time traveling?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Aemilius

time traveling?

Post by Aemilius »

There are tens or hundreds of videos of time travelers (in the Youtube), who say they have been in the future, and now tell us what it is like in the future. Al Bielek is an older one, that has existed for more than a decade. Then there is the ApexTV, which is one of the originals in this branch. But now there are all kinds of people who have copied the style of ApexTV, and are making fun of the original people and their stories.
Start with Al Bielek or the ApexTV, if you are interested. With the present rate the net will be infested with all kinds of copiers or fakers.
Here is one that existed before the flood of time traveling copiers.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: time traveling?

Post by Grigoris »

Whereas Al Bielek and ApexTV are not fakers... :rolleye:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

For my part I can say that my "feeling" is that they are genuine, especially when compared to those new ones that are clearly propaganda & rubbish. This comes into the area of Knowledge of the three times, which is kind of interesting. They must have had an influence, because the various propagandist versions have appeared. The propagandist Time travel -videos are well produced and clearly professional, to my eye at least, which makes me think there are powerful agents or organizations behind them, who want to see the genuine ones utterly destroyed. This is done by the spreading of false, laughable, ridiculous Time travel -stories.
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I can travel to the future too. I’m doing it right now. Still working on the going back part, though.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

PeterC wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 am I can travel to the future too. I’m doing it right now. Still working on the going back part, though.
:rolling:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Here is a greek time travel experiment, secret naturally, but time travel is reality, believe it or not.

svaha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aemilius wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:24 am Here is a greek time travel experiment, secret naturally, but time travel is reality, believe it or not.
Greek time travel? That basically amounts to arriving at an appointment 5 minutes earlier, rather than the normal 30-45 minutes late.

Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Aemilius wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 am For my part I can say that my "feeling" is that they are genuine,
I think you mean your "wish" is that these are genuine.

From what I see here no evidence of any kind is advanced for this stuff. They are just shaggy dog stories, like those from folks whom claim near death experiences where they met Jesus or visited the hell realms. Conspiracy theroies for those who wish their life was more exciting than it is.

Why are you wasting your time on this nonsense?
Last edited by Knotty Veneer on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is not the wrong life.
stevie

Post by stevie »

In my sphere of experience it is very important to investigate into the concept 'time' and what its affirmation supports and what supports its affirmation.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

It might be a good idea to differentiate between 'investigation' and prapanca.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:26 pm
Aemilius wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 am For my part I can say that my "feeling" is that they are genuine,

From what I see here no evidence of any kind is advanced for this stuff. They are just shaggy dog stories, like those from folks whom claim near death experiences where they met Jesus or visited the hell realms. Conspiracy theories for those who wish their life was more exciting than it is.

Why does one believe some people and not believe some other people? Is it the titles and costumes and strange hats that make you believe the stories of buddhist or hindu gurus and masters?
svaha
stevie

Post by stevie »

Aemilius wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:52 pm

From what I see here no evidence of any kind is advanced for this stuff. They are just shaggy dog stories, like those from folks whom claim near death experiences where they met Jesus or visited the hell realms. Conspiracy theories for those who wish their life was more exciting than it is.

Why does one believe some people and not believe some other people?
Why does belief arise at all? Saying this I define 'belief in something' as taking that something to be true and I am differentiating 'belief' and 'faith' since 'faith in something' in my understanding does not depend on taking that something to be true.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aemilius wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:52 pmWhy does one believe some people and not believe some other people? Is it the titles and costumes and strange hats that make you believe the stories of buddhist or hindu gurus and masters?
Because some people tell the truth and it can be verified, whereas others talk complete and utter unverifiable BS.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Why does one believe some people and not believe some other people? Is it the titles and costumes and strange hats that make you believe the stories of buddhist or hindu gurus and masters?
I would guess that many people's practices bear fruit and these amazing figures are part of the same lineages that the
practices came from.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:08 pm
Aemilius wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:52 pmWhy does one believe some people and not believe some other people? Is it the titles and costumes and strange hats that make you believe the stories of buddhist or hindu gurus and masters?
Because some people tell the truth and it can be verified, whereas others talk complete and utter unverifiable BS.

