An auspicious day at Garchen Buddhist Institute

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
anjali
Global Moderator

An auspicious day at Garchen Buddhist Institute

Post by anjali » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:18 pm

Was in Los Angeles a couple of days ago and decided to drive over to see Garchen Buddhist Institute today. By sheer coincidence I was there when the full moon eclipse was happening. A monk and some of the residents assembled at that time to make a smoke offering and recite the Prayer of Kungtuzanpo.
Ah Ho!
Hereafter, whenever a very powerful yogin
With his or her Awareness radiant and free from delusion
Recites this very powerful prayer, then all who hear it
Will achieve enlightenment within three lifetimes.

During a solar or lunar eclipse, during an earthquake or when the earth rumbles,
At the solstices or the new year, you should visualize Kuntuzangpo.
And if you pray loudly so all can hear,
Then beings of the three realms will be gradually liberated from suffering,
Through the prayer of the yogin and will finally achieve enlightenment.
It also happens to be Guru Purnima Day for 2018, an Indian special day dedicated to one's guru. Lama chenno!

:anjali:

Dharma Wheel Terms of Service and Reporting Procedures.
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. –-Seneca

Palzang Jangchub

Re: An auspicious day at Garchen Buddhist Institute

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:26 pm

The monk was probably Khenpo Tenzin, Garchen Institute's resident lama. He's studying English and is the go-to guy for when Rinpoche is away due to his teaching itinerary and/or personal retreat.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

anjali
Global Moderator

Post by anjali » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:31 pm

Palzang Jangchub wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:26 pm
The monk was probably Khenpo Tenzin, Garchen Institute's resident lama. He's studying English and is the go-to guy for when Rinpoche is away due to his teaching itinerary and/or personal retreat.
Yes, that was the monk. He showed me around the grounds, as it was my first visit there. A gentle and lovely person.

Although I didn't see any retreatants, there were about a dozen still on their one month Chakrasamvara retreat.

The Institute is a special place, and I'm glad I was able to go visit and get the blessings.

Dharma Wheel Terms of Service and Reporting Procedures.
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. –-Seneca

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Khenpo-la is a very kind fellow. I was there for the 1st time last year for the 4th annual Drikung Mönlam (800th Parinirvana of Lord Jigten Sumgön).

Did he give you the pinwheel weather vane transmission, too? Of course when i was there everyone was commuting into Prescott daily to Yavapai College, and people were simply residing at the center.

My buddy and i missed our flight out, so we got to spend an additional week at GBI. We got to explore a bit on our own and found out the lay of the land. The retreat huts are off to themselves, spread out enough from one another to be allow for each person to do their own personal practice without being disturbed by others, and yet close enough to each other that they can assemble in the group temple as appropriate for group practices like tsok or Chöd. If you come out of the main temple, to your left there is a path that leads away into a few dirt trails and some trees. Going that direction you start to see signs asking you to be silent or as quiet as possible so as not to disturb their meditation and other practices. Be vewwy vewwy quiet... We're appwoaching de retweatants!

The old staff house that I hung out with Bryan, Dan, Maria, Sascha, and a few others in has since been converted into the new group ngöndro retreat house, and based on some other emails there are more changes schedule in the near future, including a bigger bookstore and more baths/showers. I'm looking forward to seeing if they'll take me on as staff. Time will tell!

:reading:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Return to “Lounge”