The Worship of Donald Trump

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6111
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Queequeg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 pm

And unmentionable things with cigars and courtesans.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

User avatar
Coëmgenu
Posts: 1700
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: Whitby, Ontario

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Coëmgenu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:49 pm

The Cicada wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:53 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:44 pm
Superman, Santa Claus and Indra were waiting for the bus.

Who was waiting for the bus?

Nobody. There is no Superman. No Santa Claus. No Indra.

:shrug:
No, Queequeg, no Coëmgenu, no Cicada, no Donald Trump. Thinking that Trump is an issue is only due to ontological misapprehensions. What one calls "Trump" is only a reflection of one's own mind.

~~(( :meditate: ))~~
I noticed no one was eager to say David Beckham didn't exist.

Coincidence.... I think not.

The truth is out there.
नस्वातो नापिपरतो नद्वाभ्यां नाप्यहेतुतः उत्पन्ना जातु विद्यन्ते भावाः क्वचन केचन
There absolutely are no things, nowhere and none, that arise anew, neither out of themselves, nor out of non-self, nor out of both, nor at random.
सर्वं तथ्यं न वा तथ्यं तथ्यं चातथ्यम् एव च नैवातथ्यं नैव तथ्यम् एतद् बुद्धानुशासनम्
All is so, or all is not so, both so and not so, neither so nor not so. This is the Buddha's teaching.

一切實非實亦實亦非實
非實非非實是名諸佛法

User avatar
Coëmgenu
Posts: 1700
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: Whitby, Ontario

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Coëmgenu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:43 pm
The Cicada wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:32 pm
mantra
I got ya.

OM MAHA VAJRA TROLL HO HUM
You forgot the seed syllables, PHI, PHAI, PHO, & PHUṀ.
नस्वातो नापिपरतो नद्वाभ्यां नाप्यहेतुतः उत्पन्ना जातु विद्यन्ते भावाः क्वचन केचन
There absolutely are no things, nowhere and none, that arise anew, neither out of themselves, nor out of non-self, nor out of both, nor at random.
सर्वं तथ्यं न वा तथ्यं तथ्यं चातथ्यम् एव च नैवातथ्यं नैव तथ्यम् एतद् बुद्धानुशासनम्
All is so, or all is not so, both so and not so, neither so nor not so. This is the Buddha's teaching.

一切實非實亦實亦非實
非實非非實是名諸佛法

User avatar
The Cicada
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by The Cicada » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:23 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:49 pm
The Cicada wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:53 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:44 pm
Superman, Santa Claus and Indra were waiting for the bus.

Who was waiting for the bus?

Nobody. There is no Superman. No Santa Claus. No Indra.

:shrug:
No, Queequeg, no Coëmgenu, no Cicada, no Donald Trump. Thinking that Trump is an issue is only due to ontological misapprehensions. What one calls "Trump" is only a reflection of one's own mind.

~~(( :meditate: ))~~
I noticed no one was eager to say David Beckham didn't exist.

Coincidence.... I think not.

The truth is out there.
Such revelations are not for your prying eyes, pissant...

User avatar
Wayfarer
Global Moderator
Posts: 4064
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 pm

there was a phenomenon in New Guinea for decades called 'cargo cults'.
Wikipedia wrote:A cargo cult is a belief system found in developing cultures in which adherents practice rituals which are aimed at bringing modern goods and technological culture. These cults were first described in Melanesia the colonial period. The name derives from the belief which began among Melanesians in the late 19th and early 20th century that various ritualistic acts such as the building of an airplane runway will result in the appearance of material wealth, particularly highly desirable Western goods (i.e., "cargo"), via Western airplanes.
Here, Trump is being equated with modern wealth and power and the ability to bestow prosperity, so, a god or deity representing material prosperity, wealth and power.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

User avatar
The Cicada
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by The Cicada » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:06 am

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 pm
And unmentionable things with cigars and courtesans.
Image

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6111
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Queequeg » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:43 am

That gif is awesome.
Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:53 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:43 pm
The Cicada wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:32 pm
mantra
I got ya.

OM MAHA VAJRA TROLL HO HUM
You forgot the seed syllables, PHI, PHAI, PHO, & PHUṀ.
Good call. The twelve syllable mantra

OM MAHA PHI PHAI PHO PHUM VAJRA TROLL HO HUM

Particularly efficacious for indigestion and herpes.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6111
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Queequeg » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:51 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 pm
there was a phenomenon in New Guinea for decades called 'cargo cults'.
Wikipedia wrote:A cargo cult is a belief system found in developing cultures in which adherents practice rituals which are aimed at bringing modern goods and technological culture. These cults were first described in Melanesia the colonial period. The name derives from the belief which began among Melanesians in the late 19th and early 20th century that various ritualistic acts such as the building of an airplane runway will result in the appearance of material wealth, particularly highly desirable Western goods (i.e., "cargo"), via Western airplanes.
Here, Trump is being equated with modern wealth and power and the ability to bestow prosperity, so, a god or deity representing material prosperity, wealth and power.
Well, can't say the causality is exactly wrong... I suppose higher beings might see our sophisticated Buddhist rituals the same way?
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

User avatar
Wayfarer
Global Moderator
Posts: 4064
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:37 am

that leads into the whole subject of religion as ritual magic which I think is clearly connected with the image in the OP. And that in turn can be related to ideas like ‘prosperity gospel’ where religious ritual is seen to be a form of magic aimed at generating prosperity. I’m sure that occurs in Buddhist cultures also but presumably if the intention is only concerned with liberation then it doesn’t pursue such goals.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

User avatar
The Cicada
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by The Cicada » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:20 am

Queequeg wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:43 am
That gif is awesome.
Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:53 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:43 pm


I got ya.

