What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Knotty Veneer

What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by Knotty Veneer » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:45 pm

As this thing spreads, we are getting more and more advice on what to do. Anyone already taking precautions?

I am working from home alot as my wife is currently receiving chemo and so we have to be extra careful. I try to avoid crowded places and I wear gloves alot. I also always wash my hands soon as I get in. My case is extreme because of my wife's illness but I suspect many will be doing something similar in the coming weeks.

I've been doing White Tara practice daily since my wife got ill but I find it a really useful practice in this current situation.

What are you doing?
Don't let the President be worse than the problem.

Simon E.

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by Simon E. » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:29 pm

Hand washing. Mulitivits, extra zinc supplements, ( clinically proven to boost the immune system) ..deep breaths....
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

ratna

Post by ratna » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:19 pm

I try to make sure I get enough sleep -- lack of sleep really weakens the immune system.

R
Don't touch me while I'm tantric.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:41 pm

Knotty Veneer wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:45 pm
As this thing spreads, we are getting more and more advice on what to do. Anyone already taking precautions?

I am working from home alot as my wife is currently receiving chemo and so we have to be extra careful. I try to avoid crowded places and I wear gloves alot. I also always wash my hands soon as I get in. My case is extreme because of my wife's illness but I suspect many will be doing something similar in the coming weeks.

I've been doing White Tara practice daily since my wife got ill but I find it a really useful practice in this current situation.

What are you doing?
Sending you and your wife all best wishes and Metta.. :namaste:

KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:47 pm

Washing my hands more.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:57 pm

I am concerned but my wife who works in an ER seems far less concerned.

I am still concerned. Thankfully I can work far from home in a low population density area to wait it out if need be.

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:10 pm

Nothing whatsoever.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Staying home when sick. I’m in Washington so....gotta take things seriously.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Because I’m working age and in good health, I’m doing nothing. Which, coincidentally, is exactly what the US government is doing too

justsit

Post by justsit » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:04 pm

Handwashing is the most important thing you can do. Make sure you use correct technique, and dry thoroughly.

Another guideline is to try to keep your hands away from your face.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:02 pm

I was preparing for possible quarantine but containment has failed so there isn't much point. This will be a long haul till herd immunity stops it. I'm hoping local medical services don't get overloaded. Then I'd probably have to come out of retirement. There isn't much to do now that it's in over 80 countries. China was too slow, Korea had cultists and Iran is a tin pot theocracy. Bad luck. I've gotten my affairs in order and I'm hoping for the best. Herd immunity rough estimate is 3 years. Hopefully less than 30% infection rate in the first year. Then maybe some antivirals can help the immune compromised who will need to isolate for an extended period. It sucks, but the truth is better than the lies the WHO and Surgeon General are peddling. Immune suppressed need to wear masks obviously. HK has gotten seasonal resp illness to actual zero with masks. Image

There are unproven ways to reuse masks in an emergency. Such as keeping them at 60C for 10 hours. I have no idea about Covid 19 though. Some virii are dead after 10 minutes at 50C, some rare ones last till 70C. I wish I could be more help.

Perhaps the flavonoid quercetin might have antiviral properties on Covid 19. Worth the Hail Mary for 30$.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:28 pm
Staying home when sick. I’m in Washington so....gotta take things seriously.
Unfortunately, where I live now in NY (no more TX), Westchester is across the Hudson River, so it’s pretty serious now.

rory

Post by rory » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:19 pm

My housebound mother is 86, in the target group, but fortunately I work at our home which is quite separate from other houses. If necessary I have enough food (tofu, beans, grains, frozen veg) to self-quarantine for 2 weeks.

I wear gloves all the time when I go out, am careful not to touch my face, not to take my gloves off to touch money or the mail. I urge everyone to take sensible precautions, remember there are those in your community who have weakened immune systems. As Buddhists we all should recognize interdependence!

Importantly my mother and I also discussed what we want to do if we get coronavirus. We both agreed that we don't want to go to the hospital, we'd rather stay home and prefer to die in our beds. I'm mid 60's let someone younger or afraid to die have the bed and respirator. My mother believes in the afterlife and I've done Amida practice for 20 years, I'm prepared to go to the Pure Land.

This is a good time to have such a discussion. We all are going to die; I encourage everyone to do Amitabha practice. Start now when you are healthy and when the time comes you will be prepared.

Finally and most importantly I pray at my altar every day, repent my karma and chant Amida's name, also I chant to Kannon-sama for a peaceful death, faith and for them both to come take me to the Pure Land. I chant for all those who have died in China, Italy, Washington State. Finally I chant Yakushi Nyorai's name (Medicine Buddha) for myself and my mother, then my neighbors, my town, my state and the afflicted countries.

gassho
Rory
p.s. Knotty Veneer just chanted to Yakushi Nyorai for your wife's health
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:34 pm

washing hands whenever I reach where I'm going. not touching my face. Avoiding contact with people as much as possible.

