Shrine building resources.

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Nemo

Shrine building resources.

Post by Nemo »

I want to spend my dotage building shrines for people. Buddhism has almost enough translators but insufficient builders. Someone needs to build the shelves to store all those holy works, reinforced cement bases for the stupas and hermitages for the yogis. Does anyone have resources on the Feng Shui and building parameters of holy buildings? I think I should tend more towards engineering than simply science.
Virgo

Re: Shrine building resources.

Post by Virgo »

Nemo wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:15 pm I want to spend my dotage building shrines for people. Buddhism has almost enough translators but insufficient builders. Someone needs to build the shelves to store all those holy works, reinforced cement bases for the stupas and hermitages for the yogis. Does anyone have resources on the Feng Shui and building parameters of holy buildings? I think I should tend more towards engineering than simply science.
This is a great resource:

https://fpmt.org/education/practice/hol ... resources/

Kevin...
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

There are certain monastics and lamas who specialize in building and crafting things. Drupon Thinley Nyingpo Rinpoche in Drikung lineage builds stupas, for instance, and helped give us specifications on how to freshen up one we rediscovered in NorFlor. Then he reconsecrated it for us.

Sascha from Russia has crafted tons of stuff for Garchen Rinpoche and other Drikungpas over the years, too, including collapsible thrones and puja tables. Are you on Facebook? If so, PM me. I could put you in touch with him and you could pick his brain. My friend Ingrid from Brazil also has a lama who builds shrines ranging from decently simple to elaborate ones for temples. I'm sure she'd be willing to ask him about the technical details as well.

Actually, I've had the aspiration to have a legit, traditional shrine for some years now. If you began fabricating them I'd be interested in possibly commissioning one sometime in the near future when I have the funds to do so :)

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

If you look into the texts they often describe the correct dimensions and measurements of the altars.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:50 am If you look into the texts they often describe the correct dimensions and measurements of the altars.
Do you have any sources on this? I am very interested.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?

Return to “Lounge”