OM MAHA VAJRA TROLL HO HUM
You forgot the seed syllables, PHI, PHAI, PHO, & PHUṀ.
Good call. The twelve syllable mantra

OM MAHA PHI PHAI PHO PHUM VAJRA TROLL HO HUM

Particularly efficacious for indigestion and herpes.
:rolling: You slay me. Seems like it would be some cryptic literary reference, knowing you, (Of Mice And Men?) but that rot thar is golden.
Queequeg wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:51 am
Well, can't say the causality is exactly wrong... I suppose higher beings might see our sophisticated Buddhist rituals the same way?
I imagine higher beings would experience something akin to amusement ranging to annoyance in so much as looking at us—more so dealing with us and even more so communicating with us. Likely there would even be some malevolent bug-squishers here and there. And while you might suppose that higher order beings would look down on our relatively confused practices, likely these might be more pleasant to behold for them than many of our other activities.

When it comes to higher beings, I do like those Jataka tales where the Bodhisattva puts various supernatural beings to task. And don't forget that the Buddha was the teacher of many. At the very least, they were fond of him—and many feared him.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6111
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Queequeg » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:34 am

The causal connection between ritual and liberation can be a dicey subject.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

User avatar
The Cicada
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by The Cicada » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:37 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 pm
Here, Trump is being equated with modern wealth and power and the ability to bestow prosperity, so, a god or deity representing material prosperity, wealth and power.
He speaks tariffs into existence and unites war-torn nations. He lives in a great white palace and can fly throughout the world. He can screenshot your device and track you via satellite. He speaks to the masses through a tweeting blue bird. He has the power to increase the amount of income tax returns.

Guy's a 33rd degree Mason possessed by some great Deva, obviously.

User avatar
anjali
Global Moderator
Posts: 1524
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by anjali » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:42 am

The Cicada wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:37 am
He speaks tariffs into existence and unites war-torn nations. He lives in a great white palace and can fly throughout the world. He can screenshot your device and track you via satellite. He speaks to the masses through a tweeting blue bird. He has the power to increase the amount of income tax returns.

Guy's a 33rd degree Mason possessed by some great Deva, obviously.
Nice deadpan sense of humor. :lol:
Image

Dharma Wheel Terms of Service and Reporting Procedures.
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. –-Seneca

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6111
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Queequeg » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:57 am

If only he was kidding.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

User avatar
The Cicada
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by The Cicada » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:02 am

Queequeg wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:57 am
If only he was kidding.
He wasn't. He really increased our income tax returns!

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6111
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Queequeg » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:10 am

The Cicada wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:20 am
Of Mice And Men?
We're gonna raise rabbits? :twothumbsup:
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

User avatar
The Cicada
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by The Cicada » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:18 am

Queequeg wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:10 am
The Cicada wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:20 am
Of Mice And Men?
We're gonna raise rabbits? :twothumbsup:
Image

What did I tell you?...

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6111
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Queequeg » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:23 am

The Cicada wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:02 am
Queequeg wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:57 am
If only he was kidding.
He wasn't. He really increased our income tax returns!
We'll see. I don't think the 99% gets any benefit. The 1% love this. we all get the tab.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

User avatar
The Cicada
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by The Cicada » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:35 am

Queequeg wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:10 am
The Cicada wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:20 am
Of Mice And Men?
We're gonna raise rabbits? :twothumbsup:
Better than the Count of Monte Cristo?
Queequeg wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:23 am
The Cicada wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:02 am
Queequeg wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:57 am
If only he was kidding.
He wasn't. He really increased our income tax returns!
We'll see. I don't think the 99% gets any benefit. The 1% love this. we all get the tab.
Time will tell.

User avatar
Coëmgenu
Posts: 1700
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: Whitby, Ontario

Re: The Worship of Donald Trump

Post by Coëmgenu » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:12 am

The Cicada wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:37 am
Wayfarer wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 pm
Here, Trump is being equated with modern wealth and power and the ability to bestow prosperity, so, a god or deity representing material prosperity, wealth and power.
He speaks tariffs into existence and unites war-torn nations. He lives in a great white palace and can fly throughout the world. He can screenshot your device and track you via satellite. He speaks to the masses through a tweeting blue bird. He has the power to increase the amount of income tax returns.

Guy's a 33rd degree Mason possessed by some great Deva, obviously.
When Donald Trump was elected, the corpse of Richard Nixon emerged out of the earth in a giant jewelled stūpa and waved the arms of his "body-frame" to acclaim him.
नस्वातो नापिपरतो नद्वाभ्यां नाप्यहेतुतः उत्पन्ना जातु विद्यन्ते भावाः क्वचन केचन
There absolutely are no things, nowhere and none, that arise anew, neither out of themselves, nor out of non-self, nor out of both, nor at random.
सर्वं तथ्यं न वा तथ्यं तथ्यं चातथ्यम् एव च नैवातथ्यं नैव तथ्यम् एतद् बुद्धानुशासनम्
All is so, or all is not so, both so and not so, neither so nor not so. This is the Buddha's teaching.

一切實非實亦實亦非實
非實非非實是名諸佛法

Post Reply

Return to “Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Crazywisdom, Fruitzilla, udawa, zerwe and 52 guests