Vitamin D Research

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Virgo

Vitamin D Research

Post by Virgo »

This is some really interesting research. It seems now up to 10,000 IU per day is believed to be optimal for adults.

Northern Hemisphere: we are now entering that season where deficiency is very common.

I started taking 2k IU per day today and am going to step it up another 2k per day each week until I hit 10k IU for the winter.

Kevin..
amanitamusc

Re: Vitamin D Research

Post by amanitamusc »

Virgo wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:23 pm This is some really interesting research. It seems now up to 10,000 IU per day is believed to be optimal for adults.

Northern Hemisphere: we are now entering that season where deficiency is very common.

I started taking 2k IU per day today and am going to step it up another 2k per day each week until I hit 10k IU for the winter.

Kevin..
Vitamin D draws on your magnesium supply. If your magnesium level is is low already
you can have problems.A good grade magnesium will solve that.
You might want to monitor your D levels.Good luck. :twothumbsup:
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Get a thorough blood test done before you start to supplement with things like minerals, vitamins, essential amino acids, or other. At best it might be that you just end up pissing away expensive supplements that the body isn't using, or worse, you are getting too much of something you don't actually need, and it'll end up being a problem for your health.

If you really need supplementation, then you'll find out after you see a doctor and get a thorough blood test.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Most DR's only test for serum magnesium levels which make up only 1% of total magnesium.
Its true with to much magnesium your body just excretes it but vitamin D from
supplements can have negative effects already has enough.
If you your DR only checks serum magnesium levels you can get your total magnesium tested here.
https://requestatest.com/

My Dr put me on 10,000 iu of D per day.I was very low.She failed to tell me about the
relationship with D and Magnesium and i was suffering very strong symptoms of
very low magnesium levels that were being even more depleted from the large amounts of
D. You should always follow up on DR's .Many are clueless.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

amanitamusc wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:08 pm Vitamin D draws on your magnesium supply. If your magnesium level is is low already
Thanks for that. I had no idea. :thumbsup:

Kevin...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Norwegian wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:31 pm Get a thorough blood test done before you start to supplement with things like minerals, vitamins, essential amino acids, or other. At best it might be that you just end up pissing away expensive supplements that the body isn't using, or worse, you are getting too much of something you don't actually need, and it'll end up being a problem for your health.

If you really need supplementation, then you'll find out after you see a doctor and get a thorough blood test.
Thanks, I did a few winters ago and I was deficient. I was put on the equivalent 7000 IU per day at the time with a prescription which was one time-release capsule every few weeks so every capsule had a huge amount of D). I realized I could buy the same dosage as an over-the-counter drug if I just took it as a daily pill instead.

Kevin...
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Virgo wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:41 pm
amanitamusc wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:08 pm Vitamin D draws on your magnesium supply. If your magnesium level is is low already
Thanks for that. I had no idea. :thumbsup:

Kevin...
Then there's calcium and zinc to consider. This is why supplements often have all 4.

There also exists indoor lamps that emulate a wider spectrum of light.

oh, and many mushrooms are great at aborsbing vit d. So sun soak your mushrooms before eating for an extra boost.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

My D level was the lowest my doctor had ever seen. She put me on 50K IU twice a week.
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Vasana wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:12 pm
oh, and many mushrooms are great at aborsbing vit d. So sun soak your mushrooms before eating for an extra boost.
:thumbsup:
Dorje Shedrub wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:44 pm My D level was the lowest my doctor had ever seen. She put me on 50K IU twice a week.
Yes, those Indiana winters can be quite cold and dark:

Return to “Lounge”