Ignorance of Ignorance

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Ignorance of Ignorance

Post by Wayfarer »

MattH wrote:I would say that ignorance for Buddhism is ignorance of our lived experience, what our mind is, and how the mind works.
And I would say that you’re exactly correct.

I posted a CloserToTruth interview with Andrei Linde just the other week, in a discussion about qm. But those discussions always end with wheel-spinning and the obstinate refusal of materialists to draw the inevitable conclusion about the non-substantiality of matter. They would rather take refuge [irony intended] in the ‘many worlds of Hugh Everett III’. It is astounding just how devious materialism can become in defending its perimeter. That’s what caused me to throw in the towel over there.

Although something else which has come up for me, is the profound nature of early Platonist Christian philosophy. I have adopted Huston Smith’s idea of there being a forgotten wisdom - something of great importance was found, and then lost again, in Western culture. The problem is, when you try and discuss it, the issues are of such great depth and there are so many opinions about it, that discussion becomes pointless. But I am going to continue to read and study.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
muni

Post by muni »

Ignorance of ignorance, depends how it is meant, could be the idea there is really ignorance existing and at the other side there is really wisdom existing, as two opponents on themselves.

I was once asked to make a brief construction of some Western Philosophers, because time was short for an exam.That was not easy for me, but in the midst of struggle, Spinoza took my attention:

"Only in relation to our imagination can things be called beautiful or ugly, ordered or confused."

Ignorance-confusion is temporary description but cannot remain without a believer of its existence. Without there being a believer it has never been, it cannot be on itself or by itself.

In this way samsara-nirvana not different.
muni

Post by muni »

I would say that ignorance for Buddhism is ignorance of our lived experience, what our mind is, and how the mind works.
Thanks Matt.

Spinoza again: "I have not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

This understanding through looking within, understanding of the working of mind.

Return to “Lounge”