TRUCK FUMP

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: TRUCK FUMP

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 pm
Minobu wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:49 pmyeah i get that ..it's a whole other reality for countries that are smaller population and resources compared to countries with infinite resources and money...Canada has a population of 36 and 1/2 million...America is325.7 million...greece 10.75....greece is really doing over and beyound what is expected of any democracy in the free world.
There are over 7000 refugees just on the island where I live (the island had a total population of 86,000). Hungary (total population of 9.9 million), with it's current ultra-right wing anti-migrant hysteria, only took in 4,691 in 2016 (at the peak of the refugee/migration wave).
I was told by a Slovakian that her country was keen to accept refugees........who were Catholics or prepared to convert first. Beggars belief.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Snopes agrees this is mostly true. OK, it isn't life or death, but shows the values at work:

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

A more appropriate Bowie?

Saw Bowie's first show in NY after 9-11. He opened with this.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

So do we swallow the explanation for leaving the UNHCR?

He's right that other members are abusing human rights.

He's right that Israel's abuses are being singled out for special treatment.

I just wonder if he aspires to join the club of ever more extreme human rights abusers himself.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

What US and UK media won't tell you about the war in Yemen
The recent Saudi and UAE-led coalition's assault on the strategic Yemeni port city of Hudaida has forced an estimated 30,000 Yemenis to flee their homes and puts at risk the lives of some 22 million Yemenis who depend on Hudaida as the main gateway for imports of relief supplies and commercial goods.

More than 10,000 people have died in the war in Yemen, which has entered its fourth year, and about 80 percent of the population is in need of humanitarian aid.

The conflict has been cast in ways that have been very misleading to a US or UK audience. People don't realise how involved our governments are in creating this catastrophe in Yemen. It's construed as something that just is happening somewhere to people who are fighting each other.

Shireen al-Adeimi, assistant professor at Michigan State University

Yet Yemen's conflict, which has been described as the "forgotten war" by Amnesty International, receives little media coverage.

If covered, western news outlets consistently portray the conflict as a proxy war between Iranian-backed Houthi-led militias and Yemenis. But how much attention has been given to the US and the UK, whose billion-dollar weapons sales and military assistance have enabled wealthy Gulf states to wage war against the poorest country in the Middle East?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:34 am What US and UK media won't tell you about the war in Yemen
The recent Saudi and UAE-led coalition's assault on the strategic Yemeni port city of Hudaida has forced an estimated 30,000 Yemenis to flee their homes and puts at risk the lives of some 22 million Yemenis who depend on Hudaida as the main gateway for imports of relief supplies and commercial goods.

More than 10,000 people have died in the war in Yemen, which has entered its fourth year, and about 80 percent of the population is in need of humanitarian aid.

The conflict has been cast in ways that have been very misleading to a US or UK audience. People don't realise how involved our governments are in creating this catastrophe in Yemen. It's construed as something that just is happening somewhere to people who are fighting each other.

Shireen al-Adeimi, assistant professor at Michigan State University

Yet Yemen's conflict, which has been described as the "forgotten war" by Amnesty International, receives little media coverage.

If covered, western news outlets consistently portray the conflict as a proxy war between Iranian-backed Houthi-led militias and Yemenis. But how much attention has been given to the US and the UK, whose billion-dollar weapons sales and military assistance have enabled wealthy Gulf states to wage war against the poorest country in the Middle East?
Oh, I think it is worse than that. I doubt that 90% of either country's population has any idea there is a conflict. I also doubt that most have even heard of Yemen. Most Americans probably place it somewhere below Mexico.

Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 pm
Grigoris wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 pm
Minobu wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:49 pmyeah i get that ..it's a whole other reality for countries that are smaller population and resources compared to countries with infinite resources and money...Canada has a population of 36 and 1/2 million...America is325.7 million...greece 10.75....greece is really doing over and beyound what is expected of any democracy in the free world.
There are over 7000 refugees just on the island where I live (the island had a total population of 86,000). Hungary (total population of 9.9 million), with it's current ultra-right wing anti-migrant hysteria, only took in 4,691 in 2016 (at the peak of the refugee/migration wave).
I was told by a Slovakian that her country was keen to accept refugees........who were Catholics or prepared to convert first. Beggars belief.
Look up and see how many refugees have been accepted in the neighboring countries of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Iran, Kuwait, etc. Pretty damn close to zero. Saudi Arabia has over 3,000,000 tents with air conditioning and indoor plumbing that sit empty for most of the year. I, for one, am getting f*#^ing tired of all of the US bashing that happens in this site on a regular basis. Is the US perfect? Of course not! But look at some of the other countries that are on the UN human rights council...what a joke!! All of the above countries other than the US, imprison people for blasphemy, execute gays and apostates, require women to be covered from head to toe, although just in the past few days Saudi Arabia now allows women to drive! ok..Im done ranting...bring on the cries of racism/bigotry/islamophobia and totally ignore the FACTS presented...
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Fa Dao wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:36 pm
Mantrik wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 pm I was told by a Slovakian that her country was keen to accept refugees........who were Catholics or prepared to convert first. Beggars belief.
Look up and see how many refugees have been accepted in the neighboring countries of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Iran, Kuwait, etc. Pretty damn close to zero. Saudi Arabia has over 3,000,000 tents with air conditioning and indoor plumbing that sit empty for most of the year. I, for one, am getting f*#^ing tired of all of the US bashing that happens in this site on a regular basis. Is the US perfect? Of course not! But look at some of the other countries that are on the UN human rights council...what a joke!! All of the above countries other than the US, imprison people for blasphemy, execute gays and apostates, require women to be covered from head to toe, although just in the past few days Saudi Arabia now allows women to drive! ok..Im done ranting...bring on the cries of racism/bigotry/islamophobia and totally ignore the FACTS presented...
Not sure when Slovakia became a US state, but I agree with the point that atrocities and inhumane actions occur across the globe and that UNHCR includes countries whose human rights record is poor.

But why should that rule out criticism of Trump as the representative of one of the most powerful nations on earth which has lately been increasingly committed to supporting increased mass murder of people at home and abroad as a matter of policy? There is no collateral damage any more.

If it helps his re-election I predict Trump would smirk his way through some public executions, preferably of Mexicans. He may even get the caring Melanoma to set up a school sniper competition to see who gets to fire the rifles. I'd like to think that was just my ludicrous imaginings....but.
Last edited by Mantrik on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Fa Dao wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:36 pmLook up and see how many refugees have been accepted in the neighboring countries of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Iran, Kuwait, etc. Pretty damn close to zero. Saudi Arabia has over 3,000,000 tents with air conditioning and indoor plumbing that sit empty for most of the year. I, for one, am getting f*#^ing tired of all of the US bashing that happens in this site on a regular basis. Is the US perfect? Of course not! But look at some of the other countries that are on the UN human rights council...what a joke!! All of the above countries other than the US, imprison people for blasphemy, execute gays and apostates, require women to be covered from head to toe, although just in the past few days Saudi Arabia now allows women to drive! ok..Im done ranting...bring on the cries of racism/bigotry/islamophobia and totally ignore the FACTS presented...
Ohhhh... now I am going to cry... How many bombs did the Saudi's drop on Syria exactly? Iraq? Afghanistan? How many refugees are in Lebanon? Jordan? Turkey? You know how many Afghan refugees are in Iran? You do realise that Syria does not border Saudi Arabia right? That the refugees would have to cross the american-post-apocalyptic wasteland known as Iraq? You do realise that Saudi Arabia is the U$'s biggest ally in the region? You do know that Afghans and Iranians are not Arabs, right?

I am not going to cry "islamophobe", I am going to cry "ignoramus" that doesn't even know how to look on a map and bases his rant on a complete lack of knowledge of an entire sub-continent and it's people.

Frak the U$ (and their bum-chums the Saud) and the shit storm they have created!

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Rinchen Samphel

Post by Rinchen Samphel »

Think of the massive amounts of trump supporters who have become liberal based off of recent forum interactions with non-tolerant liberals. Everytime i meet a trump supporter i just let them know that they are destroying the world, after a couple of minutes of me bashing them, they change and stomp their maga hat. Works everytime!

