Full Moon

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Simon E.

Re: Full Moon

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:17 pm

The same here in England Ayu. No rain for weeks. And none forecast. Even Scotland is dry.
Gone fishin' :smile:

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:27 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:17 pm
The same here in England Ayu. No rain for weeks. And none forecast. Even Scotland is dry.
We may get a dribble on Sunday evening. Originally thunderstorms were forecast. Has to break sometime!
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:30 pm

I will only start to get concerned if somebody says that it is not raining in Bergen, Norway.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:03 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:27 pm
Simon E. wrote:
We may get a dribble on Sunday evening. Originally thunderstorms were forecast. Has to break sometime!
A dribble would be welcome. But preferably enough to mean I don't need to keep going out with the watering can!

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:03 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Simon E. wrote:
A dribble would be welcome. But preferably enough to mean I don't need to keep going out with the watering can!
Some years ago I remember a pro gardener advising us to buy drought-tolerant plants. But then we also get torrentail rain and floods and snow storms with -10 degrees or less. That seems to cut down the choice to ............... grass.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:19 pm
Simon E. wrote:
Mantrik wrote:

Some years ago I remember a pro gardener advising us to buy drought-tolerant plants. But then we also get torrentail rain and floods and snow storms with -10 degrees or less. That seems to cut down the choice to ............... grass.
Thyme, sage, rosemary, etc... Various types of plants that grow from tubers that are not effected by above ground temperatures. Various seasonal plants that drop seeds before winter. There are plenty of choices.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:28 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:24 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Simon E. wrote:

Thyme, sage, rosemary, etc... Various types of plants that grow from tubers that are not effected by above ground temperatures. Various seasonal plants that drop seeds before winter. The are plenty of choices.
Yes, I was being flippant about grass. I got rid of all my grass long ago. And yes, My whole garden is now pretty robust. And we have a covere veranda which protects geraniums etc. in winter. :)

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:28 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:24 pm
Mantrik wrote:

Thyme, sage, rosemary, etc... Various types of plants that grow from tubers that are not effected by above ground temperatures. Various seasonal plants that drop seeds before winter. The are plenty of choices.
Yes, I was being flippant about grass. I got rid of all my grass long ago. And yes, My whole garden is now pretty robust. And we have a covere veranda which protects geraniums etc. in winter. :)
I love gardens! Mine is still a project in development phase.

Oh yeah: junipers and other conifers don't mind drought, rain and snow.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:40 pm

Our mints, sage, hyssop, lavender,thyme, little olive tree, bay tree, are all fine..they are loving it.
But the perennials, sweet peas, roses etc are needing a lot of water.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Olive and bay trees! Of course. How could I forget those! They can handle almost any conditions.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:44 pm
Olive and bay trees! Of course. How could I forget those! They can handle almost any conditions.
Basically, due to climate change (presumably), all the plants of Mediterranean origin in our garden are flourishing and everything else is needing TLC.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Rosemary and thyme freezes to death every very cold winter here. They cannot stand temeratures lower than -4°C.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Where we are in the Thames Valley the temperature very rarely drops to those lows.
The river itself keeps the ambient temperature up for several hundred metres each side.
By the Thames in Chelsea London they are able to maintain tropical plants outside of greenhouses.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Ayu wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:07 pm
Rosemary and thyme freezes to death every very cold winter here. They cannot stand temeratures lower than -4°C.
Really? It freezes here too, but the Rosemary and Thyme survives. Maybe because the freeze does not last so long?

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:30 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:11 pm
Ayu wrote:
Really? It freezes here too, but the Rosemary and Thyme survives. Maybe because the freeze does not last so long?
Ours survived well below -10 with the Beast from the East last winter and we're atop a hill. Maybe it is down to the variety.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:15 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:30 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:11 pm
Ayu wrote:
Ours survived well below -10 with the Beast from the East last winter and we're atop a hill. Maybe it is down to the variety.
Most probably. It surprises me. I never saw a rosemary plant last for longer than three years here. Our thyme became very big, but ceased away after five years.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Return to “Lounge”