What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Virgo
Former staff member

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by Virgo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:33 am

Like I said, the WHO is reporting that it is 3.4% now:

https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-19-s ... hould-drop

Virgo

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 am

That's a global number. A little earlier in the conversation, that was discussed. Not every country has even comparable healthcare.
歸命本覺心法身常住妙法心蓮臺本來莊嚴三身徳三十七尊住心
城遠離因果法然具普門塵數諸三昧無邊徳海本圓滿還我頂禮心諸佛

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:40 am

Caoimhghín wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 am
That's a global number. A little earlier in the conversation, that was discussed. Not every country has even comparable healthcare.
Oh, sorry I missed that.

Virgo

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:44 am

Virgo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:33 am

Virgo
Ok, did you actually look at the spreadsheet I posted?

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:48 am

PeterC wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:27 am
I continue to believe that the mortality rate for all population with proper diagnosis and treatment is well below 1%, and for those of working age in good health, it's trivially small. But since everyone is just throwing around numbers without backup, I'll just leave this here, it's updated every few days. You can do your own analysis and draw your own conclusions.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =746235866

Edit: it's not my spreadsheet so I don't guarantee accuracy but the source data stands up to spot checks.
Thanks, this is very valuable.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

smcj

Post by smcj » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:42 am

Okay, so who’s going to crunch some numbers?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:24 am

Hazel wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:46 pm
I'm trying to chose a mantra to recite while washing my hands and maybe a change up of daily practice.
FWIW, I've been saying Vajrasattva's 100 syllable mantra 3 times while hand washing. Takes 20-30 seconds - the recommended period to ensure clean hands.

As for change of daily practice, both the Dalai Lama and Tai Situpa are recommending people do Tara practice or at least recite her mantra, if that might suit you.

Oh and Rory and Simon many thanks for the prayers. Much appreciated!
Don't let the President be worse than the problem.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:13 am

:namaste:
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:03 pm

It may be worth mentioning that people can be naturally (or culturally) affectionate. People like or need to hold hands. If you have children you have to keep them under control. Good luck stopping Grandma from wanting a kiss or stopping baby from smacking you on the face. So it's impossible to avoid caring for old people and babies. It's not the 30 something prepper living in a bunker that needs to be concerned.

There may also be instances of sharing a private or public phone, or multiple people petting a pet (Not an excuse to not pet pets). :pig:

I haven't found much information on whether this strain lasts on surfaces for long. Assuming it does then public trading becomes a nightmare, meaning the Supermarket angle is quite a significant vector as other(s) here have mentioned.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:06 pm

What am I doing?

I'm in the Spiritual Supermarket panic-buying Blessings!! ;)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:38 pm

For those of us living in the US, we need to be realistic about what the government's going to do, which is: basically nothing. They blew the chance to prepare for this properly. There are already local chains of transmission in many places, but insufficient test kits, tracking infrastructure, isolation facilities etc. to attempt any sort of containment. So the easiest way to declare that you've won (as trump likes to do) is to avoid people getting diagnosed by dragging your feet on testing. No test, no diagnosis, no case to report! Congratulations, you've just got another case of the flu, take some tylenol and a sick note. So the virus will basically get out into the community, and everyone will just have to live with it. As a consequence, most other countries will decide that if the US isn't going to bother, why should they, and the various travel bans and quarantine measures are gradually rescinded.

The alternative scenario would be that there is a national panic, the US is shunned by the rest of the world, panic buying happens everywhere (if not looting), national guard comes out, etc. But that feels a lot less likely.

The UK is effectively saying that they're not going to do anything special for this. Once they passed a certain number of cases in the country, they decided that containment was a waste of time, so they're just reminding people to wash their hands and making sure the NHS has enough test kits. Which is a very sensible response, in a way.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:45 pm

Virgo wrote:

Virgo
The WHO is no longer credible. They are trying to control public opinion not give clear honest explanations for people to make informed decisions.

3.4% is a number when you are not testing or containing. That is just how many who show up to hospital die. Korea is still 0.6%, but they test. Germany 444, zero fatalities. Japan 1.6%. France 1.4%. So the WHO is giving a death rate based on doing nothing.That is a political decision.

Should we do nothing? China shut it's economy down and global supply chains are grinding to a halt. It's now in an additional 86 countries. Should all of them shut down? If we do will people still be able to get essential medicines and food? How many will die from economic dislocation? The 08 crisis killed more than 500,000 in the OECD alone. Once it hits undeveloped countries is containment a total waste of time? What do we do about countries like Vietnam and Thailand who are lying about being free of infections? Or America deciding that instead of bringing in socialized medicine for the 28 million uninsured and 11+ million undocumented letting it burn through is a better choice for keeping the stock market inflated for the next election.

