I need some help for an internet research

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Ayu
Former staff member

I need some help for an internet research

Post by Ayu » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:06 pm

Someone asked me to explore about maleware that is shipped accidently.
How often do we receive maleware by friends or aquaintances via email, facebook or any other media without intention? Or the question from the other way round: How much maleware is sent at all and how often is it sent with criminal intention?

Does anybody know any website that publishes figures in % best case?

Thank you :namaste:
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: I need some help for an internet research

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi, Ayu,
In English it's usually spelled "Malware" and a search for that term should get you plenty of results.
All I can say as a user is that I have rarely had problems with getting stuff from anyone I know but I do routinely get suspicious emails - phishing scams, Nigerian gold, etc - from strangers. Of course I do not click on links in them, so they haven't been a problem either.

:coffee:
Kim

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 pm
Hi, Ayu,
In English it's usually spelled "Malware" and a search for that term should get you plenty of results.
All I can say as a user is that I have rarely had problems with getting stuff from anyone I know but I do routinely get suspicious emails - phishing scams, Nigerian gold, etc - from strangers. Of course I do not click on links in them, so they haven't been a problem either.

Kim
Thank you. :mrgreen: I started to wonder, why this ware is male. :tongue:

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Ayu wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:59 pm
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Hi, Ayu,

Kim
malware, (the case will not matter in searches) mal - from French bad, etc. from Latin or from malicious also from French, from Latin, etc. + ware from software.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/mal-?re ... sreference

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Search term: "frequency of malware distribution"
2017 in Figures: The Exponential Growth of Malware
Security Report 2015/2016 pdf AV Test
State of Malware Report pdf, MalwareBytes Labs
Kaspersky USA Computer Viruses and Malware Facts and FAQS

and many, many others

Search term "methods of malware spread"
How is Malware Spread?
Virus Bulletin Spreading Techniques used by Malware

and again, many, many others

You could narrow the search by adding specific institutions (universities, government organisations) but in general both searchs returned high quality mixes of public, private and academic sources of fairly high reliability.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:39 pm

So, thanks. I'll check that out.

I can find very much about the different kinds of viruses and about which software is affected and so on. But it's hard to find any fresh information about the question in the OP.
If i compare it to the question "How many fruit grow on planet earth?" for example, the specific question was: "How many people ate poisonous fruit offered by a friend last years?" In % from the whole amount of fruit / malware, please.

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Ayu wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:39 pm

I can find very much about the different kinds of viruses and about which software is affected and so on. But it's hard to find any fresh information about the question in the OP.
If i compare it to the question "How many fruit grow on planet earth?" for example, the specific question was: "How many people ate poisonous fruit offered by a friend last years?" In % from the whole amount of fruit / malware, please.
This is very easy to find. However I'm preparing to leave on a several hour trip to attend a tsok just after noon.

Here is one response that has part of your answer : https://www.gdatasoftware.com/blog/2018 ... umber-2017
Report: Malware Poisons One-Third of World's Computers (from 2014)

[url=https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity- ... lDifferent types of virus from Norton (a very general presentation)[/url]

I had a professor who started a US government database detailing all viruses, trojan horses, etc. which was very influential in the mid-2000's. They sent alerts out all the time. Now I can't find it anymore (it was headquarter at a university in Pennsylvania).

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Ayu wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:39 pm

Via a five-second Google search: https://www.technewsworld.com/story/80707.html

And:

https://www.av-test.org/en/statistics/malware/
https://www.networkworld.com/article/31 ... arget.html
https://securelist.com/it-threat-evolut ... ics/85541/

You can find a lot if you dig.

tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Ayu wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:59 pm
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Hi, Ayu,

Kim
It's not particularly male, it's just Human. I would say the right spelling should be malaware meaning "wrong attention"
Whether you are male of female, you may get malware due to malawareness :tongue:

tp

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Thank you Kirt and Norwegian. Have a save and inspiring trip, Kirt.

Also those other funny comments and spelling hints make this boring work a little lighter for me.

Return to “Lounge”