Pumpkin Pie and Auspicious Signs

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Virgo

Pumpkin Pie and Auspicious Signs

Post by Virgo »

So I went for a drive to Farmer's Market earlier to get some pumpkin pie, as I especially like having pie for breakfast, and a bear cub crossed in front of my car from right to left. That is actually an auspicious sign. When a solar animal (bear, dog, etc) crosses in front of you from right to left that is auspicious. When a lunar animal (rabbit, deer, pheasant, etc) crosses in front of you from left to right that is auspicious.

These are not major omens. They usually pertain to an event that will take place later that day.

I learned this from one of my astrology teachers, but if I remember correctly, I think the source is the prashna marga.

Kevin...
pemachophel

Re: Pumpkin Pie and Auspicious Signs

Post by pemachophel »

Kevin,

Does that also mean the opposite, i.e., if one of these animals crosses in front of you the opposite way, that's a bad omen?

In any case, I also love pumpkin pie for breakfast. My wife makes a killer pumpkin pie.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

pemachophel wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:39 pm Kevin,

Does that also mean the opposite, i.e., if one of these animals crosses in front of you the opposite way, that's a bad omen?

In any case, I also love pumpkin pie for breakfast. My wife makes a killer pumpkin pie.
Hi Bob,

You are a very lucky man!

Yes, you are exactly right. Solar animals crossing from left to right, and lunar animals crossing from right to left are inauspicious.

All animals are classified as either solar or lunar. Generally aggressive animals or animals which we may be scared of are solar animals and timid or fearful animals are lunar animals. So cats are lunar, dogs are solar, and so on.

Again, if I remember correctly, this is from prasna marga.

Kevin...
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Kevin,

You may find this interesting. I was with Sangyum Kamala, Chatral Rinpoche's Khandro, the last two weeks. We were at a stupa building and consecration in Iowa. A couple of days ago, we started thinking about leaving, our work nearing completion. The Sangyum said yesterday, Oct. 20, was a bad day to travel. So we pushed back our departure date till today. However, then things changed again and we really wanted to leave yesterday. So I went to the Sangyum to see what wiggle-room there was. Here's a precis of what She said.

Tibetans have lots of nam-tog around these kinds of beliefs. So for them, they are operative. However, we Westerners do not have these nam-tog. So they are inoperative for us. I mentioned that, as a Dorje Gotrab practitioner, the root terma (I believe it's the root terma) says that such practitioners don't have to worry about bad astrological omens. The Sangyum then confirmed that. Further, She said that since I had sung-kor of H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche and Chatral Rinpoche hanging from the front window of my car as well as the Namchu Wangbang, the Kalachakra design of the 10 vowels, we also didn't need to worry about traveling safely.

We arrived home early this afternoon safe and sound due to the blessings of the Guru and Three Jewels.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Hi Bob, it's very good that you do those practices and keep those objects. Such things can help avert many problems such as ones that could occur from travelling. Interesting story.

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. :)

Kevin...
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

I would give anything to meet Sangyum Kamala. She is simply divine— in all ways. How much longer will she be in the states?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I am going to pick up another one. You know turmeric is a great spice for baking in to them as it increases agni. Other spices too like nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon are also all good for increasing agni and taste great. I also like to put some honey on top (though this is contraindicated by TM and Ayurved for actually baking) just before I eat the pie which also helps increases agni, the digestive fire.

Kevin...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Virgo wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:27 pm turmeric is a great spice for baking in to them as it increases agni
Here is a nice little article on the digestion increasing spices.

http://www.ayurvedacollege.com/blog/ayu ... l-benefits

:anjali: Kevin
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

MMMMMM Pie for breakfast....gotta try it.
on signs...
recall the Hale Bopp comet.. 1997..

it's said comets are harbingers ....well shortly after that comet was viewed for 18 months ....911 occured which changed the entire world we live in...
Turning the West into an Orwellian nightmare. Yeah yeah I know it's all for our own good .... :thinking:
Naawoo

Post by Naawoo »

An auspicious sign is what will lead you to bliss, and an ominous sign is what will lead you to evil.
There is nothing originally auspicious or ominous. Everything only follows law of causality.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Where in Iowa?
pemachophel wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:08 am Kevin,

You may find this interesting. I was with Sangyum Kamala, Chatral Rinpoche's Khandro, the last two weeks. We were at a stupa building and consecration in Iowa. A couple of days ago, we started thinking about leaving, our work nearing completion. The Sangyum said yesterday, Oct. 20, was a bad day to travel. So we pushed back our departure date till today. However, then things changed again and we really wanted to leave yesterday. So I went to the Sangyum to see what wiggle-room there was. Here's a precis of what She said.

Tibetans have lots of nam-tog around these kinds of beliefs. So for them, they are operative. However, we Westerners do not have these nam-tog. So they are inoperative for us. I mentioned that, as a Dorje Gotrab practitioner, the root terma (I believe it's the root terma) says that such practitioners don't have to worry about bad astrological omens. The Sangyum then confirmed that. Further, She said that since I had sung-kor of H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche and Chatral Rinpoche hanging from the front window of my car as well as the Namchu Wangbang, the Kalachakra design of the 10 vowels, we also didn't need to worry about traveling safely.

We arrived home early this afternoon safe and sound due to the blessings of the Guru and Three Jewels.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Lhasa,

Phurba Thrinlay Ling in Lansing, Iowa for the building and consecration of Acharya Lama Dawa Chodrak's memorial stupa.

Now back home in Colorado.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

pemachophel wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:29 pm Lhasa,

Phurba Thrinlay Ling in Lansing, Iowa for the building and consecration of Acharya Lama Dawa Chodrak's memorial stupa.

Now back home in Colorado.
How was it?

Return to “Lounge”