Can a Stream Enterer believe in silly things?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
WeiHan

Re: Can a Stream Enterer believe in silly things?

Post by WeiHan »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:58 pm

No, he is saying they do not gave any eyes at all.
I understand. I meant when he "knew" that ants don't appear to have good sight,by judging from their behavior, he just concluded that ants have no eyes. So, it appears to me that he is someone who does pay attention, and observe with care.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

What if something is scientifically proven? It still doesn't matter and it doesn't matter if a master believes the earth is flat with only four continents and a tall mountain at the center?
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

Tenma wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:47 am What if something is scientifically proven? It still doesn't matter and it doesn't matter if a master believes the earth is flat with only four continents and a tall mountain at the center?
My view is that past masters are often using observable facts or common beliefs at their time to make Dharma points. It don't make sense for them to invent for example, Quantum mechanics first before they use these to explain Dharma. As for masters still believing facts that are scientifically proven wrong..we have to look at the reasons for their beliefs. The downside is that it makes Dharma more difficult to explain and alienates people.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Tenma wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:47 am What if something is scientifically proven? It still doesn't matter and it doesn't matter if a master believes the earth is flat with only four continents and a tall mountain at the center?
These ?''s have been gone over ad nauseam .Check the search and see.
passel

Post by passel »

If we know all the answers why aren’t we enlightened already
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

passel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:00 am If we know all the answers why aren’t we enlightened already
We need to get used to knowing it.

Return to “Lounge”