Big messages to deplorables ???

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Simon E.

Re: Big messages to deplorables ???

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Aye. The majority here have seen through him. Even most of the Right.
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:37 pm

I got a big kick out of reading earlier this week that European leaders were treating Trump like a way-out-of-his-depth petulant spoiled little boy.

Hey, Caligula had Incitatus, we have Trump. (Personally, I'd be happier if a good strong horse were leading the country.)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Possibly of interest to those following this thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 44ab0894e8

I am afraid for my children that this is more correct than not.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Ah yes, this editorial has the final quote I was searching for, thanks for finding it for me:

"Any student of history knows that it is moments like this summit that set in motion chains of events that are difficult to stop. The democratic alliance that has been the bedrock of the American-led liberal world order is unraveling. At some point, and probably sooner than we expect, the global peace that that alliance and that order undergirded will unravel, too. Despite our human desire to hope for the best, things will not be okay. The world crisis is upon us."

Is this alarmist ... or soberly realistic? Having a History IQ of approximately negative 20 (like most of my fellow USAers) I have no clear clue. But it does seem that Trump is determined to crush the prevailing western values and alliances. To what end ... ? Honestly, I'm not sure he has an end in mind, just joie de tearing down whatever anyone else (except, perhaps, Putin and other autocrats) built up.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Rick wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:54 pm
Ah yes, this editorial has the final quote I was searching for, thanks for finding it for me:

"Any student of history knows that it is moments like this summit that set in motion chains of events that are difficult to stop. The democratic alliance that has been the bedrock of the American-led liberal world order is unraveling. At some point, and probably sooner than we expect, the global peace that that alliance and that order undergirded will unravel, too. Despite our human desire to hope for the best, things will not be okay. The world crisis is upon us."

Is this alarmist ... or soberly realistic?
Realistic.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Rick wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Is this alarmist ... or soberly realistic? Having a History IQ of approximately negative 20 (like most of my fellow USAers) I have no clear clue. But it does seem that Trump is determined to crush the prevailing western values and alliances. To what end ... ? Honestly, I'm not sure he has an end in mind, just joie de tearing down whatever anyone else (except, perhaps, Putin and other autocrats) built up.
The Nuremberg trials did not eradicate the sentiments that propelled the Nazis. The people who helped put Hitler in power just faded into the populace and kept their mouths shut for a few decades. And Europe has had its nationalists and nativists all along - its just that after 2 world wars, those kinds of incendiary notions were not welcome in the public forum for a long time. These are people Americans have long been wary of because of their tendency to break out in fights like rabid dogs.

Now Trump is going around declaring that America is abdicating its role as bulwark against despotism and doing everything he can to bring that crap to the US. The things he is saying in Europe - I don't know if he fully understands his impact - but he is encouraging and emboldening the Brown Shirts across Europe. That is a powder keg and its not going to take much to set it off.

Understand this - Trump is not culturally Anglo, he's descended from Continentals. He has not been assimilated into the Anglo values. For all the faults in Anglo culture, one of their great gifts to the world have been their ideas about government.
Entered a stupa compound

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Some really great protests in the UK at the visit of SCROTUS:

http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:53 pm
Trump is not culturally Anglo, he's descended from Continentals.
And here I thought he descended from this dude:

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:45 pm

Amazing that was painted in the 15th-16th c.

Seriously, though, the stories about Trumps father and his more distant ancestors are gross.
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 pm

I don't know them, I'm doing my best to avoid all contact with Trumpiana.

But for my/our edification, what are some ditties about Trump's family tree that would help me contextualize him, understand his thoughts/actions?

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Rick wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 pm
I don't know them, I'm doing my best to avoid all contact with Trumpiana.

But for my/our edification, what are some ditties about Trump's family tree that would help me contextualize him, understand his thoughts/actions?
Start with his father getting arrested at a Klan rally.
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:55 pm

A vetted trustworthy "proven-true" fact? Or more of a "might have happened" ... ?

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:45 pm
Amazing that was painted in the 15th-16th c.

Seriously, though, the stories about Trumps father and his more distant ancestors are gross.
So are the stories about his 'canned hunt' son.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Rick wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:55 pm
A vetted trustworthy "proven-true" fact? Or more of a "might have happened" ... ?
He was arrested at a Klan rally. That is true. Was he attending or just caught up in the melee? Inconclusive.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donal ... -kkk-1927/
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Rick

Post by Rick » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:11 am

Thanks for the Snope’ing.

Got more (vetted) Trump family tree goodies to share? Or do I have to wait for the HBO series,

Trumped!
An American Comitragedy:
The Rise and Fall of Donald J. Trump

?

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:55 am

Now that indictments have come out for Russian military officers, what are the chances that the next indictments will involve Trump himself, and he will just stay in Russia with Putin since they get along so well? Or, what are the chances that it goes real bad, and having lost all our allies, Trump and Putin create the USSA? The Republicans seem in lockstep behind the leader.

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:05 am

Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:55 am
Now that indictments have come out for Russian military officers, what are the chances that the next indictments will involve Trump himself, and he will just stay in Russia with Putin since they get along so well? Or, what are the chances that it goes real bad, and having lost all our allies, Trump and Putin create the USSA? The Republicans seem in lockstep behind the leader.

DS
None. Trump can't be indicted. At least that's the way the new Supreme Court will go when Kavanaugh is confirmed.
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:07 am

Rick wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:11 am

The... Fall of Donald J. Trump
Yes. Please.
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Rick

Post by Rick » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:17 pm

In psychonational terms ... America's shadow is coming to light under Donnie. This could be a good thing, there is a huge amount of creative energy in the shadow. Destructive too. Getting in touch with one's shadow is never easy, so we shouldn't expect that. And it's dangerous, for obvious reasons. What we need is a Secretary of Therapy in the cabinet, my vote is for Mooji, he'll bliss everyone into being best friends. :twothumbsup:

Secretary of (Blissful) Therapy :: Mooji

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Rick wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:17 pm
In psychonational terms ... America's shadow is coming to light under Donnie. This could be a good thing, there is a huge amount of creative energy in the shadow. Destructive too. Getting in touch with one's shadow is never easy, so we shouldn't expect that. And it's dangerous, for obvious reasons. What we need is a Secretary of Therapy in the cabinet, my vote is for Mooji, he'll bliss everyone into being best friends. :twothumbsup:

Secretary of (Blissful) Therapy :: Mooji
Are you familiar with how Osho was received in Oregon?

Can't imagine the average American being receptive to a brown dude talking about peace.
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Return to “Lounge”