Quitting smoking

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
shanyin

Re: Quitting smoking

Post by shanyin » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:00 am

I wouldn't mind smoking weed instead of ciggarettes. Weed makes me feel good, ciggarettes make me feel bad. I don't like the high of ciggarettes.

Why should I care to accomplish something in with my life? I don't want kids, I don't respect other people because I never get any respect, everytime I try to change my life I end up realizing that there's nothing I can do about it. For example if I wanted to move to another country because I don't want to live in a country that would put me in solitary confinement in a mental insitution, I can't because I can't get a visa.

If I try to get a job, I can't because I didn't have enough money for an education. And I got bad grades all my life and would probably fail big time if I went to school.

I could try maybe doing volunteer work in another country, but how? Wouldn't I need money to support myself? The only thing I can think of to help me is anti depressants, but that's a temporary fix and I'd rather not because of the damage it could do to my body.

Maybe I should just be doing volunteer work or something.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:40 am

It looks to me like you're already in a tough spot and weed would make life harder. Avoid stress and enjoy having a good memory! :toilet:

I think your idea about community involvement is good. This will give your life structure and meaning. You will cover the 3 p's with this: Purpose, Passion and Pleasure. :twothumbsup:

You will also earn your much sought after respect this way. It is not given purely on the basis of existence. Default respect for life seems more idealistic. :pig:

Ignorant_Fool

Post by Ignorant_Fool » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:54 pm

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Just had to get this off my chest ...

It's been 7 days, 3 hours and 19 minutes since I last had a cigarette. I decided to finally quit the day before I was due to be warded for a medical procedure.

This is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I had my first cigarette when I was 14. It's been a constant companion - a big part of my "identity" for 21 years. I'm still not quite sure why I decided to quit but here I am, a week into it suffering through some crazy withdrawals. It's going to be one hell of a ride ... :?

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:30 pm

I quit around four years years ago after alternating between smoking a lot for a few months and quitting several times. I think the main difficulty is that one is used to smoking, holding a cigarette, etc., while there is no upside as it is obvious that smoking is terrible, it makes you feel worse in general, and also you have to bother with going out to buy cigarettes etc. So if you have something much better to be doing at all times, like being mindful and/or other forms of practice that you can apply at all times during the day, it becomes much easier to quit.

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:42 am

I smoked for years and found quitting difficult. Here's what I did:

First of all, I wanted to quit because it was bad for me. Therefore, while I was unable to quit in the short term, I decided to switch to e-cigs because they are less harmful than analog cigarettes. This is true, they are 500x less harmful.

Then I tapered down my nicotine concentrations from 12mg/ml to 6mg/ml to 3mg/ml to 1.5mg/ml to 0mg/ml and then quit the habit altogether.

Took me a long time but I have to say I have never felt better than when I picked up my vape to quit quitting again and decided instead to throw it in the trash. Of course, when I did that I had already been off nicotine for months and just had the oral fixation left.

Good luck! If you need some motivation, maybe check out dudjom on smoking...

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:26 am

I was coming down with bronchitis for three months in a row,each time going to
hospital and each time they gave me antibiotics.
On the last month they took a chest xray and found 2 centimeter sized tumors.
I started taking ashwaghanda daily and cut down on the smokes.A short time later
I stopped. I never acted on the tumors except for the ashwaganda.
4 years later i had a chest xray and i was clean.I never had bronchitis again.

Years before i had asked Garchen Rinpoche how i could stop smoking and
he said "just stop".
I didn't but after that meeting with him they started to taste horrible and
as time went on they just tasted worse.
When i did stop it was easy.

Return to “Lounge”