Bodhi seed malas you can actually find

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
nada

Bodhi seed malas you can actually find

Post by nada »

In doing research for a new mala I came across this Dharma Wheel thread which had some good information including the following page titled Seeds used for Bodhi beads in China. At first the research was tough as there is lots of misleading and contradictory information out there. The first thing I learned is that bodhi seed does not describe a specific type of tree, seed or nut rather it is a catch all for any seed or nut that could be used to create a mala. To quote the article linked above:
In modern times, ‘Bodhi seeds’ do not refer to any particular plant but instead refer generally to seeds and the fruits of various plants used to make prayer beads.
Once that had been determined I tackled the list from the same article to see if I could match the information in it's chart with what was available on the net. There were 26 entries that I couldn't find on the net and there were additional selections on the net that were not part of the chart. I ended up with 35 different types of bodhi seeds for which you can find a mala on the net along with at least two images of each type.

Regarding the Search For column those are the words, when used in a Google search, that are most likely to return information about that particular mala. Use the whole phrase and if their are quotes then be sure they are included. Cut and paste is your friend. I also recommend using Google image search first and then work your way back to the merchant which will save you a lot of time.

Click here for the Google Sheet

Click here to view all bodhi seed images

This information is only based on my personal research and I am completely open to any additions or corrections that may be necessary. Good luck and I hope you find the perfect mala just for you. Peace.
Last edited by Hazel on Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing link for OP
TrimePema

Re: Bodhi seed malas you can actually find

Post by TrimePema »

Thanks for putting this together. It is very helpful and can help others to distinguish authentic bodhi seeds.

However...
Only “Buddha chitta” and “Phoenix eye” but not “small Phoenix eye” are bodhi seeds. The “dragon bodhi seeds” are also called Bodhgaya bodhi seeds as they sometimes can be from there. The “small Phoenix eye” is actually raktu.

Bodhi seed is not a catch all phrase it is just misused as one. It refers to the Nepali seeds called Buddha Chitta from Temal region. I recommend you get one of those malas.
nada

Post by nada »

TrimePema thank you for your kind words. My statement about the bodhi seed 'catch all' was based on my linked reference to an article from the Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine. I have no reason to disbelieve your statements but a reference would greatly assist me in augmenting my research.

Thank you very much. :)
nada

Post by nada »

I forgot something for TrimePema regarding the small phoenix eye being raktu. From what I've researched small phoenix eye comes from Ziziphus jujuba var. spinosa while raktu comes from Ficus benghalensis. Got it from that same article as above.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Nice work! :thumbsup:

Return to “Lounge”