Best winter home for retired Buddhists?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Nemo

Best winter home for retired Buddhists?

Post by Nemo »

I'm retired(only 47) now with disposable income. I hate winter and live pretty far North by global standards. I want to hide out 3 months every year eventually.

Chiang Mai and Bangkok look the cheapest. If Bangkok then flights to Tibet, Nepal, Taiwan etc are incredibly cheap and convenient. 2 weeks is different animal from 3 months. Nepal sounds like a great place to visit, not a great place to live.

China and Costa Rica look to be over. Philippines are getting expensive/weird too. So much so LA or Tampa would be better.

Any nomads out there with some opinions? How is Taiwan for English speaking retirees? How much are condos?
Virgo

Re: Best winter home for retired Buddhists?

Post by Virgo »

Nemo wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:21 pm I'm retired(only 47) now with disposable income.
Congratulations!
Nemo wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:21 pm Chiang Mai and Bangkok look the cheapest. If Bangkok then flights to Tibet, Nepal, Taiwan etc are incredibly cheap and convenient. 2 weeks is different animal from 3 months. Nepal sounds like a great place to visit, not a great place to live.
Personally I loved living in Bangkok. There is a forum called thaivisa where you can get more information. Unless it has changed, you need to be 50 to live on a retirement visa, but it is still possible to live there before that, you would simply have to make visa runs occasionally (just to one of the borders and right back in).

I can put you in touch with some expat Buddhists there (Theravada) if you are going to visit Bangkok.

Kevin...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

After I finish my degree in Computer Science, I will probably work in network security for a few years and then retire there in my mid 50's.

Kevin...
Anders

Post by Anders »

I would say Chiang Mai is definitely more relaxed and pleasant than Bangkok.

You should be able to find some western forest monk in the surrounding area too if that's your thing, although most of them are down in Isan.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Congrats, I'd probably use it to be near my teachers or in a big center somewhere, or better yet to do retreats. But that is me.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Anders wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:02 pm I would say Chiang Mai is definitely more relaxed and pleasant than Bangkok.

You should be able to find some western forest monk in the surrounding area too if that's your thing, although most of them are down in Isan.
Yes, it is certainly not as exciting as Bangkok.

Living in one of the non-Tourist areas of bkk is best.
Kevin...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Anders wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:02 pm I would say Chiang Mai is definitely more relaxed and pleasant than Bangkok.

:wink:

Kevin...
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

Very interesting post!

Well i will immigrate to Chiang Mai in 2020.
If there are persons here who have same interests, contact me.

Chiang Mai is cheap and not so hot than the southern parts of Thailand.
In Chiang Mai a very nice house with 3 bedrooms cost only about 750$

So it is affordable to live together in a Buddhist Spiritual Community.

India and Nepal are very near and visiting our Rinpoches belong to the possibilities.

Guess there will be in 2020 sure 9 persons who are interested to join this Spiritual Community.
That can be 3 houses in Chiang Mai.

Have already good connections with Thai people as well with Real Estate Agents

Because the time left is 2 years , preparations can be done very well.
The best meditation is no meditation
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Chiang Mai seems to be the favourite choice. I'll try and get there soon to check it out. I thought Taiwan/Taipei might get some love.
Bangkok might be a great travel hub for a year or two before settling down. Can foreigners buy condos in Chiang Mai like you can in Bangkok? Maybe it is better to rent something quiet in the suburbs. That is where I live in Canada.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

A lot of people find it difficult adjusting to the sub-tropical climate. I am not sure how much experience you have in that regard. I would recommend spending a while there before making any permanent moves. The most expensive part is the air ticket. You can get cheap accomodations that are liveable anywhere in the country that you might be interested in living. I would book a flight and stay a few weeks in Bangkok, a few weeks in Chiang Mai, and so on. Make plans after that. Your on retirement time now. :)

Kevin...
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

I'm lucky enough to live in the tropics in a first-world country :twothumbsup: so my perspective is a bit different.
For me, the big differences in liveability are about noise, crowding, public health, roads, political freedom, etc. In those terms, Chiang Mai is pleasanter than Bangkok, but Thailand is not such an automatic choice. For instance, Southern Japan is pretty warm and Japan is beautiful, although expensive compared to SE Asia. Hawaii? Southern China? Sri Lanka? Spain?
Personally, I could be tempted by Singapore: no language problems, good standard of living,vibrant multicultural community, direct flights to just about anywhere in the world ...

:coffee:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Virgo wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:13 pm A lot of people find it difficult adjusting to the sub-tropical climate. I am not sure how much experience you have in that regard. I would recommend spending a while there before making any permanent moves. The most expensive part is the air ticket. You can get cheap accomodations that are liveable anywhere in the country that you might be interested in living. I would book a flight and stay a few weeks in Bangkok, a few weeks in Chiang Mai, and so on. Make plans after that. ...
:good:
A lot of people who move here like the climate but a lot hate it so much that they can hardly wait to leave.
Our winters are paradise - day after day of sunshine and 25C temps - but our summers can be uncomfortable.
If you're really close to the Equator (e.g. Singapore), there isn't much seasonal change and it's quite hot and humid all year.