I mean, its not like we are just creating negative mentalities agaisnt each other while getting nothing done...

Most of the time conversations like this don't change minds, it instead only solidifies pre-existing views on both sides.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Rinchen Samphel wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm Think of the massive amounts of trump supporters who have become liberal based off of recent forum interactions with non-tolerant liberals. Everytime i meet a trump supporter i just let them know that they are destroying the world, after a couple of minutes of me bashing them, they change and stomp their maga hat. Works everytime!

I mean, its not like we are just creating negative mentalities agaisnt each other while getting nothing done...

Most of the time conversations like this don't change minds, it instead only solidifies pre-existing views on both sides.
Thinking that one can persuade alt-righters to change their point of view is as naive as alt-righters thinking they can persuade me to change my point of view with their nonsense.

It is the fence-sitters that need to be won over.

If you think that pointing out the brain dead obvious is not the way to do this, well...

Rinchen Samphel

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:29 pm
Rinchen Samphel wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm Think of the massive amounts of trump supporters who have become liberal based off of recent forum interactions with non-tolerant liberals. Everytime i meet a trump supporter i just let them know that they are destroying the world, after a couple of minutes of me bashing them, they change and stomp their maga hat. Works everytime!

Thinking that one can persuade alt-righters to change their point of view is as naive as alt-righters thinking they can persuade me to change my point of view with their nonsense.

It is the fence-sitters that need to be won over.

If you think that pointing out the brain dead obvious is not the way to do this, well...
If it was brain dead obvious we wouldnt have fence-sitters.

The rest, however, i agree with.

I personally think that feeling the need to choose a side, win others over, etc. is a dangerous samsaric game that doesnt end in the way we would love to fantasize it. But, honestly, who knows? I dont.

I am however, quite aware of what you do to help others, as i believe you are a psychologist and work with refugees right? Its things like that, relating to your own environment in a helpful and mindful way, that i believe will make this world of misery a little better. As for politics, etc. i think it shifts our gaze from why this world is actually messed up.

Society is the totality of individuals. You cant change society without changing the individual. I think most people know this, but dont practice it. How can we rid the world of anger when we allow ourselves excuses to hold it in our heart?

That got a little ranty there at the end. Lol
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

People have an amazing capacity to ignore (either purposefully or mistakenly) the brain dead obvious.

Not knowing that Iran, Afghanistan and Turkey are not Arabic nations is one blaring example.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

So Trump's sanctions are really working. As Harley Davidson moves manufacturing out of the USA, we have rumours of Mexico making trade deals to cut out US farm sales and buy from Argentina.

Edited after Snopes check on meme that a deal had already been done.

So when Donut Truck and Lady Melanoma visit the UK we should obviously give him the job of sorting out Brexit.
Last edited by Mantrik on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rinchen Samphel

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Thanks. Edited my post. The Harley story is true and I guess other US companies will need to sell via an intermediary to circumvent the trade wars.

egon

Post by egon »

Fa Dao wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:36 pm
Mantrik wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 pm
Grigoris wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 pm There are over 7000 refugees just on the island where I live (the island had a total population of 86,000). Hungary (total population of 9.9 million), with it's current ultra-right wing anti-migrant hysteria, only took in 4,691 in 2016 (at the peak of the refugee/migration wave).
According to the Pew Research Center's data on Syrian refugees, most are displaced in their own country, about 6 million. The next biggest group, about 5 million, are in neighboring Middle Eastern and North African countries. Europe, about 1 million. United States, about 33,000. The USA is the farthest away, so I'm sure that has something to do with it... but once these people get somewhere they can reach on their own, why aren't we helping more? As Greg said, the raw # isn't the way to judge impact, the % of population that the refugees represent is the real way to look at it. I mean really, Germany has a half-million of these folks living there!!! We can't do more to help?

Fa Dao, I took your advice and looked it up. Have fun pointing fingers at empty tents in Saudi Arabia. Maybe we should help instead.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

argument.png
argument.png (444.8 KiB) Viewed 3241 times

Rick

Post by Rick »

+1 Kind of nails it. :good: :cheers:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Return to “Lounge”