Mathematics in China

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Aemilius

Mathematics in China

Post by Aemilius »

There are several highly interesting books about the history of mathematics. The topic is an object of intense nationalistic interests and assaults from different quarters, which is quite natural because mathematics has turned out to be of such great importance for the development of human culture. There is some mathematics in the Abhidharma, but not much, Vasubandhu has made an estimate of the form and size of Jambudvipa (in Yojanas), as an example of Abhidharmic mathematics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_mathematics
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
PeterC

Re: Mathematics in China

Post by PeterC »

Any society that built large and complex buildings and/or had a system of astronomy/astrology had to develop the basic tools needed for calculations. The debate over who invented what first isn't a particularly illuminating one, particularly as the sources for it are limited. The defining feature of mathematics is not any particular result but rather the system of proofs by which results are established: I believe the only pre-modern tradition that developed that was the Greeks. I would be interested to know if any other tradition developed similar approaches.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

First you say that it is not important "who invented what first", and then you say "it was the greeks"! This is quite common, unfortunately. The history of mathematics starts from simple things, there are still tribes that do not have more numbers than 1,2,3 &4, some tribes have 5 numbers, some have 6 or 7, etc... Generally it is believed that sumerians and egyptians had developed mathematics and geometry very early, for obvious reasons. Also, our system of measuring time in 60's and 12's comes from the sumerians.
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
well wisher

Post by well wisher »

Hahaha yeah that is all egos talking , countries fighting over the claim to be first for the sake of nationalistic pride...
Sigh.... couldn't we earthling humans all just get along?
In my opinion, all these riducoulous pride-fighting seems pointless and waste of time.
Please just label math as a useful subject for all of mankind, and move along.
Please Just USE IT when it feels right & useful! Juse use math in your daily math wheneverr you feel like it! It would be much more productive that way too.

Wishing all is well,
An chinese descentdant who immigrated to North America
(Yes, I know I am being slightlly ironic here ; :rolling: )
Quay

Post by Quay »

I would say the important question is not who invented what is now called mathematics but rather who is doing it best. In that regard China is a clear winner. Though whether gold, bronze or silver is a different matter. :)
"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Aemilius wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:13 pm First you say that it is not important "who invented what first", and then you say "it was the greeks"! This is quite common, unfortunately. The history of mathematics starts from simple things, there are still tribes that do not have more numbers than 1,2,3 &4, some tribes have 5 numbers, some have 6 or 7, etc... Generally it is believed that sumerians and egyptians had developed mathematics and geometry very early, for obvious reasons. Also, our system of measuring time in 60's and 12's comes from the sumerians.
Uh, no. I distinguished between individual results - ways of doing an operation, which is what the article you linked talked about - and the system of proof of results, which is how generically the study of mathematics advances. The latter Is crucial, the former is something that every major society gets to sooner or later.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

If you intend to c!aim that deductive reasoning hasn't existed in Sumer, India, South-America, Egypt, and so on... I think you are wrong.
svaha
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

As a former research mathematician, now teacher, I don't know whether the formal systematic approach as developed in Euclid's Elements is what defines mathematics, but it's definitely important. Maths traditionally has been largely about ideas, posing interesting questions, solving problems in out-of-the-box kind of ways, and then a systematic development that typically follows a new direction is also very important.

Which ancient civilisation did the most I don't know. They are just now finding out about ancient African empires and their mathematical discoveries. Persian and Arab mathematicians made large contributions too. The Chinese did heaps. And we all know about the Greeks.

For a serious school of mathematics to take off, a number of factors need to be present, of which talented interested people is just one.

To me, such discussions smack of some underlying racism or an urge to confront such. Like, hey, not only white people are smart. I think it's good to bury this old saw, if we can. It's not worth it.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Last year I read a couple books about mathematics, including history of mathematics. We don't have much material left from ancient Egypt or the other ancient cultures, but there is a papyrus of mathematical problems or mathematical exercises, which has shed some light on the issue of Egyptian mathematics, and other things. I agree that the topic is somewhat unpleasant because of the propagandist claims that one encounters.

Frans De Waal has written books about the intelligence of animals, and it seems that several species of animals have numerical skills. Animals use numbers in different ways, it seems certain now, the list of source material at the end of his book is really extensive.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03933 ... bl_vppi_i0
svaha

Return to “Lounge”