I need some help , i do not like my lifestyle and habits

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Orgyen

Re: I need some help , i do not like my lifestyle and habits

Post by Orgyen »

shivamani3 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:18 pm I am from India , I am a commerce student , i smoke a lot and i listen to music in the evenings which makes me a hyper mental person .

I do not like this habit anymore , i want peace of mind and i want to calm myself down

I only know some breathing techniques .I am surrounded by friends who use drugs like marijuana and lsd .
I do not like any of those .

I have not talked to people like that for the past 6 months and i feel better .

My biggest bad habits are lots of music and my smoking habit

I want to stop my smoking habits too

My last cigarette smoke was 10 minutes ago before i joined this forum

Please help
Hi there ,

Maybe you can find something appropriate but beneficial to replace smoking .
Try listen to buddhist music for a change .
For Smoking , you could find some expertise to help you out . I am sure you could check out on the net whereabouts of the right source nearer to your place .
Try to find some buddhist friends and perhaps search for buddhist temple or buddhist association .
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Smoking requires the cooperation between three things:
Your hands
Your mouth
Your mind.
They work like a gang. It is very difficult to take on (confront, or fight) all three of them at once.
So, you have to take them on one at a time.
If you don't really want to stop smoking, this technique will not work for you. No method will.
But if you really want to stop, do this.

FIRST STEP: Don't put the cigarette in your MOUTH. I know that sounds stupid and obvious, but just don't.
Get someone else to light it for you. Or, if you have to puff on it to light it, only inhale a tiny bit, just enough to get it burning.
You can still hold it in your hand. You can smell the smoke, but you can't put it to your mouth.
You can still hold it in your mind.
Imagine that it is dog shit.
Do this for one pack of (20) cigarettes. Now you have defeated one of the gang members.

SECOND STEP: Don't put the cigarette in your HAND or mouth. Have someone else light it, and burn it in the ashtray, like incense.
The hand is a powerful ally to the mouth and the mind.
You can still inhale the smell through your nose. Offer it as incense to all the things you are ashamed of, regrets, or want to change in your life.
Offer it as incense to anything you don't like about yourself, and transfer that to the cigarette, so it represents all those things you want to burn up and get rid of... like smoking!
Do this for one pack of (20) cigarettes. Now you have defeated two of the gang members.

THIRD STEP: Don't put the cigarette in your MIND. This may sound impossible right now.
But after you have defeated his two buddies, the craving mind is like a coward. You still have to confront him, but he is easy to defeat.
He doesn't have the mouth and hand helping him out any more.
You do not have to use any cigarettes for this. You are all done. You have defeated the gang.

HERE'S THE THING THAT WILL HELP: Nobody is perfect. When you begin, if you slip a little, cheat a little, don't punish yourself or give up. After you light it, as long as you don't put the cigarette in your mouth again, you can still hold it and inhale through your nose.
Towards the end, if your craving mind wants a cigarette, you can still hold it in your hand. But don't let it touch your mouth.
But, after two packs, your mind may be easier to control.

When you are really, really ready to quit, commit to doing this. If you don't really want to quit, never mind.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

If possible, spend more time with people who have good habits. Think positive of yourself and cultivate good & healthy habits, because you are worth it.
nada

Post by nada »

I think music is just fine as long as it has a positive effect. When I was a kid I listened to thrash metal but I'm not angry any more so I choose uplifting tracks. As far as the smoking goes I'd probably start with a nicotine patch if you have one available. Additionally when I want to change behavior I create a mantra and I start to count it off every chance I get. Personally I create one that describes how I want to be or feel. Repetition digs a new mental pathway in your brain but you gotta keep at it. Expect to slip and just go back to your practice. Here is a sample mantra I made for smoking...

Smoke free and happy
Smoke free and happy
Smoke free and happy

It's a nice little prayer because it associates happiness with no smoking.

Keep trying, stay positive and know you can do anything with enough practice. Peace.

Return to “Lounge”