If that dude in New Rochelle got it, the virus is already all over the place here (NY).
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:41 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:34 pm
washing hands whenever I reach where I'm going. not touching my face. Avoiding contact with people as much as possible.

If that dude in New Rochelle got it, the virus is already all over the place here (NY).
Yeah, I think it's probably all over in Washington now. I imagine plenty of people are getting it and recovering without ever going to the doctor, I think containing it is probably done. I worry a lot about my Mother, she's immune suppressed.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:49 pm

My wife suggested that we stop going to the local Chinese grocery store (which we both love) for a while, just go to the regular supermarket,
because you don't know if people shopping there have recently returned from Asia.
I'm high-risk for respiratory problems.
I reminded her that the Chinese grocery store has maybe a hundred customers a day, at the most.
The supermarket has thousands of people every day, including people returning from Asia and everywhere else in the world!

What's interesting about this virus is watching the mind.
:rolling:
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:53 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:49 pm
My wife suggested that we stop going to the local Chinese grocery store (which we both love) for a while, just go to the regular supermarket,
because you don't know if people shopping there have recently returned from Asia.
I'm high-risk for respiratory problems.
I reminded her that the Chinese grocery store has maybe a hundred customers a day, at the most.
The supermarket has thousands of people every day, including people returning from Asia and everywhere else in the world!

What's interesting about this virus is watching the mind.
:rolling:

Aye.

Hazel

Post by Hazel » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:46 pm

Washing my hands a LOT more. Until recently, I would only sometime wash my hands after using the bathroom and even then sometimes only the hand that I thought was gross (and by wash I mean rinse). I hate the feeling of water against my skin, but it's no where near as bad as spreading a disease to someone, so I need to suck it up.

I'm trying to chose a mantra to recite while washing my hands and maybe a change up of daily practice.

I am trying hard not to stock up on weeks worth of food as doing so would be socially irresponsible.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:44 pm

rory wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:19 pm
My housebound mother is 86, in the target group, but fortunately I work at our home which is quite separate from other houses. If necessary I have enough food (tofu, beans, grains, frozen veg) to self-quarantine for 2 weeks.

I wear gloves all the time when I go out, am careful not to touch my face, not to take my gloves off to touch money or the mail. I urge everyone to take sensible precautions, remember there are those in your community who have weakened immune systems. As Buddhists we all should recognize interdependence!

Importantly my mother and I also discussed what we want to do if we get coronavirus. We both agreed that we don't want to go to the hospital, we'd rather stay home and prefer to die in our beds. I'm mid 60's let someone younger or afraid to die have the bed and respirator. My mother believes in the afterlife and I've done Amida practice for 20 years, I'm prepared to go to the Pure Land.

This is a good time to have such a discussion. We all are going to die; I encourage everyone to do Amitabha practice. Start now when you are healthy and when the time comes you will be prepared.

Finally and most importantly I pray at my altar every day, repent my karma and chant Amida's name, also I chant to Kannon-sama for a peaceful death, faith and for them both to come take me to the Pure Land. I chant for all those who have died in China, Italy, Washington State. Finally I chant Yakushi Nyorai's name (Medicine Buddha) for myself and my mother, then my neighbors, my town, my state and the afflicted countries.

gassho
Rory
p.s. Knotty Veneer just chanted to Yakushi Nyorai for your wife's health
Firstly go for medical treatment if you need it. In Wuhan where it is out of control and medical services are overloaded mortality rates are over 3.4%. In Korea where they still have medical resources it's only 0.6%. With containment having failed the only way to stop it is for enough of us to get it and become immune. We can't go in quarantine forever. Corona will play out over years now. You can't shut down 84 countries. The 2008 financial crisis caused 500,000 deaths in OECD nations. A this point harm reduction is balancing keeping the economy functional so we don't unnecessarily increase fatalities. We need to let this burn as fast as possible without overloading medical logistics. Vaccine could face the same problems as SARS. It increased mortality in the animals. Maybe we can get a decent antiviral in a year. Herd immunity is the most likely outcome.

All the hospitals here know containment is over. Now it's management. Infection control departments are crap here. It was basically a place where we dumped the incompetent. All they can think about is dogmatically following policies that only work with unlimited resources. Infection control was trying to round up masks from all the floors today. Meaning infection control doesn't even have sufficient masks. Needless to say the floors kept their masks which were put under lock and key weeks ago.

If you are under 50 it's actually a great time to enjoy your favourite Chinese restaurants. They are empty and they make sure the food is delicious. This would have been irresponsible 3 weeks ago but things change quickly.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:52 pm

Nemo wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:44 pm
Maybe we can get a decent antiviral in a year. Herd immunity is the most likely outcome.
Unlikely, just as one can catch the same cold again 4 months after contracting a cold, it is likely one can contract covid-19 more than once since corona virus antibodies are non-persistent; even a vaccine will not be that effective, in reality. There is no cure for covid-19. There is some evidence that there are two strains, one mild, and one more aggressive. At this point, most covid-19 cases are the virulent type.

https://www.germinfo.org

Return to “Lounge”