Time away

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Vasana

Time away

Post by Vasana »

Just a quick note to say I'll be gone for a while. I'm returning to Uni later in the year which has prompted me to learn more about the cognitive science of our attention spans and how to increase the capacity to focus etc

Part of that involves restricting or removing regular sources of distraction by identifying whether or not the positives actually outweigh the negatives in relation to your short and long term goals.

Deep work by Cal Newport is a great book on this which I recommend. Quotes and excerpts online.

I realize I could have just stopped visiting the forum but being the ritual beings that we are, I thought I'd make a post about it so I'm less tempted to browse the busy market place of DharmaWheel for some time!

I'll be back at some point next year I'm sure. Wishing you all swift progress and inspirations in your practice!
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Time away

Post by Wayfarer »

:hi: Bye for now Vasana. Your advice is always very good.

:namaste:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Rick

Re: Time away

Post by Rick »

I second that, I always read Vasana postings happily. (Wayfarer postings too!)

Have a good break ... we'll still be here when you return haggling over the ultimate immanent empty not-real/not-unreal nature of "reality."

:cheers:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Return to “Lounge”