feeling happy

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
joy&peace

feeling happy

Post by joy&peace »

share why you are feeling happy (if you are)

health, sun,

people are kind and faithful ..

these reasons for me .

with love,
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: feeling happy

Post by Queequeg »

I'm happy because I have things to be grateful for.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Sometimes, I'm happy out of nothing. But the same with sadness. Sometimes, I'm sad because of nothing. Sometimes people hurt me and I do not feel hurt. Sometimes I become very angry because of a tiny trigger - but fortunately this became less with age.

I want to say: my state of emotional comfort is a matter of my mind, i.e. how I perceive 'sun' and 'nice people'. The sun and the people cannot change my perception.

Feeling good depends on reasons which are not always obvious, I think. Dharma practice helps a lot. :heart:
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

oh Ayu, you should spend more time in the countryside :anjali: :anjali: :anjali:
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Anesthesia just before going under. :twothumbsup:
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

A different point of view by Patrul Rinpoche:

https://www.facebook.com/NagmoWisdom/vi ... A1OTA0NzU/
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

hm.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

I also find a close connection with gratefulness and joy. Indeed, the light from gratefulness can dispel a lot. Joy and gratefulness are almost inseparable, in some cases. There is also a close connection between all of the positive states of being. Dhyana, Samadhi, equanimity, are supports for joy.

To be in equipose throughout all states, this is very natural, and helpful and good. I say it's natural because Buddha-nature is our inherent nature. In life, this is one of the first things that we learn. . . and in Dharma it's one of the most essential things.

I am very happy and grateful for these, (Ava.)

Deep beyond conception: the realm of Buddhas.
They show all beings the way to enter.
Beings inclined to the small, who cling to existence
Fail to fathom the Buddhas’ awakening.

Those of pure faith and resolute minds
Always draw near to good mentors.
All Buddhas grant them the strength
To enter into the Thus Come Ones’ wisdom.

Those pure in mind, free from flattery and deceit,
Are joyful in nature, always delighting in compassion;
Those of broad outlook and deep faith
Rejoice to hear this Dharma.

Abiding in the vows of Universal Worthy Bodhisattva,
One cultivates the pure path of Bodhisattvas.
Contemplating how the Dharma Realm resembles space,
One understands the practice of the Buddhas.

Cleary

and Vimalakirti,
... [who] then expounded the Dharma to them urging them to seek the truth. He declared: ‘You have now set your minds on the quest for the truth and can experience joy in the Dharma instead of in the five worldly pleasures (arising from the objects of the five senses).’ “They asked him: ‘What is this joy in the Dharma?’

“He replied: ‘Joy in having faith in the Buddha; joy in listening to the Dharma; joy in making offerings to the Sangha; and joy in forsaking the five worldly pleasures; joy in finding out that the five aggregates are like deadly enemies; that the four elements (that make the body) are like poisonous snakes; and that the sense organs and their objects are empty like space; joy in following and upholding the truth; joy in being beneficial to living beings; joy in revering and making offerings to your masters; joy in spreading the practice of charity (dana); joy in firmly keeping the rules of discipline (sila); joy in forbearance (ksanti); joy in unflinching zeal (virya) to sow all excellent roots; joy in unperturbed serenity (dhyana);
(not the full paragraph)

and Thay.

May I know how to nourish the seeds of joy in myself every day.
May he/she know how to nourish the seeds of joy in him/herself every day.
May they know how to nourish the seeds of joy in themselves every day.

May I be able to live fresh, solid, and free.
May he/she be able to live fresh, solid, and free.
May they be able to live fresh, solid, and free.

May I be free from attachment and aversion, but not be indifferent.
May he/she be free from attachment and aversion, but not be indifferent.
May they be free from attachment and aversion, but not be indifferent.

These meditations help us water the seeds of joy and happiness in our store consciousness. Joy and happiness are the food of a Zen monk. Before eating, we say, “May all beings be nourished by the joy of meditation.”

What is the nature of this joy? How can we touch true joy every moment of our lives? How can we live in a way that brings a smile, the eyes of love, and happiness to everyone we encounter? Use your talent to find ways to bring happiness to yourself and others—the happiness that arises from meditation and not from the pursuit of fruitless pleasure. Meditative joy has the capacity to nourish our mindfulness, understanding, and love. Try to live in a way that encourages deep happiness in yourself and others. “I vow to bring joy to one person in the morning and to help relieve the suffering of one person in the afternoon.” Ask yourself, “Who can I make smile this morning?” This is the act of creating happiness.

on nourishing happiness

then of course the immortal words of Bassui . . .

(some beautiful letters here: Bassui Tokusho letters

"Like a good Zen student, you are facing that sickness squarely."
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I always thought i'd be dead, or in a really bad state before the age of 30. Here I am at 42 with a happy marriage and kids, stable life etc. My mind is my biggest obstacle, my life circumstances I can be nothing but grateful for.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Trying to find actual happiness in samsara is an exercise in futility.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Master Honen wrote:We have been firmly fettered by the enemy of worldly passions such as greed and anger and have transmigrated in the cage of the delusive three realms. Upon seeing this, Amida Buddha, with deep sympathy like a compassionate mother, cuts our ties of transmigration with the sharp sword of his name, sets the cherished boat of the essential vow afloat on the waves of the ocean of anguish and leads us to the shore of the Pure Land. Upon reflection of this, our joy becomes too much for words; we can wring the tears of joy out of our sleeves, and our heart is overwhelmed in adoration of Amida Buddha.
Namu Amida Butsu
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Norwegian wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:27 am Trying to find actual happiness in samsara is an exercise in futility.
What is "actual happiness"?

Happiness can be found in samsara. Where else can it be found?

The problem is that it doesn't last.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Norwegian wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:27 am Trying to find actual happiness in samsara is an exercise in futility.
An inability to feel conventional happiness is just anhedonia, nothing to do with Dharma. Now if we were taking refuge in worldly happiness.........
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

is Nirvana anywhere apart from here and now?

Bodhi Tree. . .
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

I think sharing results in happiness by default, so see if this helps. I would add sympathetic joy, which involves happiness plus pleasure: >> :cheers:

Return to “Lounge”