers"? That is what they are, after all.


"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri May 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 pm
Why do people use the term "incels"? Why not call them by the old and trusted term: "wankers"? That is what they are, after all.


Well, you can be a wanker without being an incel.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 18026
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by Grigoris » Fri May 11, 2018 7:54 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:53 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 pm
Why do people use the term "incels"? Why not call them by the old and trusted term: "wankers"? That is what they are, after all.


Well, you can be a wanker without being an incel.
Sorry: complete and utter wanker.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:54 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:53 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 pm
Why do people use the term "incels"? Why not call them by the old and trusted term: "wankers"? That is what they are, after all.


Well, you can be a wanker without being an incel.
Sorry: complete and utter wanker.

A bit of a mouthful, don't you think?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 18026
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by Grigoris » Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 pm
A bit of a mouthful, don't you think?
Sounds like a "bit of a mouthful" is exactly what they need.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri May 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 pm
A bit of a mouthful, don't you think?
Sounds like a "bit of a mouthful" is exactly what they need.

Oh snap!


Wait, a mouthful of what? Image
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
PSM
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: Young people are loneliest?

Post by PSM » Sat May 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Compassion and a guiding hand, I would hope. And then they would hopefully be able to claw their way out of the resentful pit which seems to be easier and easier to get stuck in these days.
"The only virtue which cannot be faked is courage" - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
"Not practicing dharma is painful" - Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche
"We don't want to feel the weirdness of life." - James Low

Post Reply

Return to “Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests