Starbucks

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
kalden yungdrung

Re: Starbucks

Post by kalden yungdrung » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:51 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:58 pm
You are absolutely right that the government has here the duty to forbid single used plastics, foam cups etc.
What should the penalty be for possession of these forbidden items?
If a person has several of them do they get charged with trafficking?
If it is forbidden , then it is not anymore produces i guess so.
Then nobody will miss the foam cups etc.

People get used to customs and if the product is gone and replaced by a better alternative, nobody will miss it.

It is indeed in the hands of the government to get it run.
The best meditation is no meditation

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:08 pm

emaho wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:36 pm
A bit off-topic, but I just came across this video published today by the BBC on the Sikkimese village of Lachung, where they have banned all single use plastic stuff:
snip
Along the same lines...

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

emaho

Post by emaho » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:15 pm

Fortyeightvows wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:
You are absolutely right that the government has here the duty to forbid single used plastics, foam cups etc.
They should be f*ckin' killed, man. No trial, no jury, straight to execution.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:32 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:05 pm
Caoimhghín wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:45 pm
There's some sort of ban to that effect going down in Canada too in a bit. A&W and, I think, a few other chains trying to cash in on appearing eco-friendly, have switched to cardboard straws already. They work, but you can't put the straw in before you plan on drinking; they only last so long in the liquid before becoming unfunctional.
Should we really be throwing shade when a company actually tries to be better?
If it came off as shade, that wasn't intended. A&W and Tim's, here in Canada at least (I don't know about elsewhere), are also trying to roll out a bunch of meatless synthetic products made by a corporation called Beyond Meat, and they aren't terrible. If I have to use convenience food, if I'm late for work, etc, I eat them myself and don't find them bad, but a lot of people say they experience a vile aftertaste eating them.

As for the straws, I said "they work." That's what a straw ought to do; right? It ought to "work." But you can't just leave these cardboard straws sitting in liquid indefinitely like a plastic straw. So peoples' straw-handling habits will have to change. That's fine. Shitting on corporate initiatives for even the appearance of sustainability isn't what that post was intended as. Apologies if it came off that way.
Queequeg wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:05 pm
I've often lapsed into using elipsis ... when I really ought to be using a semicolon.
I work in court transcription now and never use them, simply because I am never sure if any given usage of them I chose was correct. They are somewhat unnecessary.
savi saghara aṇica di, savi saghara dukha di, savi dhama aṇatva di:
yada paśadi cakhkṣuma tada nivinadi dukha eṣo mago viśodhia.

"All formations are inconstant," he said.
"All formations are stressful," he said.
"All phenomena are selfless," he said.
When one sees this, one becomes adverse to stress, and this is the path of purity.

(Gāndhārī Dharmapada fragments)

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:00 pm

Ah, not the worst thing if you were shading corporations; I'm guilty of it often. (see what I did?)
Caoimhghín wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:32 pm
Beyond Meat
It tastes like chemicals. It tastes like meat the way saccharine tastes like sugar. Still, if it spares some cows, then yay.
[paper] straws
I used one the other day when I ordered a milk shake. Not the most durable product, especially when trying to suck up something so thick.

Going to have to start packing a little kit of reusable cutlery: fork, knife, spoon, straw, mug, and a reusable bag.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Fortyeightvows wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:
What a ridiculous straw man....pun somewhat intended. The efforts towards banning plastic bags etc. don't make consumers in possession of "contraband" for owning them, they make it so that grocery stores can't hand them out like candy. A commonsense change that is oppressive to no one but (one would suppose) manufacturers of plastic bags, the poor things. At least in my town, if you choose not to bring your own bags, you can pay 3 to 5 cents for paper ones.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Return to “Lounge”