Identifying two statues

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Identifying two statues

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Greetings! I saw these two statues in the Rainbow Bazaar in Oahu. I don't recognize which buddhas or bodhisattvas they depict. The eight-armed statue appears to be holding a lotus and vajra, among other things. The red fellow may be in the Japanese style.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
red buddha.jpg
red buddha.jpg (101.55 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
eight-armed buddha.jpg
eight-armed buddha.jpg (193.41 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
Namu Amida Butsu
Tenma

Re: Identifying two statues

Post by Tenma »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:08 pm Greetings! I saw these two statues in the Rainbow Bazaar in Oahu. I don't recognize which buddhas or bodhisattvas they depict. The eight-armed statue appears to be holding a lotus and vajra, among other things. The red fellow may be in the Japanese style.

Thanks for your help!
The first one is Guan Shi Yin Pusa. The second one, it seems more like just any decorated Buddha. Nothing special.

Nice to hear someone in Oahu. I lived there last year in Mililani. :twothumbsup:
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I don't think the above is correct. Anybody have ideas? :shrug: They were in a market instead of a temple, so I wonder if they're not actually specific buddhas. They did have an actual Guan Yin and Amida which I didn't photograph, however.
Namu Amida Butsu
cyril

Post by cyril »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:31 am I don't think the above is correct. Anybody have ideas? :shrug: They were in a market instead of a temple, so I wonder if they're not actually specific buddhas. They did have an actual Guan Yin and Amida which I didn't photograph, however.
The second-one could be a form of Amogapasha Lokeshvara, an eight-arms manifestation of Avalokitesvara. Usually, Amogapasha is depicted standing (not sitting in meditation posture) and holding different hand implements such as water vase, noose, mala, scripture, trident and lotus flower. However, there are Amogapasha images from the days of the Khmer Empire displaying vajra, lotus, conch and so on, in manner similar to that statue.

"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

cyril wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:59 am
Monlam Tharchin wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:31 am I don't think the above is correct. Anybody have ideas? :shrug: They were in a market instead of a temple, so I wonder if they're not actually specific buddhas. They did have an actual Guan Yin and Amida which I didn't photograph, however.
The second-one could be a form of Amogapasha Lokeshvara, an eight-arms manifestation of Avalokitesvara. Usually, Amogapasha is depicted standing (not sitting in meditation posture) and holding different hand implements such as water vase, noose, mala, scripture, trident and lotus flower. However, there are Amogapasha images from the days of the Khmer Empire displaying vajra, lotus, conch and so on, in manner similar to that statue.

But why a Buddha-like figure instead of a bodhisattva figure? Unless it's just some sort of market Buddha that is stereotyped in a way with many arms or whatnot, I don't see it as accurate.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

My guess is both are Kannon.

The first looks like the style in which the gender is ambiguous. This evolved into a female appearance in China and Japan. The phallus looking object may be the tall vessel the feminine Kannon is often holding.

The second looks like an eight armed manifestation - Fukukenjaku.

See OnMarkProductions for more info http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/kannon.shtml

The discrepancy in iconography may be due to the "folk art" nature of the second image.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

:thanks:
Namu Amida Butsu
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:52 am My guess is both are Kannon.

The first looks like the style in which the gender is ambiguous. This evolved into a female appearance in China and Japan. The phallus looking object may be the tall vessel the feminine Kannon is often holding.

The second looks like an eight armed manifestation - Fukukenjaku.

See OnMarkProductions for more info http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/kannon.shtml

The discrepancy in iconography may be due to the "folk art" nature of the second image.
The first statue is certainly Guanyin, but the hand implement is a ruyi scepter, not the bottle more commonly associated with Guanyin.

The second statue is a modern creative work, it does not follow any iconographic tradition whatsoever.

Return to “Lounge”