Chilling adventures of Sabrina. Did you watch?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
climb-up

Chilling adventures of Sabrina. Did you watch?

Post by climb-up » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Did anyone else watch The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina?
I read the first trade paperback, but hadn't kept up so I only knew the story through the first couple of episodes.

It's no Buffy...
...that is just an objective fact. And watching this show is absolutely make you NOT want to be a witch (the witch community is, literally, an almost one-to-one inversion of uptight puritan values), but all-in-all I liked it.

I have been told that I must watch AHS Apocolypse as well. I saw the first episode, no witches yet, but we'll see.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Chilling adventures of Sabrina. Did you watch?

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:10 pm

climb-up wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm
I read the first trade paperback, but hadn't kept up so I only knew the story through the first couple of episodes.

It's no Buffy...
...that is just an objective fact. And watching this show is absolutely make you NOT want to be a witch (the witch community is, literally, an almost one-to-one inversion of uptight puritan values), but all-in-all I liked it.

I have been told that I must watch AHS Apocolypse as well. I saw the first episode, no witches yet, but we'll see.
I thought it was terrible, also being a big fan of Buffy and Angel. Hell, even Riverdale has a few episodes that are kind of clever, so I expected the show to at least be lightly entertaining. I found it disappointing personally, a snoozer. Acting and writing was flat, plot is cliche but not in a cool or clever way, just blah. Maybe I should give it more of a chance but my initial reaction was -yawn-, and I don't watch much TV so gotta be selective.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

climb-up

Post by climb-up » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:10 pm
climb-up wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm

It's no Buffy...

I thought it was terrible, also being a big fan of Buffy and Angel. Hell, even Riverdale has a few episodes that are kind of clever, so I expected the show to at least be lightly entertaining. I found it disappointing personally, a snoozer. Acting and writing was flat, plot is cliche but not in a cool or clever way, just blah. Maybe I should give it more of a chance but my initial reaction was -yawn-, and I don't watch much TV so gotta be selective.
Fair enough.
Did you watch the whole thing, or part of it?
Only asking because one of my friends was very unimpressed by the beginning and it grew on home.

I SHOULD be more selective, but I have automatic buy-in and it would take a LOT for me to actually hate it.
...same with season 10 and 11 of x-files.

OH and, since you are a Buffy & Angel fan (and therefore clearly have good taste), is there anything of a similar genre you’ve seen recently that you’d recommend?

climb-up

Post by climb-up » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Ahhh...
This is about a year old, but I only just saw it. Definitely the next dark, moody CW teen drama ;)

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:25 am

I absolutely loved it, but, I like, as in profoundly enjoy, objectively bad TV. I have had to accept this fact.
佛子。如來智慧。無相智慧。無閡智慧。具足在於眾生身中。但愚癡眾生顛倒想覆。不知不見不生信心。
O, sons and daughters. The Thus-Gone's wisdom. The signless wisdom. The unobstructed wisdom. It perfectly dwells within all sentient beings’ minds. Yet in ignorance, sentient beings err and think it covered. Not knowing, not seeing, not giving rise to faith.
Āryamaitreyanāthasyottarekayānaratnagotraśāstra T1611.827b20

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 am

Though it's not exactly the sort of thing I'd watch, I am encouraged that there is a market in US television for a series where the main characters are promiscuous devil-worshippers. I take this as a sign of hope for society. I'm also surprised that somewhere like Texas hasn't yet passed a law banning it - presumably they're too busy with midterms, abortion and guns.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:00 am

climb-up wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 pm
season 10 and 11 of x-files.
IMO season 11 was better than any of the first 10 seasons.
O, sons and daughters. The Thus-Gone's wisdom. The signless wisdom. The unobstructed wisdom. It perfectly dwells within all sentient beings’ minds. Yet in ignorance, sentient beings err and think it covered. Not knowing, not seeing, not giving rise to faith.

climb-up

Post by climb-up » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:18 am

Coëmgenu wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:00 am
climb-up wrote:

...I don’t think you’re allowed to say that.

Just kidding (...kind of ...lol) but let me ask you, did you watch x-files when it was coming out and, if so, has your opinion changed?
I watched the first 4 seasons when it was coming out and loved it, but I’ve been shocked on re-watching it (half way through season 4 with my daughter right now) how many things don’t hold up. e.g. Mulder is such a jerk so often!

I liked season 11 (...not the robot one, but most of the rest) but I felt pretty alone in that. Same with season 10.

Skinner lives

climb-up

Post by climb-up » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:22 am

PeterC wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 am
Though it's not exactly the sort of thing I'd watch, I am encouraged that there is a market in US television for a series where the main characters are promiscuous devil-worshippers. I take this as a sign of hope for society. I'm also surprised that somewhere like Texas hasn't yet passed a law banning it - presumably they're too busy with midterms, abortion and guns.
Lol, they still might!
But, with so much political tension and unease there is no way that the image of the witch will be suppressed ...though it can certainly be coopted to sell make-up and beauty products (que sera sera).

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:14 am

climb-up wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:18 am
Coëmgenu wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:00 am
climb-up wrote:

...I don’t think you’re allowed to say that.

Just kidding (...kind of ...lol) but let me ask you, did you watch x-files when it was coming out and, if so, has your opinion changed?
I watched the first 4 seasons when it was coming out and loved it, but I’ve been shocked on re-watching it (half way through season 4 with my daughter right now) how many things don’t hold up. e.g. Mulder is such a jerk so often!
Also the alien invasion arc and the black oil never made any practical sense IMO.

I just think 11 was the best because of Dr They

I think that was the best episode they've ever made

climb-up

Post by climb-up » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:51 am

Interesting. We’re just getting into the black oil now; I like it, but (so far) it’s not as interesting as other things.

After we finish season 4, then re-watch the movie, maybe we’ll rewatch season 11 to give it a fair shake.

...Dr. They is legitimately awesome.

Return to “Lounge”