What is the nature of mind?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Malcolm

Re: Interesting excerpt from the (Hindu) Mahanirvana Tantra

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:31 pm
Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:24 pmNo, it is not merely an opinion. There is an entire Madhyamaka literature which definitively refutes the Yogācāra school in terms of citations and reasoning.
And the Catholics have a few things to say about Protestant and Orthodox Christians... :roll:
Greg, you are not conversing in good faith.

Now, if you have arguments which prove Mādhyamika scholars are incorrect in their refutations of Yogacāra, please present them or assent to the point.

Otherwise, it looks very much as if you are advocating a position which declares all religious positions to be valid on their own terms, immune from the refutations of others.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:33 pmGreg, you are not conversing in good faith.
I am conversing in good faith and I feel that the example I gave is quite relevant.

Christian also argue with each other on the basis of logic too. You should read some of the trinatairan vs non-trinatarian ( (Homoousianism and Arianism) debates.

The Trinatarians won. The backing by the Byzantine state helped settle that little tiff. Sound familiar?
Now, if you have an argument which proves Mādhyamika scholars are incorrect in their refutations of Yogacāra, please present them or assent to the point.
1. I do not have to assent to anything. Both are merely belief systems with one currently being dominant. I may agree with one over the other, but that is just my conceptualising and dualising mind playing games.
Otherwise, it looks very much as if you are advocating a position which declares all religious positions to be valid on their own terms, immune from the refutations of others.
Everything is open to dispute and refutation, but that does not necessarily mean that the refutation is valid. Of course that does not mean the countered position is correct either. Or both. Or neither.

Any of this starting to look familiar yet?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:45 pm I may agree with one over the other, but that is just my conceptualising and dualising mind playing games.
I will keep that in mind and ignore all of your comments then, since they are just the random mutterings of your mind and are not to be taken seriously on any level.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:54 pm
Grigoris wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:45 pm I may agree with one over the other, but that is just my conceptualising and dualising mind playing games.
I will keep that in mind and ignore all of your comments then, since they are just the random mutterings of your mind and are not to be taken seriously on any level.
Whereas your's are the targeted mutterings of your mind and are not to be taken seriously on any level since they are just conceptual proliferation (albeit well thought out). :smile:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: What is the nature of mind?

Post by Grigoris »

Can we get on with the discussion now that we have finished with the ad homs?

Thanks guys!

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

bump
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

The nature of mind in Dzogchen is Kadak and Lundup nondual.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Buddhanature.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
florin

Post by florin »

Some Buddhas are sentient beings in disguise, the others are just Buddhas
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

florin wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:57 pm Some Buddhas are sentient beings in disguise, the others are just Buddhas
:twothumbsup:

Return to “Lounge”