Take as an example the remembering of previous rebirths, which is a mental power acknowledged in Dharma. It is mentioned in the Mahayana sutras, and people should be able to remember their past lives just by reading and upholding certain Mahayana sutras. Can this remembering be verified? Usually not, you just have faith in the words of the master. You just don't realize that it is still faith and not fact, especially in the eyes of other religions or lineages.

We have also Ian Stevenson who studied his whole life the cases when children or adults recalled details from their previous lives, which could often be verified. Did reincarnation become an established fact because of his monumental work? No it didn't, people have made up their minds before hand, and they will never read his work, or the work of others who have continued studies in this field.

Seeing the future is a risky thing (because it can become true), but it is quite essential to many religions. Seeing the future can some times be verified, usually the statements are highly ambiguous, and open to interpretation. Believers gain affirmation for their faith from these interpretations of prophecies, that are felt to have become true. This is a common feature in Buddhism also.
Last edited by Aemilius on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
svaha
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Two points...1) some people clearly are deluded and/ or have a secondary motive which is not liberation from Samsara.
2) Prapanca is not necessarily untrue. It might be true but simply not incline us to freedom from Samsara. Rather it binds us more tightly to the Wheel by endless speculation about the nature of conditioned existence.

Life is short.
Matters like ETI, time travel, ancient archeology, etc etc are luxuries, distractions that bind us to a narrative of duality.
Time travellers and aliens should they exist are still subject to the Three Marks, as are all sentient beings.
The urgent matter is not to understand phenomena, but to transcend the phenomenal.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aemilius wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 amTake as an example the remembering of previous rebirths, which is a mental power acknowledged in Dharma. It is mentioned in the Mahayana sutras, and people should be able to remember their past lives just by reading and upholding certain Mahayana sutras. Can this remembering be verified? Usually not, you just have faith in the words of the master. You just don't realize that it is still faith and not fact, especially in the eyes of other religions or lineages.

We have also Ian Stevenson who studied his whole life the cases when children or adults recalled details from their previous lives, which could often be verified. Did reincarnation become an established fact because of his monumental work? No it didn't, people have made up their minds before hand, and they will never read his work, or the work of others who have continued studies in this field.

Seeing the future is a risky thing (because it can become true), but it is quite essential to many religions. Seeing the future can some times be verified, usually the statements are highly ambiguous, and open to interpretation. Believers gain affirmation for their faith from these interpretations of prophecies, that are felt to have become true. This is a common feature in Buddhism also.
So you believe that the teachings of Buddhism are on par with conspiracy theories about time travel (and other related topics)?

What exactly do you believe the aim of Buddhist practice is? How do these theories fit into this aim?

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:32 am

Two points...1) some people clearly are deluded and/ or have a secondary motive which is not liberation from Samsara.
2) Prapanca is not necessarily untrue. It might be true but simply not incline us to freedom from Samsara. Rather it binds us more tightly to the Wheel by endless speculation about the nature of conditioned existence.

Life is short.
Matters like ETI, time travel, ancient archeology, etc etc are luxuries, distractions that bind us to a narrative of duality.
Time travellers and aliens should they exist are still subject to the Three Marks, as are all sentient beings.
The urgent matter is not to understand phenomena, but to transcend the phenomenal.
Enlightenment is all-knowledge, sarvajña; it is trividya, three knowledges; it is five or four wisdoms, jñana; it is six superknowlewdges, abhijña. It is endless, beginningless, all-pervading, unfathomable.
svaha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aemilius wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:29 amEnlightenment is all-knowledge, sarvajña; it is trividya, three knowledges; it is five or four wisdoms, jñana; it is six superknowlewdges, abhijña. It is endless, beginningless, all-pervading, unfathomable.
While this is true, it does not mean that the Buddhas study all types of false knowledge. It means that ONCE ENLIGHTENED they have complete knowledge of any phenomenon they turn their attention towards.

So instead of wasting your time trying to learn about every type of lie, you should be focusing on enlightenment, so you can discern immediately if it is a lie.

Though the reality is that, in the case of the particular videos, one does not have to be a Buddha to discern that they are fiction (ie BS).

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

:good:

Return to “Lounge”