Ya don't say...

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Ya don't say...

Post by Queequeg »

Is what we experience, reality?
Experiments my collaborators and I have performed to test the form of sensory perception that evolution has given us suggest a startling conclusion: it isn’t. It leads to a crazy-sounding conclusion, that we may all be gripped by a collective delusion about the nature of the material world. If that is correct, it could have ramifications across the breadth of science – from how consciousness arises to the nature of quantum weirdness to the …
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... the-world/

The rest of the article is behind a pay wall, but here's a summary...

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science ... belltitem2

"I'm saying let's go all the way: It's consciousness, and only consciousness, all the way down."

Have you met my friend Vasubandhu?

Should we tell them? The next step is... It's been called the 8fold Path, among other things...
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Ya don't say...

Post by Queequeg »

The guy is actually suggesting something pretty heavy. Basically, to look at the brain as the basis of consciousness is error, and that consciousness comes first, and the brain is organized as a function of consciousness. Consciousness is also a function of matter in that consciousness is intrinsic in matter.
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta
narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 »

Not convinced Q, aside from the oft-repeated philosophical arguments I dont see evidence that conscious is more significant than say chlorophyll- relatively, a locally important process but how special is unclear. I'm not taking a position on the question personally, just dont know much really.

otoh as soon as someone who is not a quantum mathmetician/physicist starts talking about possibilities of quantum effects then it starts looking a lot like wishful thinking to me.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 pm Not convinced Q, aside from the oft-repeated philosophical arguments I dont see evidence that conscious is more significant than say chlorophyll- relatively, a locally important process but how special is unclear. I'm not taking a position on the question personally, just dont know much really.

otoh as soon as someone who is not a quantum mathmetician/physicist starts talking about possibilities of quantum effects then it starts looking a lot like wishful thinking to me.
Who's trying to convince anyone?
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 pm otoh as soon as someone who is not a quantum mathmetician/physicist starts talking about possibilities of quantum effects then it starts looking a lot like wishful thinking to me.
There’s a term for that...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mysticism
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg »

Well, when you put it that way... Anything other than pulling the arrow out of the eye is... :toilet:
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Here, Since this article is behind a paywall, I did a bit of searching and found a TED video by the same author, on the same topic.

Last edited by Jesse on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
-Henry David Thoreau
Rick

Post by Rick »

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Return to “Lounge”