Reiki

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
LoveFromColorado

Reiki

Post by LoveFromColorado »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone practice or receive Reiki and can they comment on its effectiveness? I had my first experience with Reiki this past weekend and it was quite eye/mind-opening. From what I understand, it comes from Japan and the person who brought it to the US was a Buddhist so I thought this a reasonable place to ask :)

Thanks!!

EDIT: Whoops, wrong forum, I meant to post this in the Lounge!! Any chance a moderator could move it?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Reiki

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

LoveFromColorado wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:51 pm Hi everyone,

Does anyone practice or receive Reiki and can they comment on its effectiveness? I had my first experience with Reiki this past weekend and it was quite eye/mind-opening. From what I understand, it comes from Japan and the person who brought it to the US was a Buddhist so I thought this a reasonable place to ask :)

Thanks!!
I think it has the potential to be effective, but many practicing it have done nothing but attend short weekend workshops, and are almost making it up as they go, and call themselves "level x Reiki master". Personally, I would put a lot more stock in someone trained in TCM or Tibetan medicine than in Reiki, mainly because of the training issue. I fully believe in 'energetic' bodywork, but I think that Reiki is for the most part a poor place to look for it, because it is it's own cottage industry of churning out "masters" with no idea what they are doing. Full disclosure, I was a massage therapist for years and have had a fair amount of exposure to "reiki masters".
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:55 pm
LoveFromColorado wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:51 pm Hi everyone,

Thanks!!
I think it has the potential to be effective, but many practicing it have done nothing but attend short weekend workshops, and are almost making it up as they go, and call themselves "level x Reiki master". Personally, I would put a lot more stock in someone trained in TCM or Tibetan medicine than in Reiki, mainly because of the training issue. I fully believe in 'energetic' bodywork, but I think that Reiki is for the most part a poor place to look for it, because it is it's own cottage industry of churning out "masters" with no idea what they are doing. Full disclosure, I was a massage therapist for years and have had a fair amount of exposure to "reiki masters".
Mmmmm... Massage!
love.png
love.png (19.29 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
LoveFromColorado

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:55 pm I think it has the potential to be effective, but many practicing it have done nothing but attend short weekend workshops, and are almost making it up as they go, and call themselves "level x Reiki master". Personally, I would put a lot more stock in someone trained in TCM or Tibetan medicine than in Reiki, mainly because of the training issue. I fully believe in 'energetic' bodywork, but I think that Reiki is for the most part a poor place to look for it, because it is it's own cottage industry of churning out "masters" with no idea what they are doing. Full disclosure, I was a massage therapist for years and have had a fair amount of exposure to "reiki masters".
I certainly agree. The Reiki master I found was through my wife who is trained to level 4 in Healing Touch and has decided to switch to Reiki after experiencing other energy modalities. After she raved about her first experience last week, I gave it a shot. The Reiki master was apparently trained through a world-renowned master who lives relatively close by (she in particular teachings horse whispering and animal communication in addition to Reiki). This master is apparently able to show her linage up to Dr. Mikao Usui. At any rate, I have not verified any of this but I can speak for the experience. The master did not want to charge me at all so I had to force her to take my check... that at least is a good indication of her motivation.

Based on the results of my wife's practice, I too have no doubts about energetic medicine. I have witnessed some remarkable results from what she has done ranging from chronic pain relief to spiritual healing. The patients have been friends so I can vouch for the results.

At any rate, I definitely appreciate the input! There is a Tibetan Medicine Clinic in Boulder (about 2 - 2.5 hrs away), and I would actually love to learn the practice at some point. My own disclosure - I am considering energetic healing as a second career in the future (I'm in my early 40s currently).
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

You mind disclosing the name of this Reiki master?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
LoveFromColorado

Adamantine wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:47 am You mind disclosing the name of this Reiki master?
PM sent :)
shanyin

Post by shanyin »

I have paid for Reiki healings including distance healings. Eventually the reiki healer made it clear that he can't do anything to help me. He used to say he can't help me but I have to do the work, and asked me to write in a journal. Has anyone else had that experience with the diary portion? I found it a bit invansive of my privacy and I feel like I recall him being hard on me and being basically offensively critical. The whole thing seems to be a distraction from my Buddhist interests and practice of meditation. He's a nice guy though.

Return to “Lounge”