Visualizing Infinity

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Aemilius

Visualizing Infinity

Post by Aemilius » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Great explanation of infinity
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

LastLegend

Re: Visualizing Infinity

Post by LastLegend » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Is that a practice ?
Make personal vows.

Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Aemilius wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Great explanation of infinity
This is a very nice video, but the title is misleading. It doesn't help one visualise infinity at all, but rather the very large numbers that come up when one discusses cosmology. Infinity is not a very large number, it is beyond any large number one can have.

To visualise infinity, the first thing one can do is think of whole numbers: 1,2,3,4,5.... Then imagine them going on for ever. Whatever is the largest one, there is one that's 1+ that one. All those numbers together is what mathematicians call the first infinite cardinal, aleph_0.

The next thing one can do to begin to understand the bizzarre nature of aleph_0 is to google Hilbert's Hotel and watch some of the fun videos on that.

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:45 pm

:lol:
Make personal vows.

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:18 am

noun: visualization;

the representation of an object, situation, or set of information as a chart or other image.
"video systems allow visualization of the entire gastrointestinal tract"
a chart or other image that is created as a visual representation of an object, situation, or set of information.
"3D visualizations for architectural design"
the formation of a mental image of something.
"the story uses descriptive language to aid visualization"
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:48 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:36 pm
To visualise infinity, the first thing one can do is think of whole numbers: 1,2,3,4,5.... Then imagine them going on for ever. Whatever is the largest one, there is one that's 1+ that one.
My father told me this when I was 6 or 7. That thought marinated in my mind for a long time and I don't think its inaccurate to say it changed the direction of my life. LOL

In terms of contemplating infinity in a Buddhist context, consider the Life Span Chapter of the Lotus Sutra. I take that as a meditation on the infinite life span of the Buddha, and then in the next chapter, it explains the benefits of intuiting the implications of the teaching which are profound.

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Return to “Lounge”