Why do Republicans often only want to see life in black and white?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
bcol01

Why do Republicans often only want to see life in black and white?

Post by bcol01 »

Why do they ignore grey areas?
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
Virgo

Re: Why do Republicans often only want to see life in black and white?

Post by Virgo »

bcol01 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:40 pm Why do they ignore grey areas?
They have larger amygdalas.

Virgo
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kevin...
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Somehow I don't think that all Republicans only see things in black and white. Historically there have been Republican politicians that were actually largely positive and constructive for American society.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I feel like these days many self-described liberals have adopted the same attitudes, incapability of even considering the position of the other side, inability to consider multiple causes to problem, jumping immediately to severe conclusions about individuals based on their own biases etc.

While I think in particular the American Right at one time had a monopoly on the kind of idiotic and dangerous behavior that today defines the Republican party, I feel like the Democrats, and their mainstream (and we could debate what that means) liberal base are doing a bang up job of catching up.

The only evidence I have is anecdotal, but I have had a harder time talking to supposedly liberal people about social issues in the last 10 years or so in particular, it is very similar to talking to my Republican friends who are incapable of discussion, the same kind of knee-jerk reactions, inability to see a wider context etc. Even if I agree with them incidentally more often than the Republicans, the same sort of behavior is noticeable.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Lounge”