If you're only going to live there a few months at a time, look at seasonal rainfall charts and pick a place which is relatively dry and not too hot in the winter/dry season.

:namaste:
Kim
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 pm
A lot of people who move here like the climate but a lot hate it so much that they can hardly wait to leave.
Sure, local foods can also be a problem when moving.

Kevin...
Anders

Post by Anders »

Nemo wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:54 pm Chiang Mai seems to be the favourite choice. I'll try and get there soon to check it out. I thought Taiwan/Taipei might get some love.
Bangkok might be a great travel hub for a year or two before settling down. Can foreigners buy condos in Chiang Mai like you can in Bangkok? Maybe it is better to rent something quiet in the suburbs. That is where I live in Canada.
Taiwan is beautiful and the people lovely, but you'll want to acquire a basic grasp of mandarin if you are planning on staying for any length of time.

If that's not an obstacle, it's a worthy consideration.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
kalden yungdrung

Nemo wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:54 pm Chiang Mai seems to be the favourite choice. I'll try and get there soon to check it out. I thought Taiwan/Taipei might get some love.
Tashi delek,

The place to go to, is for me personal dependent on:

- Buddhist country
- the monthly costs
- Climate
- Near to India and Nepal , because of my Masters
- If that country has a bi-lateral contract with the EC (European Community) . Cannot stay in every country, in some countries the retirement bank does not pay

As far as i know non Thais cannot buy property as foreigners in Thailand.

exceptions are:

- One is married to a Thai
- one has a companyy , Ltd etc. in Thailand

Renting houses is in Chiang Mai cheaper than somewhere else in Thailand.
Like told before i want to live in Chiang Mai in 2020, together with other Buddhists and together one can afford a bigger house with garden, big rooms, good kitchen etc.

Have a foundation on behalf the contracts can be signed.

Am not in a hurry because we have 2 years to look for that special house in the northern part of Thailand , where the climeate is better than in the rest of the country.

Maybe i will meet you in Chiang Mai.

Best wishes.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Are there things like retreat cottages near Chiang Mai? By moving overseas I can afford a little cabin for retreat up in the hills. Would that work there?
kalden yungdrung

Nemo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:14 pm Are there things like retreat cottages near Chiang Mai? By moving overseas I can afford a little cabin for retreat up in the hills. Would that work there?
Tashi delek,

That is difficult to obtain.

Mostly one can rent a house there.
The Thais are fully prepared to receive retirement people.

The most westerns can afford 300 Euro rent, that is nearly a montly wage of a Thai .

I studied that topic many times and one option is founding a Tibetan Buddhist Community for westerns in Chiang Mai.
That means meeting people with the same interests who are satisfied with a bed room and attached bath room and shared living room, kitchen and garden.

In that wy we can survive easy in Thailand.

Best wishes
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:42 am
Nemo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:14 pm Are there things like retreat cottages near Chiang Mai? By moving overseas I can afford a little cabin for retreat up in the hills. Would that work there?
Tashi delek,

That is difficult to obtain.

Mostly one can rent a house there.
The Thais are fully prepared to receive retirement people.

The most westerns can afford 300 Euro rent, that is nearly a montly wage of a Thai .

I studied that topic many times and one option is founding a Tibetan Buddhist Community for westerns in Chiang Mai.
That means meeting people with the same interests who are satisfied with a bed room and attached bath room and shared living room, kitchen and garden.

In that wy we can survive easy in Thailand.

Best wishes
This is an interesting plan. Foreigners can legally own condos in Thailand, but not land. They could be built around or near a central temple. What do you think the best temples are around Thailand? Particularly Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Bangkok is one of the best hubs for air travel in Asia. I may want to travel a bit before I settle down.

I do very well in desert and jungle to my surprise. Winters just kill me now.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

If you're American, San Diego would be my choice. No visas, immigration to do.

Daytime high temperatures around 65 to 78 for 98% of the year. (22 Celsius)

Best beaches, walking, biking trails, and at least 63 Dharma centers:
https://dhammawiki.com/index.php/San_Diego
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

DNS wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:00 pm If you're American, San Diego would be my choice. No visas, immigration to do.

Daytime high temperatures around 65 to 78 for 98% of the year. (22 Celsius)

Best beaches, walking, biking trails, and at least 63 Dharma centers:
https://dhammawiki.com/index.php/San_Diego
I'm not American and the cost of living in San Diego is high, particularly real estate. It's out of my comfort zone with maintaining a place up here in Canada as well. I'd rather be well off in Bangkok than poor in San Diego. Decent small condo in Bangkok is still 60K USD, no property tax and maybe 400$ a year in condo fees. Bangkok has over 400 temples. If Cali I would go some place isolated in the desert. Maybe near Joshua Tree if it was still cheap.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... y2=Bangkok

Return to “Lounge”