It sucks but I don't think there is much to do anymore. I'm stumped. Once the thief is in your house locking the door does nothing.

smcj

Post by smcj » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:58 pm

Protect your health care workers, keep it out of nursing homes as much as possible, help those that are dangerously sick.

And a little Medicine Buddha wouldn't hurt.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:02 pm

Nemo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:45 pm
Or America deciding that instead of bringing in socialized medicine for the 28 million uninsured and 11+ million undocumented letting it burn through is a better choice for keeping the stock market inflated for the next election.
The Dow is collapsing again today.

smcj

Post by smcj » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:12 pm

Trump wrote:"So if, you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work -- some of them go to work, but they get better."

Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:07 pm

smcj wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:12 pm
Trump wrote:"So if, you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work -- some of them go to work, but they get better."
If it is possible to find a very thin silver lining in all this. The tanking economy brought about covid-19 might just lead to the defeat Trump in November. We can only hope.
Don't let the President be worse than the problem.

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:58 am

PeterC wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:44 am
Virgo wrote:

Virgo
Ok, did you actually look at the spreadsheet I posted?
Yep, when I posted that I hadn't read the rest of the thread buddy.

Virgo

rory

Post by rory » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:32 am

Read this link to Nassim Nicholas Taleb, the trader and probability expert who wrote the bestseller Black Swan, predicted the 2008 financial crisis and make his fortune from it. https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1235 ... 77/photo/1 He is an expert on predicting that unforseen occurrances/disasters occur!
I follow him on twitter.
Why it is SELFISH to not worry more about the virus than other sources of risk even if it does not affect you as much.
Individual precaution does not scale to collective precaution.
The point he is making is that if 'low risk' people don't panic and act in a conservative manner, the virus will spread. As he points out it is a low systemic risk but common to all

Finally a big problem is that in Wuhan 10% of the infected needed the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). In the U.S and elsewhere ICU's are small, they are not prepared to help large amounts of people. That is the point of taking precautions: stop spreading the risk. We don't want to overload the Intensive Care Unit of hospitals!

Behave like a bodhisattva; think of others' welfare in taking sensible precautions. Today I was in the supermarket and co-op and saw no one with gloves (not even a very elderly and frail lady) people touching the shopping cart with bare hands, touching their faces, and even a young man barefoot. *sigh* I can't make them take care of themselves. Don't be foolish.
gassho
Rory
:namaste: Knotty Veneer!
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:26 am

Restaurants are starting to take a hit, loss of customers, reduced number of customers. I imagine some big companies might weather the storm until it passes, whereas some small business might go under from lack of customers.

If this expands, tourism is going to take a big hit next, then some industries.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:33 am

rory wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:32 am
Read this link to Nassim Nicholas Taleb, the trader and probability expert who wrote the bestseller Black Swan, predicted the 2008 financial crisis and make his fortune from it. ...
This article has a similar theme, pointing out the incredible systemic fragility that comes from neoliberal policies in both business and health care.
For four decades, American corporations have been caught up in a whole series of refinements that are intended to improve efficiency and productivity. Our processes are lean. Our efficiency is six-sigma. Our productivity has mysteriously run far ahead of employee compensation in a way that has made CEOs billionaires while leaving workers on food stamps.

It’s a system that maximizes profit. But it’s also a system that assumes that everything can be stripped to the bare bones; that business can make do with minimal staffing, minimal supplies, minimal alternatives. Nothing is there that makes the system in the least unprofitable. The system stands like a house of glass, waiting for something to challenge its fragility.

And in the United States, health care is just that kind of system.

Like every other system in America, we now have a super-lean, infinite-sigma healthcare system, absolutely dependent on every cog remaining in place. It’s one in which there are fewer than a million hospital beds for the entire nation; one in which many, many rural counties have no hospital at all. Because that’s the most profitable way of running the system, and that’s what happens when health care is subjected to the winnowing of the marketplace—just barely enough health care, at the highest possible prices people will tolerate without demanding a change.

It’s exactly where a nation does not want to be when encountering a health crisis. And it’s why America is, unfortunately, about to get a lesson in why there is much more to a national health system than whether you pay for it in taxes or with checks to an insurance company. ...

Every intern, doctor, and nurse (especially nurse) who you ever met was overworked, because running the system on the ragged edge of failure is exactly the sweet spot. Or at least it is as far as corporations whose goal is to milk every penny from the process are concerned. ...
Read it all and weep, if you're in the US. :reading: https://buzzflash.com/articles/america- ... t-business

Then go out and work to change the system.

:jedi:
Kim

Return to “Lounge”