Sarlo's Guru Rating Service

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Aemilius

Sarlo's Guru Rating Service

Post by Aemilius »

svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Simon E.

Re: Sarlo's Guru Rating Service

Post by Simon E. »

Its perhaps useful to know that Sarlo is, in fact, Swami Prem Sarlo a veteran follower of Rajneesh.
His view of any teacher should be seen in the light of his history.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

This may be even less reliable than the tabloids in the checkout line at the market.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

You know it is wrong, when Osho and Krishnamurti get a top rating.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:02 am You know it is wrong, when Osho and Krishnamurti get a top rating.
Aye.

Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Interesting to browse but he sure could use some basic web formatting skills, the site looks like all websites used to in 1996.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Wayfarer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:24 pm Interesting to browse but he sure could use some basic web formatting skills, the site looks like all websites used to in 1996.
Classic Geocities / Angelfire look.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

I think Wayfarer is wrong, the website is very cool. But in all honesty these many traditions, although i respect them all, have very little to do with each other and ARE NOT but many manifestations of the same Path, they are DIFFERENT PATHS.

So comparing gurus is comparing apples to oranges.

Rather, I find it necessary to explore which works the best for me (sorry about that) Yoga, Zen, Tibetan, Pure Land, Taoism, Sufism, Gnostic, etc. etc. then narrow these down until I arrive at a practice which becomes my core practice. Then base my affiliations (teacher/sangha) around that, then add a few things, vegetarian, QiGong, etc.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

One may ask: What are the criteria for rating the teachers?

To which the reply would be: whatever pleases the blog owner (or fulfills his agenda).

Especially given:
Where I'm Coming From
First off, and most important i suppose, my religious history. I was raised as rather an agnostic Canadian, with but one perfunctory effort on the part of my parents, also agnostic, to make me have a taste of the local church. Boring! But okay, that out of the way. My early forays into "alternative" paths consisted of trips to India, a "back-to-the-land" phase, lots of drugs though no addictive ones (save alcohol and cigarettes, now finished), dabbles with Paramahansa Yogananda and a few others and finally (seeing the light?) a long-term (since 1978) relationship with a master, Osho.
In which case: WhyTF should I care?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Don't take it too seriously. There is a lot of work behind it, I am sure. The sheer number of the gurus is stunning. Hundreds of them, whom I have never heard of, or maybe even close to one thousand. There is a message in their number, and in the attitude and treatment of them.
You could never do that, could You say something nice, or something that is even approaching some kind of objectivity, about Your favourite unpleasant objects?
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aemilius wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am Don't take it too seriously. There is a lot of work behind it, I am sure. The sheer number of the gurus is stunning. Hundreds of them, whom I have never heard of, or maybe even close to one thousand. There is a message in their number, and in the attitude and treatment of them.
You could never do that, could You say something nice, or something that is even approaching some kind of objectivity, about Your favourite unpleasant objects?
The blog writer needs to be objective about his favorite pleasing objects. For me it is easier to be objective about things I do not have a positive regard for than it is for objects that induce a pleasant feeling.

Seems that the blog writer has the same problem.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Aemilius wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am Don't take it too seriously. There is a lot of work behind it, I am sure. The sheer number of the gurus is stunning. Hundreds of them, whom I have never heard of, or maybe even close to one thousand. There is a message in their number, and in the attitude and treatment of them.
How about the fact that if you are a 25 year old first becoming interested in all this, you could well be sent on a wild goose chase that could last at least a lifetime?

It happens.

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 am
How about the fact that if you are a 25 year old first becoming interested in all this, you could well be sent on a wild goose chase that could last at least a lifetime?

It happens.
Worse than that can happen. Practicing spiritually in a very dedicated way with no idea what your doing can have horrible results... Especially with meditation, and with certain Vajrayana methods being openly available to practice, god forbid drugs.. people can do themselves, and others alot of harm.

You know Charles Manson pretended to be a guru of sorts.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Norwegian wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:26 pm
Wayfarer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:24 pm Interesting to browse but he sure could use some basic web formatting skills, the site looks like all websites used to in 1996.
Classic Geocities / Angelfire look.
I remember finding and having a laugh at Sarlo's guru rating site in the late 1990s. It's somewhat refreshing to see that it persists.

Return to “Lounge”